The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Keyboard issues with a single key: solution?

I know this question is old by I have exact the same question. I am in the edge of ordering a top case but what if it is not the keyboard? and is something else? is it for sure a keyboard problem?

Death and Taxes are for sure.

What else could it possibly be? (same Question doesn't give a lot to go on).

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

I reckon your question comes from the one in which a user reported a malfunctioning single key, the "shift" key.

Well, if your malfunction is limited to a single key, you may try to press it. Does it "click" like the others? Or does it look and "sound" stuck?

If its the latter, you may pry very carefully the single key, check if it "clicks" or physically connects. I never pried off the keys out of my Macbook, and I don't even know for sure if this guide here is for a Macbook or a mislabeled Macbook Pro (whose keys I know they can pried out) http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7147760_reatta... , however, if it was "stuck" you may try to gently reseat and clean it.

Failing that, if the keyboard is mechanically sound, a replacement would seem much more likely...

I have a similar issue, my "b" key does not click anymore and does not register every time it is pushed.

I have to make a conscious effort and hit the key a few times in order to get it to work.

stfan will be eternally grateful.