Repair information on hard drives or hard disks. Hard drives are magnetic data storage devices. They are used in most desktop, laptop, and server due to their low cost and high data density.

How to restore files from formatted hard drive

Hello iFixit, I have a problem to restore my data from my hard drive. Here is the chronology :

1. My computer won't boot.

2. So, I have to reformatted the drive, and reinstall everything. But i didn't have any backup from it.

3. I continue working with my computer.

4. Suddenly, i remember that I need one file from my hard drive. But, it was formatted, so i don't know if i can find it.

5. I've been searching all around, and i ended up using Data rescue and Disk Drill, but still no luck.

I hope it's clear enough. Any answer, or suggestion will be very helpful for me.

It's so desperate.

You should recover your driver early

I found online an answer for your problem

Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and select the disk where you lost your data and click "Scan" button.

The software will quickly run a quick scan on the selected disk to find all your target files

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard...

When talking about Mac hard disk formatting, users will not feel strange with it. https://goo.gl/YpdJPp uFlysoft can help users to clean the hard disk or fix some errors, but it can also bring users data loss problem due to the wrong operation on it. Actually after formatting Mac hard disk drive, users still have chance to get the lost files back. Follow uFlysoft to recover the lost data after Mac hard disk drive has been formatted.

Well...this means the data overwritten situation happened on your drive. But you still have chance to recover your files.

The first thing you need to know is that when you format your drive, there are still chances for you to recover the files, but the re-installation may make the file recovery fail.

Actually formatting doesn't mean the files are gone forever. Only the space of these deleted files have been freed up for the new files. So you still have the chance to recover them. But you need to make sure you did not put any new files into the drive which your files were stored before 'cause once you do this the new files will take the space of the deleted files and you will lose the files forever.

And the re-installation means you put new files into your drive. So you may have no chance to recover the files on your system disk, but you still have chance to recover other files on other disk like D;, E;, F;, etc. on your computer. (Here I assume your system is installed on disk C;.)

The the next problem is that you still working on your computer. This is also depending on which disk you store your works. It's the same like the "data overwritten situation" I said above.

Perhaps you can visit this to see if it can help you or not: http://www.uflysoft.net/data-recovery/da...

As everyone writes above, the format will wipe your data and cause data loss. Therefore, after receiving the “not formatted error” message, you need a hard drive recovery freeware to retrieve your data and format it to restore its normal use. This freeware offers four recovery options for every user to cope with nearly all possible recovery problems: “Advanced File Recovery”, “Format Recovery”, “Deep Scan Recovery” and “Partition Recovery”. It always works well. You should have a try.

You could download this freeware there:

http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2017/08/de...

Important note: You should never place new data on this hard drive to rewrite your original files, if you still want to get them all back.

You should buy a new drive or memory card to save your recovered data in case of data loss.

You should format it after the recovery process.

You should remember to back up your data regularly in the future.

It's to late, according to what type of format you did possibly someone like Drive Savers might be able to get it: http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/w...

"Time machine" is a built-in backup tool that works with your Mac and an external drive, As the problem you described, I read it. The files deleted in Trash bin could be a different problem which Time machine can't solve. you can read this article and learn more. I hope it will help.

Try rebooting and formatting your hard disk

It is possible to recover the file you are looking for, provided that you do nothing that reinstalls the OS or data files. Since you have reformatted the drive and reinstalled everything, the chances have decreased to recover the file. As mentioned by others, you can take the drive to a professional recovery service but it will cost quite a bit to retrieve the file. Most of these services do not charge if they are not successful.

For future reference: if you are not able to boot and you are not able to fix the boot problem, buy a replacement hard drive the same or larger size than the original. Set up the new drive, install the OS and your applications. Then you can connect the old drive to recover the data, either by using an external drive case or if your computer supports it, add it as a second drive. Make sure the new OS does not try to format the old drive, you can look for recovery tools to find and recover your data.

In a cost/benefit analysis, which is cheaper spending around $1000 for data recovery or spending $100 for a replacement hard drive? Prices will vary .

There could be so many causes including yours for the hard drive data corruption. Personally I feels that, once the data gets lost there are very less chances that you can recover them using any manual tricks. So I always suggest everyone to take backup of your important files time to time. As per your situation I think you should try any third party tool to recover your lost data. There are many tool available online but be cautious while choosing the best data recovery tool. I would like to vote up SysInfoTools Windows Data Recovery Software in such situation.

Hi Dear,

Its a misconception that data once formatted can't be retrieved back so, the file that you need is still safe and can be recovered back by using a data recovery program. Actually what happen whenever we delete any data then that data becomes invisible to the user but it still remains in the storage media like hard drive. Also only overwriting can cause permanent deletion of the data. If you want to gather more information you can visit this link

http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Reformatt...

Due to formatting your computer it's tough to retrieve your lost file/data; but still you have some hope, try Data Recovery Service provider company they can recover your lost data. One thing more please don't try free tools, once overwrite can cause your permanently lost your valuable data.

Ref: Hard disk Data Recovery Services

I stand corrected.

It is possible to recover lost files from a formatted hard drive, take a look at this hard drive format recovery guide: recover data from formatted hard drive

hope this helps you get back your lost files.

I've used Disk Drill data recovery software. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35373/d...

After testing Disk Drill free, I bought Disk Drill Pro to recover photos (NEF RAW) from a memory card.

There are professionally skilled people in market for Hard Drive Data Recovery services and many more services. If you are facing any issue of data recovery, they can easily help you with that to store data from Hard Drive...ensure your data with the help of our Hard Drive Recovery Service. Data recovery is done from our core professionals to avoid loss.

For recovery data to visit us: http://www.nottinghamdatarecovery.co.uk

jumawa99 will be eternally grateful.