Home Button Not Working After Battery Replacement

Exactly what it says in the title. I have been back and checked all connections and connectors. Of which are all in place. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Is there any way to fix this issue without having to open up the iphone? It is my dads old one, he had it for about a year and a half.

Most Helpful Answer

Did you touch the two pins that are situated on the lighting port?

Yes, I pushed one pin up to ensure its contact with the corresponding ring and the home button works now.

Where are these pins? Can you post a picture?

There are 2 gold pins on the left of the home button. Shorting these pins will make the phone think the home button was pressed.

So, if you have your screen up to replace your battery, and you try to test your new battery before putting the iPhone back together you'll note that the home button does not work. It's because those gold pins are part of a home button circuit, the electricity goes up one pin, to the corresponding gold circle pad on the rear of the screen harness, then to the home button, back to the other gold circle and down to the other gold pin on the phone. Lifting the screen up breaks that circuit.

Can you please show me a schematic(drawing) of where these 2 gold pins are.

Many Thanks

does anyone have a picture of them?

how do i do this?

agh. i was sweating bullets for a bit with this problem. ultimately, I touched the two gold prongs down by the lightning port, as stated above. i was touching only one, like a dummy, with the screwdriver. then, i got my head straight and realized i'm supposed to touch them simultaneously with the screwdriver. once I did this, the home button activated on the screen. i can't believe my phone is still operating.. the screen had become unglued from the screen assembly, and overall my battery replacement was a messy sweaty nervous affair. thank goodness i stumbled on this fix.. which would be obvious for an electrician, but not for me.

same happened to me: the screen and its harness completely separated. Probably because the bulging battery pushed the screen out quite far and I assume it distorted the screen harness.

This question is a bit old, but in my experience fixing the classic iPhone 5 battery replacement pry damage every day, I've seen one or two phones that don't have the classic iPhone 5 pry damage, but do have pry damage *just* to the tiny resistor next to the U3 chip. This little guy is required for home button function only. In those cases, replacement of that resistor solved the home button problem. Of course this is very unusual---only a possibility if shorting of the two gold contacts on the lightning connector does not activate the home button.

jessa

I also replaced my battery and now my home button and on off button wont work. I haven't touched the resistor next to the U3 chip and nothing else seems to be damaged. Do u think replacement of the lightning connector can fix my problem?

First check to make sure the home button is working when you short the two contacts on top of the speaker housing.

Take a look at step 28, iPhone 5 Speaker Enclosure Replacement

Touch both contacts with your screwdriver.

I just replaced my battery as well and noticed after I was done the home button no longer worked. Everything went fine as far as taking it apart.

I've replaced many parts on iPhones on all gens and never had a problem.

I did touch the two pins together to test the home button but nothing at all happens. I even put back the original battery but still nothing. I metered the contacts on the home button on the LCD and it shorts fine. Both pins are good but again even shorting them directly does nothing any help would be great, thanks

Btw power buttons and everything else work fine it's just the home button.

Any progress and eventual success? I have the same problem. I found a procedure how to replace the home button cable but I did nothing around it so I do not think that is the problem.

Same dead home button issue here. Shorting the leads to the home button while the phone is open doesn't trigger the home button either. I saw a few posts about pry damage knocking some small ICs off of the logic board, but mine appear intact and this only effects the home button. All other buttons work. Anyone have success in troubleshooting/fixing this? I'm not sure which internal components to test.

If you have shorted the two gold prongs that's on the lighting port and it's not activating the screen then it's a faulty lighting port

I have a 5s, will this fix work? Aldo I don't know what pins need to shorted.

no. no home button on the 5s is most likely damage to the home flex or the home flex connector.

I've had the same problem and shorting the two gold pins makes the phone wake... do I need to replace the home button?

Update- replaced the lightning connector and that sorted it... but now it won't charge :-/

Also had the same problem on a 5C. shorting pins worked. However reassembling and power cycling still did not bring it to life. I raised the pins a bit, no effect. What worked was shutting the phone off, then powering it back on by holding home and power. The apple logo appeared, disappeared, then reappeared while holding down both home and power. I released the buttons, let the phone boot up and all is well! I figure this is some sort of hard reset process with the phone off.

This post is useless if someone has the knowledge to replace the battery they ought to know how the home button works "gold prongs". What is the resistor next to the u3 chip? That's kinda important if you want to order one and how do you replace such a small resistor (small chip size). I'll try to get back if I ever find the real solution and not "bad home button" arrg! the battery replacement doesn't effect the home button! Btw if you need a work around you can go to "settings-general-accessibility-AssistiveTouch-on, and that will give you a home button on the screen (software) - it's a pain in the a** but it's a work around for now.

I replaced my battery in my iPhone and thought problem solved. Then I realized home button not working. After trying all the stuff online and with no success I reopened my iPhone and noticed that I had bent down the two gold contacts while I was trying to pull my battery out. You'll see them just below battery. I took a very small sewing needle and pried them up. The problem was they weren't making contact with home button contacts on screen side of phone. All fixed!

Same issue here. Thought I pushed the two pins back out enough but no luck. Then I applied pressure on the screen where the pins are and it worked so I went back and pushed the pins out more. Works fine now.

Craig will be eternally grateful.