2

rj713

Need to turn off passlock

Hi all. The passlock feature on my p/u engages without cause occasionally making me sit and wait out the 10 minute delay. This is always inconvenient and has the potential for being a safety hazard. Does anyone have a ides of how I can permanently disable this feature?

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , rj713 ( )

Hello fellow Colorado owners. Would just like you to know that I, along with many others, am having the same problem with the passlock system. It has become aggravating as well as very inconvenient! I called the Chevrolet Assistance Line for advice on how to go about bypassing the passlock system.. They advised that I should not try this, and should take it to a dealership. I asked to speak with someone in the engineering department to no avail. I told them that this is a design flaw and does not work as intended and that many other people are having the same problem.. So I think if enough people called to complain, they might consider an open recall. After all, this is a design flaw and I feel GM should be responsible for correcting it as they would any other design flaw in any of their models. This is definitely an issue. It could even be considered a safety issue. For those who are willing to call here is the number. 1-800-222-1020 (US) or 1-800-263-3777 (CANADA)

Garth,

I called the Chevy 800 number and explained the circumstances surrounding the intermittent starting problem with my 2007 Chevy Colorado. The lady who answered was probably in India from her accent and all she could do was refer me to the local Chevy dealership where I had already been. No help whatsoever. I had no idea that this has been a problem with Chevy trucks for so long and will never buy another Chevy truck since they are unreliable and the company is in denial. What planet are they on?

kendact1,

Idk if anyone else has called to have the brake light recall on there colorado i had it done on my 08 colorado 2 weeks ago and have not had this passlock no start problem since if you think about it all this is related seeing as it goes through the body control module just something to give a shot seeing as its a free recall

joe,

3

Wow, looks like there is a whole industry build around defeating the passlock. There are a few commercial devices like this one out for one , it even has a DIY plan for sale, that say they can defeat the passlock; GM will not disable it. the only other way I read about is the "White/blue" ;-)

"Step One: Start the truck, leaving it in park, and running during this process.

Step Two: Locate the plug pictured below, The plug is under the dash near the steering column. Open your driver door and stick your head on the floor near the gas and brake pedal and look up, it will be the big white plug staring you in the face. If you need anymore help let me know. You will notice that on the side closest to the front seats, the plug is pretty much split in two. We will be working with the right side of this plug. We are looking for the wire that is White with a BLUE stripe. It will be with other wires that are white/colored stripe.

Step Thee: Cut this wire in half, and electrical tape both ends.

Step four: Shut off the truck, You’re done!

Try restarting it, you will see the red security light on, but that can be removed with the LED mod how to." Check on here for more info. Hope this helps, good luck.

UPDATE

Images are from the same site as the link and credit to the guys at coloradofans.com as well as an interesting schematic that may offer more of a permanent solution.

Do you by any chance have a better picture of the blue/white plug? And from what I read if I have to replace the battery I have to reconnect the wire to start the truck and break the connection again. Is this correct?

rj713,

Just a wild suggestion, how about mounting a toggle switch next to the blue plug and just switch it on when you need to?

mayer,

It sure does appear that way. I think a toggle switch would be a great choice. I think that you will have to use it once the codes are cleared i.e. a battery change or any other major power interruption. Turn it of until you need to reset the computer. rj713, it's a white/blue wire that goes to the connector....

OK I like the idea of the toggle switch--give me a couple of days to get the parts and check locations. I'll let you know how it comes out.

rj713,

Sorry it took so long to try. Thanks again, Ralph.

rj713,

0

gary
1

has anybody had any problems since making the mod. have not done yet trying to decide. also like the toggle switch idea.

0

Javier
1

Same issue 2008 Colorado passlock GM need to step up and fix this !@#$

12/06/2013 please someone let me know if any luck with GM

Javier,

0

Everett Webb
1

Did the mod and still having the problem

0

Leon
1

Has anyone tried involving the better business bereau. They helped us with a crappy 2013 ford focus. Ford had to buy it back. I have a colorado it does it from time to time . You think with GM already in trouble with colbalt ignitions they would fix this to.

0

tampagenie
1

Unfortunately for consumers this business of permitting defects in safety designs to drive in extra dealer revenue is consistent with the personality of the GM bailout and brand.

The Directed Electronics corporation has already taken responsibility for the safety of consumers by designing the GM "SELF LEARNING" PASSLOCK OVERRIDE.

Find out for yourself by reading the great reviews on Amazon where Directed Electronics sells the "PLJX Bypasskit" for a mere $24.95.

My 1998 Chevy stalled in a fast flowing lane at a busy intersection because of the Passlock Anti-theft device.

One former GM employee on the edmund car forum had this to say about the failure of the GM Anti-theft Passlock:

"Being a former GM employee I think GM should cover this DEFECT IN DESIGN ...regardless of the year of the vehicle. We all wondered why GM continued to lose market share..then fall as they did, things like this theft system issue are one more reason so many people shy away from GM after having purchased one of their products."

"Today if you're product or service is not excellent, you're finished. It's only a matter of time. You're living on borrowed time." ~Brian Tracy

Edited by: tampagenie ( )

0

tgwilson1960
1

I will never buy another GM product, because of this security system. I have owned approx. 25 new and used GM vehicles and the one I currently own( 2003 S10) sitting disabled in my driveway has cost me money I don't time, time lost from work, missed weddings, doctor appts. ect ect. Its in good condition and has only 158K miles but is basically worthless, I cant sell it, trade it. anyway I did the resistor bypass and it has been getting me to work until yesterday. Usually if it dies I can wiggle the grey connector where it goes into lock cyl assembly and it will start. That no longer works, so I assume that the passlock sensor in the column has finally crapped out. Security light only comes on when doors are opened and when you initially turn key switch. no blinking like before ect. Is the sensor in column gone or has the BCM finally quit? I have to fix this my self as I can not afford another 500.00 trip to Chevrolet. I guess a Ford is in my near future

0

James blackwell
1

I having trouble with my passcode , happened 2 time last week now it has no lights sounds it want do anything

Can anybody help me

James blackwell,

0

jonlapray
1

I have been dealing with this issue for a few years. A mod box fixed it for a couple years, but then also failed. Like one of the other responders,I will not be buying another GM. Of course I am typing this as I am sitting stranded at the gas station, so we will see how I feel in a couple weeks when I have forgotten about the inconvenience.