The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. The first generation model includes the machines from 2006 through 2008.

Random Mac Pro restart/shutdown

My tower just randomly restarts or shuts down. I took it to a certified Apple repair and they said nothing was wrong with it, however the problem persists.

I did have them professionally clean the inside because I noticed the fan would come on stay on after a certain point.

It's also well ventilated.

If I do not use the computer for days, it will work fine for a while. However if I use it consecutive days, the problem appears and happens more frequently. I spent $700 having the "repair" place clean it and tell me nothing was wrong.

Please advise.

There is software that shuts down, and boots up your computer automagically. Look at what applications launch at startup.. Some possibilities: - System Preferences Energy Saver. Cache cleaning, anti-virus or backup software.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Most Helpful Answer

For anyone having this issue :

Shut down.

Pull out both RAM drawers.

Remove all RAM.

Remove all dust (preferably by dry compressed air).

Carefully but firmly re-seat the RAM on the drawers.

Re-seat the RAM-drawers in your Mac Pro.

I've had this random shut-down issue right around the time Steve died, so it could also be related to his reality distortion field energy playing havoc on my Mac Pro ... but somehow I doubt it ;-)

(The restart occurs after an unscheduled shutdown, if you have automatic restarts enabled in the Energy Saver preference panel.)

If that doesn't sort it, remove all RAM, and reinstall just 1 pair.

Test pair by pair until offending pair is found.

Then swap 1 RAM module with one that is known to be OK to find the offending module.

Thanks for this advice. Not being an experienced user with even less experience going into the innards of a MAC, I was a little intimidated. Would have rather taken the behemoth to the MAC store, but this was very easy and simple.

You my dear man were 100%

correct.

I've had three of these in now with the same issue including one of my own. I would get random reboots. The frequency increased as the months went on. I tried the RAM, hard drive, replaced video card. It wasn't until I replaced the power supply that the problem ceased, on all four machines.

Mac Pro First Generation Power Supply Unit Replacement

Greetings Mayer! Would you be able to tell me if the replacement power supplies that you installed were new, used, or refurbished? I’m having the same restart issue in my mid 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 and it’s just getting worse. Can I get away with a used power supply or would you advise just going brand new?

Thanks for your time! ~MJ

I've used both with no failures to date. I found some in China new but it took 6 weeks to get it in.

You are correct Sir, Thanks for the information.

Replacing the power supply, is it something you recommend taking in to an authorized dealer to complete or do it on our own? I live about 2 hrs from a dealer...

@sms96 I added the guide to my answer. This is not a tough repair. Apple will probably not work on it anymore and tell you it's a Legacy machine but the new ones are soon coming out and you need to go buy a new one every six years.

Guys i am having the same issue with my 2012 mid Mac Pro and I’ve taken it into Apple store three times and they can not get it to replicate the issue. But it starts out shutting down without warning , especially when I’m working in photoshop or adobe bridge. It will do this at least once a day and it progressively gets worse until it shuts down every time i restart and it will not stay on. I’ve tried changing surge protector, cleaned it out and reinstalled operating system and reformatted the computer. I’ve replced the ram and added another hard drive. I returned this last time from Apple store about three weeks ago and has started doing the shut down in the middle of the day. Sometimes it restarts and sometimes it stays off. Please help. I read Somewhere about a washer melting and being the problem but now i can’t find where i read this?

Please read my answer.

Hi Cynthia! I'm wondering if you had ever gotten this issue resolved? If so what was the solution to your problem?

Cynthia will be eternally grateful.