The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. between the years of 2006 and 2013.

Random Mac Pro restart/shutdown

My tower just randomly restarts or shuts down. I took it to a certified Apple repair and they said nothing was wrong with it, however the problem persists.

I did have them professionally clean the inside because I noticed the fan would come on stay on after a certain point.

It's also well ventilated.

If I do not use the computer for days, it will work fine for a while. However if I use it consecutive days, the problem appears and happens more frequently. I spent $700 having the "repair" place clean it and tell me nothing was wrong.

Please advise.

There is software that shuts down, and boots up your computer automagically. Look at what applications launch at startup.. Some possibilities: - System Preferences Energy Saver. Cache cleaning, anti-virus or backup software.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

For anyone having this issue :

Shut down.

Pull out both RAM drawers.

Remove all RAM.

Remove all dust (preferably by dry compressed air).

Carefully but firmly re-seat the RAM on the drawers.

Re-seat the RAM-drawers in your Mac Pro.

I've had this random shut-down issue right around the time Steve died, so it could also be related to his reality distortion field energy playing havoc on my Mac Pro ... but somehow I doubt it ;-)

(The restart occurs after an unscheduled shutdown, if you have automatic restarts enabled in the Energy Saver preference panel.)

If that doesn't sort it, remove all RAM, and reinstall just 1 pair.

Test pair by pair until offending pair is found.

Then swap 1 RAM module with one that is known to be OK to find the offending module.

You are correct Sir, Thanks for the information.

Cynthia will be eternally grateful.