Originally known as "The New iMac" the iMac G4 was created to replace the iMac G3 as Apple's all-in-one desktop computer. The G4 is easily recognizable by its swiveling monitor mounted above the hemispherical computer. Steve Jobs quoted it as being "a design that will last till the next decade."

Blue screen of death

The hard drive won't boot up, but the startup utility does. Is all lost?

You sure you aren't trying to run Windows on it? :P

Good one. Recognize the "blue screen of death" as a MS term... but no.

If you can boot from the startup disk try running Disk Utilities to see if the drive can be repaired. Having a external drive plugged in to save your data wouldn't hurt either. If this doesn't work come back and we'll work on how to replace the drive.

No repair it would appear. I can reformat but lose everything in the deal. I've been told we might firewire the iMac to our MacBook and see if the MacBook recognizes the iMac as an external hard drive. Haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the response!

I would definitely try the firewire target disk mode. I've found that it always works, provided the computer will boot to the point of recognizing the command.

Doug will be eternally grateful.