MacBook Core 2 Duo

Model A1181 / 1.83, 2, 2.1, 2.13, 2.16, 2.2, or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Headphone Jack Stuck on Digital Out

Has anyone else had this issue where the headphone jack gets stuck in digital out mode?

My speakers are disabled (except for the chime sound when booting), the sound pref panel only allows me to select 'Digital Out' for sound output, and a red light shines out of the jack. Headphones work when I plug 'em in.

I've found other discussions out there about this (such as: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa...), but so far I haven't had much luck with suggestions found there.

Any ideas?

Jeff

I've had success on several laptops taking the cotton off the end of a q-tip, and sticking the bare q-tip end in the jack, applying slight pressure and twisting it around a few times.

Make sure to do this kind of thing while the power is off, especially if you're putting metal objects in there.

Many laptops have long lives after this issue has been fixed, and with no recurrence of the issue, so I don't agree with the assessment above that the motherboard needs to be replaced.

This technique has worked for me. I used a toothpick. I think dust and dirt can trick the sensor.

by Kyle Wiens

I used a napkin that was all twisted up. I pushed as much of it inside the port as I could while twisting it, and it seems to have worked!

by Sterling Hirsh

These techniques seem to offer the best chance of success. I've tried the q-tip / toothpick / pen techniques, and none work reliably for me. Sometimes sound comes back for a bit, but it's not reliable. That little sensor/switch in there is pretty sensitive, I guess!

by jeff664

My thinking on this issue has evolved somewhat as I get more and more of these laptops. I now use a small torx screwdriver, and I twist it in the audio port when the laptop is on. The switch seems to be on the right side of the port, or about the 3 o'clock position. You'll notice the audio icon turn black instead of greyed out, but when you take out the screwdriver, it goes grey again. You just have to repeat this process until eventually it stays black. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes, and sometimes it never happens. I give it about 10 minutes worth of attempts, and if it takes any longer than that I just replace the board. Also, once it's working you'll want to reboot a few times and make sure it doesn't revert. If it does, it's most likely going to continue to be flaky, and so I replace the board rather than risk a return.

by rdklinc

Yay finally. I have been without sound for days trying other methods and this worked first time!

by danielleseadon

This is not a fix, but if it comes down to logic board or bust, i'd get something like a griffin imic, it's small enough that it shouldnt be a huge burden and will you give you in and out via usb.

This is a good workaround. It might be a little better suited to desktops, but I could still see using it on a laptop.

by Sterling Hirsh

Well, it's not really logic board or bust. In my case, the headphone out still works, so I can plug in headphones or external powered speakers. But if some macs with this problem can't do headphones, either, then this is a great idea. There are lots of USB audio devices, and they work pretty well. I got a headset that came with a usb audio adapter, and you can use it either with the adapter or straight into the audio in and out jacks.

by jeff664

As much as I would like for there to be an easy fix, there isn't. The same thing happened to my MacBookPro. The toggle switch inside of the port is defective. The only true fix is to replace the Logic Board which Apple will do for free, it's a known issue. If that is not an option for you, the "toothpick fix" listed in the forums at apple may work.

this actually worked, it is a silly simple fix, but worked :)

https://josephhall.org/nqb2/index.php/st...

Switch off your Mac, unplug the power adapter. With pressure blow into the mac head phones port(mouth to port). Plug in any working head phones jack into the port and move the jack in different directions(gently)

I fixed it using a digital optical cable. A couple of times inserting and removing did the trick :)

If it's any consolation, I, too, have this problem and am going to attempt the solutions offered above. My "workaround" right now is some Logitech USB speakers which clip on to the top of my screen.

As a last resort before a whole logic board replacement it looks as though you can remove the metal housing as shown in this blurry low res video

http://youtu.be/yIVYacOKzOs

The bent paperclip trick does work--but only as long as I hold the paperclip in place. Help!

Sorry for you Jessica. I had that also. For a while doing the paperclip worked, then it stopped.

I took my MBP apart, and with lots of guts, small tools, and the youtube-tutorial (which shows a slightly different socket!) I squeezed and bent the contacts a bit. Just a little extra pressure on the spring is what it needs.

But this operation is defenitly not for the weak-of-heart.

by Froit

Why not just replace the jack?

by Tony Tone

To replace the jack, I would have to have one sent to UlaanBaatar Mongolia, and lots of soldering involved.

Not my thing.

by Froit

I can replace the jack. I'm in San Diego. Simple.

by Tony Tone

Should be easy solution & fix the problem.

by Tony Tone

Hello Tony Tone,

Same problem here with a MacBook Pro 13 (2010) mini jack is stuck on digital out. The jack was totally damaged by a stupid guy, so I had to remove the jack. I'm searching for replacement, but could not find anything.

So my question is, Can you help me which pins need to be connected so that the internal speakers will work again?

I couldn't find the information anywhere any help or pictures to solve this problem. I'm from Germany so no way to come by.

Thanks very much.

Adrian

I'm not sure if there is a work-around. I'm under the impression if it is removed your speakers should work again. Maybe another issue, I'm not certain. Have you tried putting on a new one?

by Tony Tone

Well, after removing the mini jack socket which doesn't work. The replacement part seems to be impossible to get :-(

The only way is to buy it is with a complete logic board and they are expensive! Even broken.

Thank you very much for your answer, I'll have to wait till I find a replacement part.

Adrian

by Adrian

You can buy them online. I've seen that section sawed off with jack for sell. Or on dead boards you can get for $30.

by Tony Tone

Nothing works and the red light disappeared but its still stuck in digital out mode. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro

Isn't there some sort of a software loophole? I've searched and searched came up with no results. This Sucks!

As far as paper clips and tooth picks and Q-Tip tricks, None of that $@$* worked, if anything it made the red light disappear and god knows what the f that means. lol

I'm new to Mac's, excuse my french!

I had this happen with my MacBook Pro.

My electronic technician neighbor squirted a little alcohol into the red eyed headphone jack and inserted a headphone jack a few times. Instant fix.

I'll usually cut a Q-Tip and on the non-cotton end I'll cut a few grooves and soak in alcohol a bit and scrub the jack. & if that don't work it needs to be replaced.

by Tony Tone

Squirting any liquid into a system can be harmful! In most cases the alcohol or other liquid you might use won't get to the area you need it as the switch contacts not the barrel contact side is what needs cleaning or re-aligning (the back side here is the switch).

by Dan

jeff664 will be eternally grateful.