Model A1059 or A1099 / 20, 40, or 60 GB hard drive / touch sensitive click wheel

iPod only shows power adapter being plugged in to wall outlet?

My iPod will not do any thing, when charge/sync cord is hooked up it will only show a power adapter being plugged into a wall outlet. I cannot get the click wheel to do anything, and when plugged into my PC it does not recognize that I have it hooked up. I have tried changing cords but still no luck. any sugesstions

I have done all of the suggestions and still my 20GB Classic will not go and I have the "power adapter plugging into the wall" sign showing..help this iPod was for grand daughter for xmas..her first.

Just in case :) sometimes after an iPOd gets updated by using an USB cable, and after the iPod reboots, it gets stuck on the "plug in to wall" icon and won't go any further. I would try try a FireWire cable rather than a USB one. Plug the FireWire cable into the wall charger the first time and the update will usually complete successfully.

It would seem that the crucial thing here is to either:

1. Use a wall charger with either a FireWire or USB cable.

OR

2. Use a FireWire cable to connect your iPod to your computer if you have a FireWire connector. Again, I think we need more info to help you out.

This should verify it. The iPod wants to be plugged into a power outlet and won't proceed until you do so. You see this icon after you've restored your iPod and the iPod needs to update its firmware. This occurs only when you've plugged your iPod into a USB port or un-powered FireWire port (the 4-pin variety of FireWire ports found on some PCs).

Gloria, use a wall charger not your PC

The older iPods required that they be disconnected from the USB port and plugged into an external power adapter i.e. wall charger. Once plugged into that it would perform the final step of the either restore or update. Just had to do the same last night with my old iPod. I've used either, a USB wall charger and an external firewire wall charger and it worked well with both. After this step the iPod was again recognized by iTunes. So I do not think that it is a cable or Firewire issue. The iPod 3rd generation is the one that truly needs firwire to be charged.

I've just had this problem with a 4th Gen and plugging it in with a firewire adapter sorted it. Thanks for the tip.

That is what I have been saying for months :-)

Most Helpful Answer

Hi there,

I had the same problem with my ipod classic 40 GB. The plug in wall charger icon come on and i left in plugged in wall socket for 2 days nothing happened.

Solution

Take a power bank fully charged. Take your ipod and plug in your USB cable in your power bank it will fix your ipod instantly. Cheers.

Hope this helps all you guys fix your ipods.

This worked for me! Thank you!

was having a !&&* of a time with it, but thanks this answer solved the problem.

i have struggled with that for a long time! thanks a lot for the help! I'm from Portugal and I thank God to see this solution!

Icon of Power adapter plugging into wall icon:

This icon appears on the screen during an update or restore that occurs when iPod is connected to the computer via a low or no-power connector. This can include some USB ports and 4-pin FireWire ports. When this appears, disconnect iPod from the computer and connect it to the power adapter. Then plug the power adapter into a power outlet. The update or restore will complete and iPod will restart to the main menu.

Have you tried plugging it into the wall? If so, did you use a FireWire adapter? I believe the 4th generation sometimes required a FireWire charge to get it going after a period of unuse.

If you do not have a firewire charger, you could take it to the Apple store; the Genius bar still has a couple of FireWire chargers for just such emergencies.

Yes I have the same prob. It has to be a older apple usb or fire wire wall charger! a new type or aftermarkit wont work!!!

I had the same problem today. The iPod Mini 1st gen I ve just bought was stuck at the same step of the update. Even plugged in an 5 Volts USB wall charger, nothing happened...

The reason of this is that the old iPod wall charger delivered 12 Volts by Firewire and not 5 !

In fact, at this step of the update, my iPod wanted to receive 12 Volts and not 5. Without having such a power supply, I had to modify the original 30-pin dock to send 12 Volts in the right pins !

Now my iPod is fixed :) http://i58.tinypic.com/28srp07.jpg

(English is not my mother language so be kind :) )

see my comment. do not assume 12v is the key. i attempted this via variable power supply and it burned my board.

Yes and I charged it with my car and it worked like a charm!

Well folks I might have the answer. I recently had the same problem - after an update the iPod actually got stuck. I tried everything finally I just let it completely die and voila. I plugged it again to the same wall charger and it worked. So maybe try that.

Unhook the battery and wait a few minutes and then hook it back up. see the video link below on how to take it apart.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php...

I was able to fix this by using an iPad power adapter with the USB cable and not a standard USB Adapter - I think the higher power is required (if you remember, the original iPods came with the brick power adapter, not the mini plug ones)

all a load of rubbish, Apple are just a con, never using their crap products again, I have 2 iPod classics, both will not work

I tried a couple different chargers including an iPhone charger, a generic USB charger and a battery pack with USB output and the only one that worked was the original iPod charger which puts out 5.2v instead of the usual 5v.

dnr will be eternally grateful.