Dell Inspiron 1525 Repair

PC laptop by Dell with a 15.4" display. Succeeded the Inspiron 1520.

Hard Drive not detected!

I currently have an 80 GB sata hard drive and I bought an Hitachi 320 Gb sata drive to upgrade it with, but the laptop doesn't detect the drive, not even in the bios! It's brand new, and if I connect it using a USB adaptor, the drive shows up on my computer. The Bios has been updated to the current version. I'm at a loss, please help!

Wade Lodge, give us the model or serial number for both of the drives.

by oldturkey03

80 GB - Western Digitial - S/N: WXE508HR5459 320 GB - Hitachi - S/N: 333ATAHS Thanks!

by Wade Lodge

I would think that you are having a interface issue here. Especially since your computer reads the drive when it is connected via USB. What are your BIOS settings for the HDD. I am sure you already checked this, but make sure the SATA channel is turned ON in the BIOS. Second, you need to either install the RAID drivers when prompted or set the controller to ATA compatible in order for the OS disc to see an SATA drive. I know from one of your previous posts that you did the last part. Any chance you have a desktop or other computer that supports a SATA drive where you could install the HDD and see if it functions with the SATA interface?

by oldturkey03

I tried it on an Acer desktop and it was detected, but before that I tried it on another Dell laptop, an Inspiron 6400, BIOS verse A13 and it wasn't detected there either! The only option in this BIOS relating to SATA was called Serial ATA DIPM, which was enabled. I also tried it disabled. Wasn't detected either way. Is it something to do with the Dell BIOS?

by Wade Lodge

It sure does look like it. Your drive is recognized in USB mode, and on other computers but not the Dell, which leads me to believe it is the BIOS. I wonder if it does not support the interface

by oldturkey03

The new drive is probably to fast and needs to be jumpered down to probably 1.5 GB per second. Do a web search for "jumpers & your drives model number".

Thank you, stsr505089, for figuring out an issue with a thickness of the hard drive.

I was replacing a dead hard drive in Dell Inspiron 1525 and fell with the same issue: for some reason BIOS does not recognize newer thin 7 mm hard drives so you have to get a thick 9.5 mm hard drive as a replacement. So i had to buy one more new hard drive that is 9.5 mm thick. Hopefully, now everything is up and running.

That's pretty odd.

When i inserted the first new hard drive that turned out to be a 7 mm in thickness, I checked how it's seated by unscrewing the small bottom cover (that gives you access to memory modules) - the hard drive contacts were inserted into the interface slot, but despite that it was not recognized by BIOS. So that really looks like there is some mechanical switch or something that prevents using thin hard drives. Pretty bizarre solution from Dell.

Hi, try to go to the BIOS settings and check what is the SATA settings. If it is in AHCI try to change it to ATA and vice versa if it is set to ATA and then save the settings before exit. You will have to change the Cache Module to OFF before you can change to ATA.

I tried that already, but I'll give it another try. I'm reluctant to reset the Bios to default, do you think that might help?

by Wade Lodge

Tried switching from AHCI to ATA, used no luck. I also chose "load defaults" in the BIOS, and Hard Drive still not detected. Any other ideas? Thanks!

by Wade Lodge

Remove the drive and reinsert it making sure that it is fully seated. Use firm and even pressure to slide the hard drive into place. Excessive force may result in damage to the connector.

by mon

Also, try to reattached your old drive and see if it is detected.

by mon

I've tried reseating several times, no luck. I put my 80 GB back in and it works fine. In fact, its what I'm using now.

by Wade Lodge

Bizzarre as it may seem, if you pack up the drive to similar thickness as the one that works with some card or something, you'll find it works,or it did on mine. I think there is a physical switch that needs to be made inside for it to detect the hard drive, and a thin one doesn't make it

It seems like your laptop doesn't supports hard drive of more then a specific size. You can try a smaller hard drive if you have in spare. Because if your hard is working fine on usb and its only the motherboard then its defiantly the compatibility issue.

I found that there's enough slop at the rear of the drive tray opening that the drive was sliding in and just slipping below the drive connector - which I only discovered by removing the main cover panel from the underside of the laptop. Once I could see what was happening, I was able to tilt the drive up using the moulded edge cover and slot it straight in. Before that, sliding the drive in there was a convincing sense of resistance and then applying a bit more pressure it seemed to slot into place. The moulded outer cover even seemed to align well. Rebooted and drive is now recognised. Another "check the power supply first" moment!

I bought wd3200lpvx to substitute my dead hdd on my dell inspiron 1525. When I changed it I had the exact same problems. I tried changing BIOS settings, etc but nothing worked.

Solution:

What worked is trying to put the HDD in the laptop without using the drawer/case where you put the disk before inserting it in the laptop. After several tries I managed to put it in the SATA (when I managed to put it, it couldn't move easily as it was attached to the SATA port). Then the HDD was detected normally.

So the case is clearly the 9.5mm vs 7mm of height and there is no mechanical trigger. It's just that the 7mm height disks on the drawer won't attach to the SATA port.

My doubt is if I should leave it like this (without screwing the disk though) or to buy another 9.5mm height disk.

Wade Lodge will be eternally grateful.