Apple AirPods are wireless headphones released December 2016.

Right AirPod dying quicker than the left

So I have Gen 1 AirPods with the 2nd Gen Wireless Charging Case. I’ve noticed that my right AirPod is actually dying quicker. I charge them both to 100% and use them at the same time. My mic for them is set to automatic, not on specific side. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks!

Hi! Happens to me too sometimes (not always) and they are brand new. Perhaps it's something in the firmware? On which firmware version are yours running?

Hey, they’re running on the latest they can right now (6.8.8) @koppie007

That is the newest firmware for the Airpods (1st gen). Perhaps the battery life is reduced for the right Airpod...

Why would it be reduced on one side by a substantial amount though? They’re always used at the same time. If it helps they were dead flat and charged to around 80% in like 5 minutes. Not sure if that’s normal or not. @koppie007

They charge really really fast, and mine do charge within minutes too, so I guess it's okay. Some batteries (beginning to) die earlier then others with no specific reason.. But sometimes I got the same issue as you described, perhaps a bug in the firmware? Wondering how many people are facing this..

The Essential Toolkit

The most helpful tools in our most compact kit.

The Essential Toolkit

This is likely because of the physical battery in the device. If you use one of them significantly more than the other it can negatively affect the battery. Using one a lot more than the other will cause it to have more cycles and cause the battery to deteriorate faster. Unfortunately, the batteries on airpods tend to die after ~ 1 and 1/2 years, and the batteries are essentially unreplaceable. It might also be that you keep one plugged in far too much, causing the battery to deteriorate from always being connected to power.

I’ve only had my airpods for a couple of days and this is happening

Most Helpful Answer

I had the right earpod configured to use Siri and that one was draining about 5-6 times faster than the left one. I set both earpods to play/pause on tap today and since then they seem to be charging at the same rate. Indeed it displays a single charging pod icon on my phone when I pop the case open where earlier it was displaying separate ones for left and right pods.

Thank you. It worked for me too. was searching for a solution from few months. It's always these small things that fixes most complicated issues. I wouldn't say it fixed it completely but draining on my right airpod is now much slower than before.

For everyone that reads this in the future, I purchased Airpods Pro which had this issue on second use. (first use, it went to 100%). on the next uses, the left pod could not go higher than 70% charger. and when using it, 70% of charge finish in just 30min, where the right side was normal.

I called apple, at first, i was told that i have to use my airpod for 1 week and battery will settle by itself. I told them I “want” to use it, but it do not allow me. it keep go off after short period of time. so they agree to exchange, but apple exchange would take 14 days where I am.

so I went back to the same e-commerce website that I purchased it from (tiki.vn), they send a bike to collect airpod from me, they investigate and after 3 days, they send another bike to deliver a new box to me (completely new). new box does not have this issue anymore.

I wish that was the answer for me too. Both in their case for several days. I go use them, case is 90% full, left is around the same, but right shows 27%. Confused, I closed and open the case again. Then it showed 70%. Went out and in 45 minutes of listening to podcasts, the right had no more batteries. I will have to call Apple and ask. It’s annoying. Just got them a week ago.

Suggest you guys ask for a replacement from wherever you purchased them. I called Apple and they couldn’t help beyond troubleshooting. They suggested I get a replacement from the vendor. I had bought them on Amazon and requested a replacement. New Airpods work flawlessly.

My AirPods the left dies before the right ,and their not loud at all..their very low and I increased all the volume .still not booming like others

@sleem40 The reason why your AirPods sound low might be the fact that they need to be cleaned. There might be deposits of ear wax on the speaker grill/mesh. What you can do is either get them cleaned for free if your AirPods are in warranty or its chargeable. In case you want to clean it at home, you can use a soft bristles toothbrush and gently brush the speaker grill on the AirPods with slow strokes in single direction.

I had the same problem,

Primary problem is that these batteries are so tiny that they will charge faster and as we all know whenever these Pods are in case are always on charging mode and due to this batteries deteriorates faster. Apple don’t seem to have any solution yet. (I recommend keep out your Pods from the case whenever it’s not in use.)

For me I cleared all the dust from the case and then parity was restored. Dust causes charging malfunctioning and you’ll always see charging differences from one Pod to another.

I hope this is helpful. :) Good Day!!

Jakob will be eternally grateful.