MacBook Pro

Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Left Shift key unresponsive and stuck?

Okay, so I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (unibody design) and I have the typical problem with the keyboard. My shift key function is "stuck" so everything WILL COME UP LIKE THIS> (hence the > instead of the period). I booted into a flash drive to update to Lion and the keyboard still typed like the shift key was pressed. Well, we went to Apple to see what they could do. They said that the top case has to be replaced. The problem is, that runs a whopping $250+ and that's out of my budget right now. I have been searching around and haven't seemed to find much of a solution anywhere. I have seen that (at least on here) that the keyboard itself can be replaced without having to replace the entire top case. Nothing has been spilled onto the keyboard and it is not dirty as I have taken a few keys off and checked underneath. So if I replaced the keyboard only, would that fix the problem? Anyone have any experience with this?

Please give us the last three figures of your serial number so we know your exact machine.

by mayer

Replacing the keyboard *should* fix your problem, if that's what you'd prefer to do; the keyboard is a self-contained unit within the upper case, so it seems unlikely that a key-specific problem would be caused by anything further afield.

Shelly, can you give us a link to the separate part and how it's installed?

by mayer

Here is someone who has replaced the MacBook's keyboard and has some advice. iFixit doesn't provide the replacement keyboard as a standalone product.

by Shelley

i had similar problem. this is how I solved the Problem.

1. figure out which shift key is behaving as if pressed(left or right). you can know this through system preference->Accessibility->keyboard->click options in sticky key space. Select "Display pressed key" and check from default to any thing. after this you will be able to see the key pressed getting displayed on the screen. Faulty key will not display while the working shift key will display up arrow.

2. Once you figure out which key is faulty, install key remap application and disable the faulty shift key.

3. Problem solved

Brad will be eternally grateful.