0

Felipe
1

Changing glossy for matte display

I´ve been reading a lot about replacing a display on a macbook pro. It seems to be fairly easy with the right tools.

I was wondering, however, if it´s possible to replace the complete display assembly from a glossy one (1440x900) to a matte display (1680x1050).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by: Derek Halman ( )

It appears the most difficult part of the procedure would be finding an aluminum bezel

Derek Halman,

1

Derek Halman

Yes, in fact I'm tempted to do so myself :)

UPDATE: I'd like to again state that it is, indeed, possible. It has been done successfully, though i am unable to find the guides for matte displays. I know that they are very slightly less complicated than the glossy screens, but I'll see what I can do about a guide for you.

Edited by: Derek Halman ( )

0

Charles
1

Hello Felipe,

Did you get an answer at all ? I'd like to do that too...

- Charlie

0

Felipe
1

nope. sadly i didn't :(

http://lowendmac.com/bookrev/09br/0306.h... This is an example of it being done, if they can do it, so can you :)

Derek Halman,

0

Dan

Not so fast! The Apple Antiglare display is not the same as Apples base unit display!

From Apple's online store page: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/sh...

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

If you have a Hi-Res Glossy display it's a easy exchange for the Antiglare via Apple or by getting their replacement part.

If on the other hand you have the standard Glossy display I was told the Hi-Res display requires the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB or AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB memory to drive it. And will not work with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB.

I would double check with Apple to make sure your system could be upgraded. Either the video memory and/or display its' self.

Frankly, I think the cost of buying a new MacBook Pro via the online store would be cheaper than replacing the display. If you are exchanging out Apple displays.

If you're going with a 3rd party exchange out then they are taking your outer glass and sand blasting the glass (Matting it) and then rebuilding it, so theres no issue with the display logic. But it may not be as good as the Hi-Res unit.

Make sure you've see up close what one of their conversions look like before forking over the money.

I'll agree the matte cover sheets are not very good. But at least you can change your mind.

Edited by: Dan ( )

0

imomibl
1

Don't listen to Dan. As long as your Macbook Pro has graphics switching and your model was offered with the Matte HiRes display, it won't be a problem.

1. Identify the different models of display that Apple used (Samsung, LG, etc.) and purchase on eBay or reseller site

2. Find genuine bezels on eBay or reseller site

3. Find a bunch of videos on Youtube on how to disassemble and install the new screen. It can be a guide for glossy screens, it doesn't matter

4. DONE

0

Julian Lang
1

I have two MacBook Pro 15.

One is from 2010 and has a Glossy High-Res Display and the other is the Early 2011 with the Antiglare Display.

Now I want to switch the displays between the two Laptops.

For example, I know that the 2011 MacBook Pro has a HD Webcam and the 2010 has not.

Now, my question is if it is possible to switch displays easily and maybe even switch the webcams. What other things do I have to consider?

Best,

Julian