MacBook Pro

Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Possible to replace battery?

So I have a MacBook Pro 13" Unibody back from 2009 and I need to replace the battery. I already know that's the problem but Apple wants entirely too much money to fix it. They say it can't be manually replaced but I have my doubts. I just don't see why not. If anyone knows a way I can replace the battery myself for cheaper then they'll do it let me know. Is it really impossible? Or is that just some scam Apple put out to get more money from us?

The short answer? Yes. You can replace the battery yourself.

As a matter of fact, iFixit has a guide to show you how to do just that. Located here:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Battery Replacement

And yeah, the battery being "manually inaccessible" is a complete fabrication. Though Apple does tend to try to make it as difficult as possible by throwing as many obscure screws with uncommon heads of variable sizes as they can find into their machines.

You'll see what I mean when you read the guide.

This particular model uses the illusive Tri-wing Y1 Screwdriver to try to keep its owners out. Luckily for you, the iFixit store happens to sell the tool you need (you know, in case collecting obscure and rarely used screwdriver heads isn't a hobby of yours).

Here it is:

Tri-point Y1 Screwdriver

They also throw in a bunch of randomly assorted Phillips head screws. More common, but iFixit sells the tool for that as well just in case:

Phillips #00 Screwdriver

The price of those two tools plus shipping and handling plus the price of a few hours of your time should at least be marginally cheaper than Apple's battery replacement service.

Oh, and here is the battery if you don't already have one:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2009 to Mid 2012) Battery

Good luck. And happy hunting.

Mentioned Items

The advice Nicholas gave you is very good but let's check to see exactly which machine you have before spending ay money. Please give us the last three figures of your serial number so we can double check what you need.

Since the battery costs $119, I think it makes much more sense to throw on the extra $80 and let Apple do it for you! Seriously, risk ruining your laptop to save $80 is pretty dumb!!

Dear Paul, the money issue doesn't tell the whole story. I inquired today for a battery replacement of a 15' Unibody and i was told to leave the laptop 5 days in the shop (Apple authorized reseller). Two issues here: (1) why should i leave open access to my data for 5 days to someone i don't know? (2) What about if i have to work with the laptop in the meanwhile? And, even worse, i can't order the battery through the shop, wait for the delivery and then give in the mac.

mike will be eternally grateful.