Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 1680x1050 upgrade

I want to ask if the 15" LCD 1680x1050 screen from 2011 fit a 15" MacBook Pro Mid 2012 for an upgrade.

I have my reasons, mainly because Best Buy isn't offering that higher screen resolutioin. I want an upgradeable laptop as well hence why I didn't go for the Retina Display.

The RAM and hard drive on the non-retina 2012 MacBook Pros are the only upgrades I've heard of. If you need more , that's what the MacPros are for.

It's an option on the Apple website. I am hoping it will be a part available later on.

I would go ahead and get it now as it will much more than the $100 Apple is asking. There are other places to buy Macs other than Best Buy. Like MacMall: http://www.macmall.com/n/MacBook-Pro/mac...

I am confirming that you can upgrade the MacBook Pro 15” A1286 (Mid 2012) (Non-Retina) 1440x900 Glossy to a High Resolution (1860x1050) A1286 (2011) Display Assembly. You can get the Display Assembly on Ebay for roughly $150.

The process is not too difficult and you must do some minor tweaks. There is a small amount of excess plastic on both sides of pin connectors on the display data cable that you must shave off in order to fit into socket on logic board. (Try fitting the connector and you will see where the plastic impedes) Take a small razor blade and just ever so slightly shave off the excess plastic. (Be careful and take your time) When done properly the cable will then fit securely into socket. The metal arm that swings over and locks cable into place will not fit 100% as the two connections are just slightly different.

How to fix – Fully insert cable into socket, place piece of strong double sided tape on top of connectors, swing metal clip over on top of double sided tape. Press down firmly and this will secure both the metal clip and connector. The screen will show up as 1680x1050 native, I reinstalled macOS to make sure everything runs smooth. Just be precise, take your time, and this fix will work perfectly. This setup has been working for me for 6+ months. I found re-aligning the display assembly to be the hardest part

Cheers and hope this helps : ) CT

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 Display Replacement

William will be eternally grateful.