Android-based media tablet by Amazon with 7" multi-touch color display. Repair requires only screwdrivers and prying tools.

Intermittent USB Power Port - Common Problem

Looks like my wife's Kindle Fire has helped us join the ever-increasing club of owners that are having issues with the USB power port. We're having to wiggle the plug ''just right," until we see that it's actually charging. Sometimes that works... sometimes it doesn't. Doing a Google search returns a lot of people having the same issue, but other than teardowns, no one is saying that this is fixable in any other way than replacing the entire motherboard.

I would love for this site to focus on this component to see if it's prone to coming loose or if it's the likely cause of an intermittent connection.

Is there any chance someone could take a look and possibly help a whole lot of people with one assessment ?

in the same situation

I too looking at same problem of having to wiggle wiggle cord in port just right to get it to charge!! Very frustrating and time consuming! Looking for a resolution also.

My wife just saw her 2nd Kindle have a non-working USB. The death happened in the middle of an ebook. Unhappy doesn't come close.

I have had trouble for a long time have just decided to check on the net and found it to be a common problem. Have Amazon had anything to say?

I am on my second kindle because of this problem. I cannot buy another something had to be done

Most Helpful Answer

We repair these A LOT! The jack is unbalanced on the Main Board and is easily detached by normal wear and tear. Soldering the jack back on to the board is a little tricky but the real repair is getting the port sturdy to prevent the issue from re-occurring.

We do a full repair by removing the old solder on the board and the jack then reattach using flux and fresh solder. We also reinforce the port so it doesn't happen again.

I send my kindle for this repair + the glass: Where to?

I apologize I just saw your post. I'm not allowed to post that information but if you look at my avatar it may give you something to google :)

Hi my name is Laerte and I have problem with my kindle fire I replace the usb port on it bu still don't charge.

Can I do this without losing any history, progress, etc?

All data remains on the Kindle if the repair is successful. This repair does have a high success rate. In some cases, about 15% of them, the leads on the board are damaged. This too can be fixed depending on which lead. However, there are some main boards that are just too far gone and need to be replaced. The Kindle Fire boards are getting scarce and the price for them is in the 40-50 dollar range lately which is about double of what they were selling for last year.

I am here to offer you all a solution to the common USB port problem. I was among those who could not find a way to fix the charging port on my Kindle Fire. It seemed to be impossible to find the correct OEM replacement. So, I decided to take it apart, in hopes I could find a common USB replacement that would fit, even though it was not the same as the OEM charging port that came stock. After searching everywhere for one that would work, I had no luck. Then, I went on ebay and asked around a bit, turns out that the USB port was very unique and very hard to locate as it is one of a kind. One seller, told me that they would have the part in stock in a few days, though I had my doubts. Then a week later, I got another response telling me the part was now in stock and a link to the listing where I could buy it. They said they had limited stock, however they are still available. They were a little expensive, but the part seemed to be an exact match to my original and after soldering it in, my Kindle Fire is now working great once again. I was so pleased with this seller, I thought I would share it with you as it is such a common problem. Their part number is USB830 and here is a link where you can buy it. Hope it helps. Replacement OEM Kindle Fire USB Charging Port

Jesus Christ, $30 for a usb port?! Outrageous.

Talk about robbery!

Only 7.59 on ebay with free shipping .

Mikebrungs, having scoured the forums over the last few month, the problem is most certainly the micro USB port. You could try disassembling your Kindle to check on the problem. Follow this guide and check the solder connections on the micro USB port. It is very likely that they have either come totally off the motherboard or that they have micro cracks. It might be possible to reuse the old connector and resolder it, or you may have to find a new connector. If you need a new one, you could check mouser.com or digikey.com for a micro USB that fits the dimensions of your Kindle. If anyone would post the exact dimensions of the micro USB port, we could try and find an equivalent part. It is highly doubtful that the port is proprietary. I hope this helps, good luck.

Kindle Fire Motherboard Image

Guide

Kindle Fire Motherboard Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate20 - 30 minutes

Same as above: will disassembling the Kindle delete memory, history, games, books, progress, etcetera?

Most of these jacks can be re-secured without replacing. They just don't flow enough solder through the joints on the board so they break off the board pretty cleanly. If folks would put their kindles away while charging them it would help a lot (also, if they wouldn't try to plug in the cables upside down it would help too :-) I usually can save and re-use the original jack at least 75% of the time that I repair these.

Just search on ebay for kindle fire usb charge port and you'll find many $15 or less replacement jacks if you need one to repair your own and you're comfortable with tiny solder work. These aren't your HAM radio kind of solder repairs though, closer to jewelry soldering, so judge your skills fairly.

You could try to open it up and reflow the solder around the USB jack. It may be that these connections have a cold solder joint or 2. There are 4 small pins coming out the back. Also, both sides are soldered down to provide ground to the outside of the USB.

If all of the connections are good, you could putt some supper glue around the jack to try to hold it to the board better.

Our Kindle Fire was plugged in, charging when it fell about 3 feet onto the hardwood floor. It landed right on the cord where it was plugged in and bend the USB end of the cord.

When I took it apart, I found that the USB jack had completely broken off with 2 of the pins still connected to the PCB. With some jerry rigging and fancy soldering, I was able to reconnect it to the board and it worked! I was surprised and my wife was thankful.

The USB port is a weak point with this tablet... and most devices these days.

I found this site yesterday, as I been having the same problem for over a year. My backround is an electronics design engineer in the powwer area. I have taken my Kindle apart several times, and thought the intermitten problem was the micro USB connector. But I thought it was the contacts that interface with the USB cable. After reading on here some of the post, I took it apart again this morning. This time I took the USB connector out of the frame and looked at it under a microscope. The interface connector pins were fine, but the pins that make conncetion the board above were really oxidized, especially the negative pin. In my opnion thats the real problem. It's a bad design from the get go.

I then wired brushed the pins, and bent them foward a bit, reassembled the unit. It started charging as soon as I pluged it in. This connector would have been ok to use if it were soldered to the board, but mold to the plastic case would had to have been changed to give it clearence to fit in, without distorting it when assembled.

Larry E.

Thanks Larry ... this sounds like the plausible problem and answer ... greg y.

Pinch kindle where usb plugs in and apply pressure charging light goes on and kindle light charges.If light goes out when you release pressure use a spring powered paper clip to keep pressure applied while charging.Took a lot of fiddling to come up with this method.

My wife too had the same problem. Why do wives buy Kindles?

I removed the back from the Kindle, removed the USB port and very, very gentley squeezed the ground casing around the port to grasp the cable more tightly.

It now works fine 'till the next time?

All the best from

Paul McLeod.

After dismantling and desoldering and resoldering so many times, I could open the Fire in 10 seconds.

I also found a cheap solid solution without buying a new port.

I made used of the head phone port.

Only one short wire is needed to jump the usb +5volt to headphone port + terminal. Ground terminals are shared or connected on the motherboard. No jumping of ground is needed.

Cut an old broken headphone wire.

Cut off micro usb charger plug.

Connect the +5v/ground to headphone 5mm male plug with a pig tail. Solder and tape up. Done.

A multimeter is needed in addition to soldering iron, solder, paste, electrical tape.

This new alternate charging port has been working happily over 3 months.

On my kindle usb port there are five pins that connect to the mother board. I have a first generation kindle fire. What do you mean by cutting off the micro usb charger plug?

Sometimes it is not the Kindle at fault but the quality of the charger/lead/connection. Non-OEM stuff often just isn't very accurate.

As an alternative to Amazons own charger, I recommend trying the OEM Blackberry PSM04R mini-usb charger 5V 700mA. It does not seem to suffer from the same intermittent loose connection problems of some other chargers; it always makes a firm connection

If it's a 2013 Kindle Fire HD 7 (2nd generation), replacing the USB port is cheap and easy. I posted a video: Kindle Fire HD 7" 2013 USB/Charging Port Replacement

I own 3 Kindles of various generations. I have found through experience that only the Kindle brand power cord works; the universal charger cord results in "jiggle the cord" problems. The universal or generic cord does not last very long and has an inadequate connection for fast charging. The power adapter for wall charging must also have the correct amount of allowed charging/watts. You can order the brand Kindle items on the Amazon.com website. It is a pity that the Kindle device requires proprietary accessories, yet Amazon doesn't state this before you buy a Kindle. The only reference to this is in the instructions where it tells you to only use the cord that came with the Kindle. This is a sly bit of misdirection that gave me a great deal of aggravation until I figured it out. I hope this works for you.

You can take apart the tablet and replace the charger port, it costs around 6 dollars, to buy a new port, you also need a soldering iron 15 watt, clean off old solder put new port solder in takes about 5 mins. To fix, 20 minutes to get it open and take old port out. I have been buying broken tablets fixing them and reselling. I am not a technician. I learn from YouTube. I am stay at home mom. I love electronics.

I just recently started having this problem with our kindle fire. I've checked on how to do the repair myself...the cost of parts and supplies. I've checked another members business (Quantumcomputerrepair) and they charge $40 for repair. Then I contacted kindle customer support. Now my Warranty has been gone for a long while, but after talking with them they gave me a $15 discount on a new kindle ( my cost now only $18) and it will be here in two days. I can't buy the parts and supplies for $18 and its a lot better than $40 for a repair to an old tablet. Fixing things doesn't always mean breaking something open!

mikebrungs will be eternally grateful.