Model A1237 or A1304 / 1.6, 1.8, 1.86, or 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

USB semi-fried? And no love of airtravel!

OK.

It appears my one single solitary USB port is poopx0red and will only work partially. I suppose I should count my blessings, but what that means is that it will not properly eject discs (tried drive on alternate Airs, no problems), I cannot use a powered hub for squat, causes problems with some USB devices, and, oddly (and perhaps this is not related), the thing just DIES above 2000ft or so when flying (a pressure thing, I bet; perhaps not related). Anyway TL;DR - Can I replace the USB port myself? I have no fear of basic soldering and my warranty is definitely out (first model). Is this recommended? More importantly: Are there cheap replacement parts and will I kill my MB by attempting this (assuming I'm not an idiot)?

I'm sorry for the delay in response, as I've been away, but let me assure you I was able to read your responses that same day and I just wanted to say: You Guys Rock.

Thanks so much for your help. I've placed the order for the part and look forward to performing the repair. I never imagined you could make it so easy for me; I was expecting to have to jump through flaming hoops to even approach the answer... let alone order the part and have a GUIDE

I'm... super grateful to you all.

Thanks,

~a

I'm not sure this is the answer to your problem--it could be the logic board but this URL will take you through replacing the usb port. Ralph

MacBook Air Models A1237 and A1304 Port Hatch Assembly Replacement

iFixit has the part in stock. Ralph

MacBook Air (Original) Port Hatch Assembly

Might be a good idea for him to check in system profiler if the USB port is showing up when it doesn't work.

Wouldn't hurt. I assumed that since it worked intermittently that it was showing up. Ralph

Nice research and links +

anatinus will be eternally grateful.