MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2010

Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

Screen yellow where white should be

Hi all,

I haven't dropped my macbook or anything at all recently, and I'm experiencing a very peculiar issue. Last night everything was fine, but this morning I turned on my mac and the first thing that happened was that I saw vertical red lines all over the screen where white should be and flickering green dots a little bit on where black should be. After a couple of minutes all of that disappeared and instead it's now only yellow where white should be. Here are two screenshots, I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it as it may only appear on my screen, but please let me know:

http://i.imgur.com/TYYgQYb.png

http://i.imgur.com/GuQ9oGZ.png

I have the tools necessary to put apart my laptop (like the 3 basic screws) is there anything I can do? I don't want to go to the Apple Store just yet as their repair costs are probably expensive and I'm not sure about my warranty but I think it may have expired already, so I'll only go if I can't fix it myself. What exactly should I do?

Thank you!

Your Pics look OK, so I suspect you took screen shots (via the keyboard) which is not technically snapping the image of the display, You would need to take a camera taking a picture of the display.

by Dan

If you could connect an external monitor to your system I think you would find the image was OK.

by Dan

I had the exact same problem and just wanted to write how I fixed it for anybody else trying to find a solution.

There is a cable that goes between the computer and the screen, seen in step number 9 in this guide: MacBook Unibody Model A1278 LVDS Display Cable Replacement

Do everything in that guide until and including step 5. When you have the lower case removed, turn the computer on. Now lift the plastic tab on the cable shown in step 9, but do not unplug the cable. This made the display return to normal for me and also stopped a high pitched noise coming from the connection.

Mentioned Items

Thank you so much I thought I would have to spend a lot of money to get it fixed.

by nathanf1089

Most Helpful Answer

First try running Apple Hardware Test AHT to see if anything pops up there.

If nothing shows up I would first suspect the display LVDS cable was damaged or the connection to either the logic board or the display side was not correctly seated. If you could not see any damage or the connections are fully seated then the likelihood is the display has gone bad.

It fixed itself yesterday on its own o.O Really weird, though if it does happen again then I guess I should just replace the display. Thanks for your answer, really appreciate, very helpful to try to figure it out! :)

sharminess will be eternally grateful.