The Apple iPhone 5c was announced on September 10, 2013. Repair of this device is similar to the previous models, and requires screwdrivers and prying tools. Available as GSM or CDMA / 8, 16, 32 GB / White, Pink, Yellow, Blue, and Green.

Touch screen problems after screen replacement

I have been replacing screens on iphones for quite some time now. The iphone 5c and 5s are a different animal. The last few that I've done have me puzzled. It seems as if once I put them back together, the touch response is all over the place. After a hard reset they work for a while and then when you go to touch an icon, another app may open and not the one you touched. I've swapped out the screen with a different one and it does the same thing. Is there some sort of calibration to do on these new phones? It's getting to the point that I'm going to turn down customers that bring them in to be fixed.

Am also having this issue with my LG P895 phone.

I am to i have iphone six i was on instagram and then i went to settings to fix it it was glitching or something i had just got my screen fixed last week plz help what do i do

If you are trying to fix an unresponsive iPhone 5c, you're not going to succeed in this repair. Save your money. I wish I did.

well I have that same problem with my 5s. I just got the screen fixed and its touch response is all wacked up. What do I do???

me as well, my 5s screen was just replaced and now the touch response is messed up

I am not a repair man, just a clumsy guy who broke his phone so much that he had to learn how to fix it himself. I'm sure most of you already know about this step, but with the first screen replacement I did I had the same exact problem and it took me three phone breakdowns to figure it out. It is really simple... when you get a new screen, there is typically a red piece of static protection covering the metal back of the screen. There is a little tab that you can grab to remove the protective plastic - if you don't do this before screwing everything back together then the screen will act really strange when you attempt to type. I hope this helps and I don't sound ridiculous!

dude this worked for me... thanks for the info...

At least I'm not the only dumba## out there lol. I fixed a couple 5s(s) but only with the entire lcd package. A few days ago I ordered a replacement for my girlfriend's son but I accidentally ordered a new screen without the camera, etc., so I had to swap out parts. I didn't just figured the back was red for some reason. I'll have to pull that thing out. Thanks for posting.

how do you take apart the phone to see if the plastic is the problem ?

The kit I got from iFixit doesn't have any red piece static protection, as you call it.

Can I fix this without taking my phone apart?

I have done many screen replacements, but now I did the 5c for the first time. Touch was not working well after assembly so I reseated the connectors and it was even worse... no touch at all!

I reseated the connectors 4 times in total with no result. I wanted to give up but took one last attempt.

I blew on the connectors to make sure there was no debry on them and then took a cotton swap drenched in 100% alcohol and cleaned the connectors very carefully. After assembly everything worked flawless.

will you know if the second hand phone you bought had it screen replaced? please reply

Most of the time you can see if its a replacement screen when the connectors have foam pads on top or not.

I hope this answers your question, because I'm not sure what you wanted to know.

I had the same problem, replaced the screen and the digitizer was not working at all after mulitple attempts. Read this post, tried it, and now everything works great! thank you!

iphone 5c replaced the screen and the digitizer was not working

Take apart and remove the protection film from the back of the new screen. Worked for me. I put two screens on before reading that on this site! So greatful

Guys i have a iphone 5 which i replaced the screen with a cheap aftermarket screen it was done right but i had ghost touches i tried everything to fix it but the answer is simplier than you thought i noticed that when i replaced the screen the screen had a screen protector and the touch was perfect after i removed the screen protector i started getting problems its because the cheap screen do not have oleophobic coating which is a anti-fingerprint coating built into the screen without it the screen will think that the fingerprints are actuall touches so the only think that you have to do is buy a screen protector and thats it ..

I bought a fairly cheap 5c screen replacement on Amazon. After about an hour of tinkering with the connections and anything I could think of, but them I put on the screen protector that it came with and it works flawlessly.

Im from chile, and i really appreciate your answer, i really fix the iphone

Wow thanks! I thought I must have screwed up the repair, but even the crappiest screen protector solves this problem!

Thank you so much Omar, you made my day! My iphone 5c screen needed to get fixed & the repair guy tried his best and replaced it 3 times! After 10 minutes or so the touchscreen always did and wrote whatever but not what i wanted! Your tip was the last thing i wanted to try before i get myself another phone.... Cheap protector on - iphone works like a brand new one again! Amazing!

Definitely try this before opening up the phone again etc. I had that feeling of dread when the screen started glitching, but after reading this I could see the finger prints, and as soon as the screen was cleaned and the protector added - it was fine. Just make sure the screen really is clean of grease from your fingers etc. using an alcohol wipe prior to fitting the protector.

Have seen this issue in the iPhone 5 but not the 5c

See the part circled in red cover that part both sides with electrical tape it has cured the issue for me

The 5c screens don't have that part of the cable.

I think this could be my issue.. Ill try to cover it with a tape and comment my result. thanks dude

in my case that part was already covered with tapes. but there was a red protective plastic back side of the new display which I didnt remove prior to the installation. so after removing the protective plastic unresponsive/random touch issue fixed as mentioned in Re: Touch screen problems after screen replacement

Isn't that just the backlight connection? It shouldnt effect the touch

Turn the "Auto Brighness" OFF, set Brightness to Medium... this seems to help

Have a 5c and tried all suggestions above this post, but nothing worked. Actually the screen worked when connected but not fitted into the case. When I press it down and fixed the black screws at the bottom the screen was messed up again. Tried this (OFF), and it works... Must be a low quality screen, but at least now it works good enough

Are you touching the ribbon cable connectors excessively? Could be that the oils from your fingers are messing with the digitizer cable. Try and avoid the cable ends. Another possibility is the quality of the screen. Purchase your screens from a quality vendor.

No, I try not to touch the cable ends. This has me at my wits end! Do you have any reputable vendors where you get your screens?

I cleaned all of the ports and the digitizer started working properly again.

Okay Fellows , Here's the trick. When I replace a screen and if not responsive to touch. Simply unplug the battery and plug back in. Easy Fix!! Good Luck,

Ray pairman

Like u said, it is a trick, but it does not save the problem unfortunately.

I replaced an iPhone 5c screen with a fairly cheap replacement from Amazon. After putting it all back together and turning it on, the screen was unresponsive/laggy and wasn't registering touches accurately. I opened it back up, disconnected the battery and screen connectors, wiped the back of the front screen with some isopropyl alcohol, and cleaned the connectors with isopropyl alcohol. After reconnecting everything, the issue persisted. I again disconnected the battery and screen and then reconnected them. This time it worked perfectly! I guess I just didn't have the connections properly seated the earlier times.

My suggestion is to clean the connections and keep trying to make sure you have the connections seated properly. Good luck!

can i use methylated spirits to clean the connections?

I recently replaced an iPhone 5s screen and I had a problem with the screen doing it own thing (typing, selecting apps etc) I found out that the ribbon cable for the back (home) button was folded under the back hot plate of the digitizer causing this problem.

Hope this helps to anyone having the same problem as I did

Aaron. P

Ok, so WOW....I solved the touch playing up after several screen replacements on one customers iPhone 5S. After throwing 3 screens in the trash thinking I had a bad batch it was something so RIDICULOUS it's not even funny. The LCD shield plate (where the black soft material is on the right side) had a scratch in it that was exposing the metal underneath. Just on a whim, I covered it with a small piece of Kapton (Polyamide) tape. Voila! The theory is there was static electricity build up causing intermittent touch malfunction. This soft black covering must protect from that. This problem seriously was about to send me to the psych unit! See pics...

If this is seriously the answer to this ghost touching madness, I am crowning you a genius. I am seriously on the same boat as you with some of these i5S screens.

did it work, Stavros???

I solved it!

The problem in my case was that I had missed to connect one of the 3 connecters from the screen properly, to the phones mainboard. I bought a really cheap screen from China from ebay, works good!

I had this problem and my screen was broken. It was so unresponsive that is took me 10 tries to enter my password. Gorilla Glue makes a clear tape used for iphone screens cracks (and tents, ect). I got a roll from lowes and it instantly stopped the glitching and protecting my screen from breaking anymore. I don't know why is works, maybe it provides a pressure as the tape is thick. I cut out the home button and the ear speaker and it works amazing! worth a try for anyone with this problem, the tape is $8 that I got at Lowes.

I am the owner of iphone 5s 16gb, and after back case and display replacement i have trouble with screen. I cant click correctly on upper corners. I

1st step i do, is replace from the old display all insulation tape,

2. place insulation tape on every connection (LCD, EARSPEAKER, and 3rd)

2/3. DO NOT turn OFF your phone.

3. dissemble the touch id and open the phone,

4. remove metal bracket (4 screws)

5. disconnect three connectors from display(WHEN IPHONE IS TURNED ON!!!)

6. wait a moment and place the connectors back,

7. unlock your iphone and try.

7/2 if everything works, put bracket back, put back touch id and place it back.

8. that works for me !

USE ONLY PLASTIC TOOLS!!!

place 4 scruves at CORRECT POSITIONS!

Hello, sorry for my poor english, but i will try to explain how i fix this problem in a IPHONE 5S. The problem in my phone start wen it fall to the ground, then the touch screen start to go crazy. I try a lot of things to solve this problem because it was imposible to use the phone. First i change the battery, the problem still remain, then i replace the screen, but the problem still there. So i realise that the problem was in the board.

The board have some metalic contacts to make discharge or something like that from static or whatever, when you put a screen those contacts must touch the metalic back of the screen, if those contacts are not touching the metal or are dirty this make the touch go crazy, so i clean those contacts and separated enough to make sure ther will be a good contact then, voila!!!! The screen was perfect again.

Qu'est ce que tu veux dire par le contact?

The most likely problem is the connector, it very easily pops out of place despite there is a metal plate to secure the screen related cables. So, what is needed- take the screen off and reseat all the flexcables. The digitizer is the topmost and will be below all the others.

I'm not a repairman either but i have been playing around with the different types of iphones & androids. i had this problem just now with my sons iphone 5c and i tried a few different things. the last thing i did was open it back up for the last time & i noticed that the little chrome tip on the front camera cover was setting on top of flex cable instead of up under it. so i took the 2 screws off this cover & made sure chrome tip was under flex cable instead of on top & i also made sure the black film on top of the vibrator was covering the home chrome of the vibrator when i put screen back together & everything works fine now & screenis fully functional & no lines in it. i hope this helps some1 else.

I had a tech that always having this issue while I was using the same screens I would not. I believe it has to do with bending the flex cable and most importantly where your bending it. Don't left the flex cable bend where it connects to the screen. Before installing it fold the flex cable half way up back onto itself but don't crease it while the bottom of the flex is pressed flat against glass. When you take the old one off look at it and you can see where the bend should be. Try this and If you need a picture let me know.

Yes please , take a picture .

I seen a great video of a bloke repairing an iPhone 6 Plus by taking out the logic board, flipping it around and placing electricians tape on the reverse of the digitizer connector pins. I have since tried this procedure and it's been 100% successful in repairing intermittent touch issues. Shame there's no such procedure for the iPhone 5c

I changed my daughter's cracked iph 5c screen and there were lines@top and it was stuck on the flashing apple logo. I held the home button and other top button for awhile and iTunes logo popped up, still had 3 lines @top. I decided to take apart again & one of the 3flex connectors wasn't on proper and it now works. My new issue is that the touchscreen is not so great, very laggy. I am wondering if the padding on the 3connections may be necessary for one in the middle is missing?

I am tempted to put a small piece of electrical tape on top to cover like other 2.

Would that possibly help. ? Please and thank you

So, I dropped my screen ages ago.

This week I thought, let's fix the crack in my screen myself.

I bought a nice iPhone 6 plus screen replacement, knowing that I had to replace everything.

The fix went fine, until the point that my screen got unresponsive in 2 minutes.

Rebooting didn't work

De-assembled and re-assembled, didn't work.

What did work:

Because of the fall my phone made, one of the unibody's corners was (probably) bend.

De-assembled the screen

I bend the corner back, just so slightly

Reassembled the whole thing.

How do you know you have the same thing?

Assemble the screen, but don't put it back in the phone's unibody.

If it works then, and stops working when you put it in: maybe one of your corners is to heavily bend.

Hope this might help the frustrated ones, just like me.

my phone was doing the same after a screen replacement was acting crazy so what i did i removed my phone case and problem solve not sure what to do if either leave my phone without the case or take it back where i got it repair

hello.i have this problem too.my touch screen dont work after lcd replacement.i try all over ways but didnt useful.please help me

Ethan Grier will be eternally grateful.