Chevrolet

Repair manuals and support for cars and trucks manufactured by Chevrolet.

Need to turn off passlock

Hi all. The passlock feature on my p/u engages without cause occasionally making me sit and wait out the 10 minute delay. This is always inconvenient and has the potential for being a safety hazard. Does anyone have a ides of how I can permanently disable this feature?

Hello fellow Colorado owners. Would just like you to know that I, along with many others, am having the same problem with the passlock system. It has become aggravating as well as very inconvenient! I called the Chevrolet Assistance Line for advice on how to go about bypassing the passlock system.. They advised that I should not try this, and should take it to a dealership. I asked to speak with someone in the engineering department to no avail. I told them that this is a design flaw and does not work as intended and that many other people are having the same problem.. So I think if enough people called to complain, they might consider an open recall. After all, this is a design flaw and I feel GM should be responsible for correcting it as they would any other design flaw in any of their models. This is definitely an issue. It could even be considered a safety issue. For those who are willing to call here is the number. 1-800-222-1020 (US) or 1-800-263-3777 (CANADA)

by Garth

I called the Chevy 800 number and explained the circumstances surrounding the intermittent starting problem with my 2007 Chevy Colorado. The lady who answered was probably in India from her accent and all she could do was refer me to the local Chevy dealership where I had already been. No help whatsoever. I had no idea that this has been a problem with Chevy trucks for so long and will never buy another Chevy truck since they are unreliable and the company is in denial. What planet are they on?

by kendact1

Idk if anyone else has called to have the brake light recall on there colorado i had it done on my 08 colorado 2 weeks ago and have not had this passlock no start problem since if you think about it all this is related seeing as it goes through the body control module just something to give a shot seeing as its a free recall

by joe

Just for the future reference of others, regarding the brake light switch--it is not technically a recall. It was a special extended warranty part through GM, and that warranty expired in late 2014. So don't go to the dealership expecting to get a free replacement at this point like I did (even after calling to confirm and getting false information). They'll charge you around $80 to replace the switch. You can order the part for around $10 and install it yourself or find a mechanic for much cheaper. Takes about 10 minutes for someone who knows how to install it. Cheers.

by zyylksk

Wow, looks like there is a whole industry build around defeating the passlock. There are a few commercial devices like this one out for one , it even has a DIY plan for sale, that say they can defeat the passlock; GM will not disable it. the only other way I read about is the "White/blue" ;-)

"Step One: Start the truck, leaving it in park, and running during this process.

Step Two: Locate the plug pictured below, The plug is under the dash near the steering column. Open your driver door and stick your head on the floor near the gas and brake pedal and look up, it will be the big white plug staring you in the face. If you need anymore help let me know. You will notice that on the side closest to the front seats, the plug is pretty much split in two. We will be working with the right side of this plug. We are looking for the wire that is White with a BLUE stripe. It will be with other wires that are white/colored stripe.

Step Thee: Cut this wire in half, and electrical tape both ends.

Step four: Shut off the truck, You’re done!

Try restarting it, you will see the red security light on, but that can be removed with the LED mod how to." Check on here for more info. Hope this helps, good luck.

UPDATE

Images are from the same site as the link and credit to the guys at coloradofans.com as well as an interesting schematic that may offer more of a permanent solution.

Do you by any chance have a better picture of the blue/white plug? And from what I read if I have to replace the battery I have to reconnect the wire to start the truck and break the connection again. Is this correct?

by rj713

Just a wild suggestion, how about mounting a toggle switch next to the blue plug and just switch it on when you need to?

by mayer

It sure does appear that way. I think a toggle switch would be a great choice. I think that you will have to use it once the codes are cleared i.e. a battery change or any other major power interruption. Turn it of until you need to reset the computer. rj713, it's a white/blue wire that goes to the connector....

by oldturkey03

OK I like the idea of the toggle switch--give me a couple of days to get the parts and check locations. I'll let you know how it comes out.

by rj713

Sorry it took so long to try. Thanks again, Ralph.

by rj713

Same issue 2008 Colorado passlock GM need to step up and fix this !@#$

12/06/2013 please someone let me know if any luck with GM

by Javier

has anybody had any problems since making the mod. have not done yet trying to decide. also like the toggle switch idea.

okay so I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado same problem as you people starting issues very annoying anyway I was talking to ex lol who is a mechanic and he tells me that do computers have an internal battery which must be removed from the vehicle and let sit for 3 days and put back in vehicle and apparently that will work and if that doesn't work one must take just the computer to the Chevy dealer and ask them to reset it much cheaper than taking truck to dealership for them to uninstall and do all the work

by bnchale

Did the mod and still having the problem

Has anyone tried involving the better business bereau. They helped us with a crappy 2013 ford focus. Ford had to buy it back. I have a colorado it does it from time to time . You think with GM already in trouble with colbalt ignitions they would fix this to.

2008 ford truck 50 thou miles doing same thing, security wont let the truck start. i found a site saftcar.gov and told them the problem . they sent me a couple forms wanting the vin and other info. and suppose to check into it. ford said they hadent had many complaints on it, but people are, trouble is if enough people dont complain, nothing gets done

by frank1953

sorry that was safercar.gov

by frank1953

Unfortunately for consumers this business of permitting defects in safety designs to drive in extra dealer revenue is consistent with the personality of the GM bailout and brand.

The Directed Electronics corporation has already taken responsibility for the safety of consumers by designing the GM "SELF LEARNING" PASSLOCK OVERRIDE.

Find out for yourself by reading the great reviews on Amazon where Directed Electronics sells the "PLJX Bypasskit" for a mere $24.95.

My 1998 Chevy stalled in a fast flowing lane at a busy intersection because of the Passlock Anti-theft device.

One former GM employee on the edmund car forum had this to say about the failure of the GM Anti-theft Passlock:

"Being a former GM employee I think GM should cover this DEFECT IN DESIGN ...regardless of the year of the vehicle. We all wondered why GM continued to lose market share..then fall as they did, things like this theft system issue are one more reason so many people shy away from GM after having purchased one of their products."

"Today if you're product or service is not excellent, you're finished. It's only a matter of time. You're living on borrowed time." ~Brian Tracy

You will not stop Passlock, or future variants. Passlock, while sold as a 'security feature' is actually a major component in law enforcement 'external vehicle shut-down procedures', hence the reason that no one will help you with it, validate a repair process, or help you remove it. It is also why the 'resistance reset' process requires a 10-minute 'pause interlude' to go to step 2 (it assumes you are running from police, and the vehicle has been shut down to foil you). To reset passlock's built in 'resistance value', simply start (and let it shut off), then leave in 'run' for 10 minutes. When you turn the key off, wait 5-seconds, then turn to 'run' (don't bump starter). Repeat a total of 3-times. The system will 'relearn' the resistance value, which may have changed and is why you are having this trouble if you own the system. Total reset time: 30-minutes. Welcome to big brother.

by okiereb1

Passlock is incapable of shutting a vehicle off after a few seconds after it has been running. (When an engine starts and shuts off, it starts on the residual fuel in the intake from the last time it was run). Those of you that have stalling problems, it is not passlock. Those of you that think "big brother" is using it to shut down the car..... go ahead, bypass it. Yes, the ECM can shut down the engine. Of course. But this is not passlock. It's already been established that GM with their Onstar can control a car remotely. Again, passlock only keeps a car from starting. Actually read how it works before blaming it for anything but your car randomly failing to start and the security light also blinking rapidly.

by jasonasprouse

I will never buy another GM product, because of this security system. I have owned approx. 25 new and used GM vehicles and the one I currently own( 2003 S10) sitting disabled in my driveway has cost me money I don't time, time lost from work, missed weddings, doctor appts. ect ect. Its in good condition and has only 158K miles but is basically worthless, I cant sell it, trade it. anyway I did the resistor bypass and it has been getting me to work until yesterday. Usually if it dies I can wiggle the grey connector where it goes into lock cyl assembly and it will start. That no longer works, so I assume that the passlock sensor in the column has finally crapped out. Security light only comes on when doors are opened and when you initially turn key switch. no blinking like before ect. Is the sensor in column gone or has the BCM finally quit? I have to fix this my self as I can not afford another 500.00 trip to Chevrolet. I guess a Ford is in my near future

I having trouble with my passcode , happened 2 time last week now it has no lights sounds it want do anything

Can anybody help me

by James blackwell

I have been dealing with this issue for a few years. A mod box fixed it for a couple years, but then also failed. Like one of the other responders,I will not be buying another GM. Of course I am typing this as I am sitting stranded at the gas station, so we will see how I feel in a couple weeks when I have forgotten about the inconvenience.

I bought a used 2009 colorado and started having this problem in the first week. Did the white blue wire thing the next day same thing I get a stab system traction fault on the display when it shuts down or won't start and have to wait my 10 min to restart. Tried shutting off stab syst and trac off worked for a few days now doing it again.

HELP PLEASE. JOHN IN PUERTO RICO

So I finally brought it back to the dealer. Without much hope. It took them about 24 hrs from start to finish. They found a cracked fuse block. It's run a month now no problems. And they did in free on my two month warranty. Thanks BENITEZ CHEVROLET Caguas P.R.

by john towne

The easiest way to bypass the Passlock 2 system is to place a resistor between the passlock sensing wire and the ground reference wire. To find these wires, look for three wires that at some point are wrapped together, coming from the ignition barrel. Usually, they are orange/black, red/white, and black. They can also be yellow, red/white, and black.

Here's how you do it:

Cut the orange/black wire or the yellow wire, depending on what you have. Strip both ends of the wire, so you can reconnect them if needed. Next you must strip some of the insulation away from the black wire, exposing the copper inside. Now grab a reliable multimeter and set it to read Ohms. stick one probe into the exposed copper in the black wire, being careful not to touch it during the resistance test you are about to do.

Hold the other probe to the ignition side of the wire you cut in the earlier step. While doing this, crank the starter and note the resistance reading you get on the multimeter.

Next, arrange one or more resistors in a chain so that they add up to the value measured while cranking the starter. You can be within about 5% of the value, and it will be accepted by the passlock system as genuine.

Once you have assembled the resistors so they represent the correct value, tightly wrap one end of the resistor through and around the exposed copper of the black wire. You may solder this connection if you desire. Protect this wire by taping over the exposed metal.

Now you take the cut wire that leads toward the Passlock module (NOT toward the ignition barrel) and connect the other end of the resistor to this wire, being sure to tape it to protect against shorting. Once that is done, be sure to tape the exposed cut wire that leads to the ignition barrel.

If you have performed these steps correctly, your Passlock system will no longer give you any problems!

is there any pictures of the three wire connector that goes to the ignition switch that controls the passlock system?

by karltautfest

I has the same problem.... I found out though that my AUX PWR fuse was blown and problem fixed... Although i did try the white and blue wire... Once cut... It didnt start.... Put it back together and it worked.... Took the new Aux Pwr fuse out and it didnt start again... Put it back in and problem was fixed and havent had a problem since. Hope this was helpful enough

Hello people I have read the several fixes here on the forum but I don't like cutting wires just to make it work it kind of half @%^ to me. Anyway after poking around the dealers and asking questions they told me unfortunately there is no recall on this reoccurring problem of passlock lock out on my truck. So they told me to just buy the key ignition housing that has all the new components to the ignition including the passlock system inside. So I bought the new housing plus a bolt that you have to buy and went to my mechanic to install it plus programming of the new system in which they knew how to do it. Anyway my mechanic was way cheaper than what the dealer quoted to do the job about a few hundred dollars less. After they installed the new ignition housing with all the new components plus programming everything works great now no more false indicator chiming from my truck which indicateds that there is a problem with the system, that's when my truck just will not start for 10mins. For now I call I fixed.

Just started having a problem that i believe is related to the passlock system. My security light came on last week for a few hrs. Then, twice, afew day apart, when u turn ignition key, fuel pump comes on, but will crank. I jumped starter and cranked engine, but it wont fire. Then, about 15-20 mins of trying, it will start right up.

by MikeC

Btw, its a 2002 Trailblazer.

by MikeC

hola poseo una chevy colorado 2.9 2007 me tiraba el "candadito" segui los pasos del transportista sin gastar dinero

1-llevar llave 2° posision,

2-esperar a que desaparezcan los logos [ #] -[#]-[#]-[#] del la pantalla sonara un "clic" bajo el capot ponga atención al clic ok.

3- dar arranque

paciencia¡¡¡¡¡

rj713 will be eternally grateful.