15 - 30 minutes
My iPhone 4S loudspeaker stopped working completely one day. I thought it was a software bug as some people have reported. Iniitially sound was very feeble and I tried things like blowing into loudspeaker, cleaning connector, etc. Sucking air from headphone jack and loudspeaker worked once!! Yes sounds weird but it did. But then there was some static and things stopped working again same day. Tried everything - like even jail breaking my iPhone and deleting some files etc as posted on some apple support blogs. Nothing helped.
Finally decided to change the speakerphone.
Perfect. If the various software solutions posted online dont work for you.. your speaker is probably broken. Sad but true. Anyway, its been a few days and my new speaker is working as new. Oh, how I missed hearing my iPhone's sound ;-). Maybe using it in shower broke it (steam). Not sure.
Anyway, I was a bit skeptical at first but it just worked.. It's not difficult.. Yep, go for it! I'm defintely more confident of doing some more complex "procedures" on my iDevices now.
1. Don't do this in a hurry. Do it on a weekend perhaps.
2. Don't allow kids into your room. Seriously, they like tinkering with stuff and you don't want to lose any small part.
3. Take a plain white or light color bedsheet etc. and operate on that. Sometimes a small piece/screw might just jump out and disappear otherwise.
4. When you take out screws and other pieces, put then in an order in some flat container. So that when you fix things back, you know where to put what.
5. Don't worry but be gentle. If something isn't happening as you thought it should, double check in the guide.. Or search for some ifixit videos as well to get a better idea. It's easy but if u don't pay attention, you can ruin ur iPhone.
Wish you good luck!
Wish I kept photos.. Just forgot.