MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 Repair

Model A1286. Released February 2011 / 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Changing glossy for matte display

I´ve been reading a lot about replacing a display on a macbook pro. It seems to be fairly easy with the right tools.

I was wondering, however, if it´s possible to replace the complete display assembly from a glossy one (1440x900) to a matte display (1680x1050).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It appears the most difficult part of the procedure would be finding an aluminum bezel

by Derek Halman

Hello Felipe, Did you get an answer at all ? I'd like to do that too... - Charlie

by Charles

nope. sadly i didn't :(

by Felipe This is an example of it being done, if they can do it, so can you :)

by Derek Halman

Not so fast! The Apple Antiglare display is not the same as Apples base unit display!

From Apple's online store page:

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

- MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

If you have a Hi-Res Glossy display it's a easy exchange for the Antiglare via Apple or by getting their replacement part.

If on the other hand you have the standard Glossy display I was told the Hi-Res display requires the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB or AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB memory to drive it. And will not work with the AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB.

I would double check with Apple to make sure your system could be upgraded. Either the video memory and/or display its' self.

Frankly, I think the cost of buying a new MacBook Pro via the online store would be cheaper than replacing the display. If you are exchanging out Apple displays.

If you're going with a 3rd party exchange out then they are taking your outer glass and sand blasting the glass (Matting it) and then rebuilding it, so theres no issue with the display logic. But it may not be as good as the Hi-Res unit.

Make sure you've see up close what one of their conversions look like before forking over the money.

I'll agree the matte cover sheets are not very good. But at least you can change your mind.

Most Helpful Answer

Yes, in fact I'm tempted to do so myself :)

UPDATE: I'd like to again state that it is, indeed, possible. It has been done successfully, though i am unable to find the guides for matte displays. I know that they are very slightly less complicated than the glossy screens, but I'll see what I can do about a guide for you.

No no no no no. Dan's advice is noise, even the original MCP79 based Unibody boards from 2008 will drive a 1680x1050 LCD no problem. 2008 and 2009 A1286 models use NVIDIA MCP79, which will work up to 2560x1600.

2560x1600 > 1680x1050.

You do NOT need an AMD card from 2011 unless you want to output 4k over DisplayPort.

An LP154WE3-TLB1 can be found online for eighty bucks, and the bezel is not necessary. The suggestion of buying a new machine is equally silly when you can perform this entire upgrade for less than the cost of one day of Manhattan parking.

Finding the LCD is simple, finding the bezel is miserable. The bezel is totally optional though. these people are idiots but it is ebay so you can always file a claim if they &&^& you over.

Don't listen to Dan. As long as your Macbook Pro has graphics switching and your model was offered with the Matte HiRes display, it won't be a problem.

1. Identify the different models of display that Apple used (Samsung, LG, etc.) and purchase on eBay or reseller site

2. Find genuine bezels on eBay or reseller site

3. Find a bunch of videos on Youtube on how to disassemble and install the new screen. It can be a guide for glossy screens, it doesn't matter

Score -1

The disassebly of the matte screen is very different than the glossy. There is a guide:

by maccentric

Felipe will be eternally grateful.