1 In Progress Guide
These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
For more information regarding common troubleshooting issues, check out Xbox One Elite Controller Troubleshooting.
Background and Identification ¶
The Xbox One Wireless Controller Model 1698 is a handheld device used for game control on the Xbox One. Microsoft created this controller specifically for professional gamers. It can be customized in several ways; however, most features of this controller are shared with standard Xbox controllers.
The quickest way to identify an Elite controller is to look for the model number on the inside of the battery pack. If the controller is an Elite controller, it should have Model 1698 printed on the back of the battery pack. Another way to identify the Elite controller is to check if the back of the controller has four silver paddles. If they aren’t there, then there should be four slots below the battery pack, each with a green dot next to it.
The following fetures are shared between models 1537, 1697, 1698 and 1708:
- The Start and Back buttons found on the 360 controller have been replaced with the Menu and View buttons, respectively.
- The triggers on the Xbox One controller have been mounted with individual rumble motors to enhance the gaming experience.
- The Xbox button now glows white when the controller is switched on.
- The controller features a micro-USB cable at the top of the controller to enable charging while plugged into the console and connecting for use with a computer.
The following features are shared between models 1697, 1698, and 1708:
- The controller now features a 3.5mm headphone jack, which makes the headset adapter optional. While the headset adapter is no longer required and can be controlled in software, the headset adapter will continue to work.
The following features are unique to Model 1698:
- The Elite Controller includes four back paddles that can be customized for specific gameplay functions using the Xbox Accessories application.
- The thumbsticks and directional pad can be replaced with custom pieces.
- The buttons on the front can be programmed in the configuration settings to have the functions of other buttons using the Xbox Accessories application.
- The Configuration Switch button, on the front of the controller beneath the pause button, allows the user to switch between different controller mappings.
- The buttons are a tinted grey.
- The rear triggers are adjustable with the hair trigger locks to shorten or lengthen the movement of each trigger.
The Elite Controller is best suited towards Windows 10 users, although it works on Windows 7 and 8.x without an issue. It uses the Xbox Accessories application on Windows 10. This program allows you to create custom maps and is how you will save the controller maps that are frequently used to the controller. To connect the controller to a PC, you will need to use a MicroUSB cable or the Xbox One Wireless receiver. Bluetooth is not available on Model 1698.
The major limitation with this controller for Windows 7 and 8.x users is the inability to customize controller mappings. Despite the lack of customization, the default controller mappings are still available for use. For those who can customize their controller mappings, there are benefits. Custom maps allows a user to switch between the stock button mapping and a custom mapping that better suits a game or gamestyle (Ex: Fighting games).