The 2013 revamp of the desktop Mac series known as the Mac Pro.

Can you upgrade the GPU?

I'm curious if you can upgrade the GPUs later on. I haven't been able to find any answers, but a lot of people asking.

Hi, Did you upgrade you GPU? I have the same question. I want to replace the GPUs to NIVIDA.

Most Helpful Answer

Too new to know the answer - but it would likely be possible (for certain values of possible). MacPro's have long been the "Professional" Mac desktop and as such much more upgradeable than any iMac.

That being said you've never been able to stick just any CPU into a Mac Pro. It would have to be a CPU that was supported as a custom build option by Apple otherwise you'll run into EFI/extension (aka "driver") problems.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

He said GPU....Attention on the "G"

Same answer applies - if there's a vendor that supports the box and OS you're using it will be OK.

Yes. OWC offers a variety of processor upgrades. Those can be found here: Mac Pro Late 2013 & upgrades

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/mac-...

Leo Leporte bought a 2013 MacPro and showed it on his TV show called Twit. (See YouTube) He stated it can be upgraded in his show. Along with the CPU Which other's have done already.

Why upgrade later, when at the time to buy you have 3 choices in the GPU.

I bought the 2013 Mac Pro with D3000 3.7 ghz I7, 1TB SSD And added 4gb of ram to the 12gb that comes standard.

A awesome machine. Mine never over heats. :)

Why upgrade later? Because when I bought it two years ago I wasn't trying to do any serious graphics work (aka Premiere Pro). Now I am, and the D300's are PAINFULLY slow.

If three years ago you bought a four door car but then decided you were going in the bricklaying business would you still try to haul bricks in the car? Or would you buy a used truck?

If hauling bricks just required unplugging a board and plugging in a different board...

Silly analogy.

If you're going to recommend watching a tube video, don't you think you should give a link to it?

Charles Manning will be eternally grateful.