Parts & Tools

The long-awaited refresh of the popular Mac mini. Processor options include 3.6 GHz quad-core Intel Core i3, 3.0 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5, and 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 processors.

Mac Mini RAM Upgrade Early 2020

Hey

Please don’t mind me asking - is it possible to upgrade the RAM in the new version of the Mac Mini from March 2020 as described for the 2018 Model? It would think so, but would like to make sure for my purchase.

Cheers

What are the specifications of memory on the MacMini 2020?

@bknj - DDR4 PC4-21300 2666 MHz 260 pin SO-DIMM's (max of two DIMM's) Review this guide Mac mini Late 2018 Memory (RAM) Replacement

Thanks for the reply. Crazy how much Apple charges for RAM.

Based off of images on Apple’s website for the Early 2020 Mac mini Overview and the statement on the he Apple Web site that the Mac Mini will use SO-DIMM RAM I would say yes, the memory is upgradable.

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Most Helpful Answer

While Apples Mac Mini RAM guide implies its not upgradable Upgrade or install memory in your Mac mini

Both the 2018 & 2020 have serviceable RAM as seen here in this guide: Mac mini Late 2018 Memory (RAM) Replacement.

Apple has only upgraded the CPU, RAM and Storage options in 2020 not altering the basic system design.

I did one last month. 32GB Just make sure the RAM is fully seated so you don't have to open it twice like I did.

Is the crucial ddr4 2666 32gb SODIMM the correct ram to instal in the Mac mini i7 2020? Iv been trying to find out for a while. Thanks

Best to contact Crucial to ask them. Crucial

Will Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL15 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory (HX426S15IB2/16) be compatible with the mac mini 2020? I am thinking to buy one.

On the market there are suitable memories with different speeds: 2666Mhz and also 3200Mhz. Does it make sense to use the 3200 Mhz ones on this Mac 2020 model?

Be aware you will be really disassembling the Mac Mini to get to the Ram slots. After you remove the black plastic cover and get to the Torx security screws be careful not to mix them as there are different sizes for the screws.

Finally when you go to insert the Ram take care to ensure the Ram is not inserted at an angle and is seated completely in the Ram slot. My roommate had to reopen his because one of the Ram cards wasn't fully seated in it's slot.

Lennart will be eternally grateful.