Mid 2006 / model number A1181 / black or white case / 1.83 or 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor.

Trackpad click button is jammed

The click button on my trackpad has become jammed. It still functions but must be pressed hard to generate a click. Pressure on the palm rests will generate a mouse click because of this condition.

Is this likely to be something that removing the keyboard and cleaning might fix or would I need to replace the entire top cover, trackpad and keyboard?

Thanks,

it worked omg

Try to insert a sheet of thick paper around the button to remove dust, dirt or a grain of sand that can be stuck there.

You can't access the button from under the top case so if the paper manipulation don't work you'll have to replace the upper case assembly.

Thank you for the quick response.

I have tried the paper technique to no avail. It appears that the underlying button is jammed.

Is there anyway to lubricate the button from the top side?

Good call. I used the corner of a magazine cover and it worked perfectly!

This &&^&^$^ worked!!!!

Blowing on it didn't work well for me... Instead I ripped up an envelope with the sticky strip on it into bits and licked them before gliding it along the track edge to collect any debris inside

Same problem - as a last resort used WD40 while holding the computer so that excess would not run into the main part of the computer. Been working for several years just fine.

Ok, this may seem a little weird. My trackpad had the exact same issue and I solved it by blowing in it rather hard. Press your lips on the side that is not "clicking" correctly and blow a few times. Make sure your lips build a good seal though.

Or, a short burst of air from a can of can'ed air.

May really just be dust/crumbs stuck under there. This should do the trick though.

I was experiencing a different trackpad issue - it was clicking and holding with light taps - and while a reboot didn't work, blowing did! Apparently all kinds of symptoms can show when you have dust, but the solution is simple.

Never comment on these type of things but holy &&8^ it actually worked to blow on it. Was this close to taking my cover off.

the blowing worked for me but when i set my laptop down the lower left corner does not click very well and when i lift it up it clicks fine. Any solutions?

.......blowing actually worked. wow.

Okay, thats crazy and it totally worked!!

Usually caused by swollen battery pressing on the underside of the trackpad.

You can remove and try and bend the battery outwards for a temporary fix, but

new battery is the only permanent fix.

Bending a swollen battery is a very highly questionable solution.

Which is why bending is only temporary fix. I've heard other solutions of taking the battery apart and putting holes in the cells to allow gasses to escape!!!! A slight bend to relieve pressure until a new battery is installed is much more favourable wouldn't you agree? It worked for me and kept me up an running for the week it took for new battery to arrive from ebay.

This could also be due to a defective battery. Remove the battery and inspect to see if it is bulging in the middle. If so, leave the battery out, reconnect power supply and reboot the laptop. If trackpad button functions correctly now it's time to get a new battery!

Swollen battery was totally it for me; thanks sogsy!

Swopped out my battery ( Not OEM Apple battery) and hey presto, problem gone!! Many thanks for the right suggestion.

Having dealt with A1181 button issues for many years now, I've found the situation often cannot be resolved, but the first and most effective step to take is to remove the battery (and make sure the battery isn't swollen -- that will cause a problem in itself) and firmly press up on either side of the button from inside the battery cavity. This will usually cause a cracking sound, as a seal formed by years of gunk buildup is broken. This alone will often restore the "click" to a "soft" button.

If that doesn't help, take a look at the underside of the button -- you'll see there is a strip of metal down the center of the button. Take a pair of tweezers and slip the flat end into the small space between the left side of the button and the metal strip, and then pry slightly, making the small space first about 1mm, and then if that doesn't do it try 2mm. This reduces resistance between the left side of the button and the "clicker mechanism" and often restores usability.

But if that doesn't help, it's most likely a lost cause. These topcases are flimsy, and the more you mess with them , the less the chance they are ever going to work again.

Also, as one final thing to try, put the battery back in and see if the push of the battery against the underside of the button helps -- sometimes it does. OEM batteries are best for this since they tend to be thicker.

Finding this response, after my wife's MacBook core duo did the same thing, and discovering the remedy recommended was to replace the whole top cover, I tried the lub fix.

I took out the battery and hard drive and got a can of WD40 with a straw nozzle. Holding the computer upside down, front lowered and slanted away from the hard drive compartment, flushed the click from the back side with several busts under both sides of the click. I wiped it down with paper towel, cut 1/4" strips of paper and ran them back and forth under the click cover - again on the back side- until they came out dry. Wife says works fine.

What do you have to loose?

Elkhorn 10/4/12

PS Site managers; Would be helpful to have a component list with directive to whether replaceable and in which procedure one should look for instructions. Wondered around a couple of hours and did not find out what to do about replacement until finally I found this hint when I went to send in a question. You helped me with screen replacement on this one and Keep up good work.

I thought I would be the odd one out and have to say the blowing didn't work. Instead, I get to say that the blowing was the first step. Then some (unintentional) gentle pressure unlocked it with a click sound as I resorted to having to use the right bottom pad only. Voila! All better now!

This issue just popped up again for me on another MacBook Pro.

Always check the battery first... swollen battery. Replaced it and the trackpad is back to normal.

My macbook air 11inch has a jammed trackpad and I used the method where i slide a piece of paper around the trackpad but it doesn't work. I also tried the blowing method but it didn't work any other solutions.

Steve Mattson will be eternally grateful.