1.86GHz or 2.13GHz Processor, 128GB or 256GB Flash Storage

Can I upgrade my MBA to a larger than 256GB SSD?

Can I upgrade my MBA to a larger than 256GB SSD? Specs are: 2.17Ghz 8GB 256GB

Thanks a lot Mayer. ;)

No problem, glad to help.

You are right Majesty. Ram and drives are more expensive than the MBA itself.

Hi Mayer,

I'm trying to figure out your question about the downvote but can't. Can you help me?

My last comment was:

Thanks a lot Mayer. ;)

ThunderMBA, Jul 23 2011

By the way: Happy 2013 :)

You downvoted my answer. It's the only vote you've casted.

Most Helpful Answer

Here's a 480 GB drive that should work for you: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDAP...

That's one expensive SSD. I wanted to max my Macbook Pro at 16GB until I saw the RAM costs almost $1,500!!! Ridiculous!!

how come so expensive then the macbook air itself?

SIMRAN, wish a had a concise answer for that. It makes no sense. wether it's a SSD or RAM upgrade, it should never cost more than the machine itself.

thats why i m asking you a question why more expensive then machine itself ? how this possible

SIMRAN, they just hope that people that cannot wait will buy it anyway, regardless of it's inflated price. I'll wait.

The SSD is proprietary and changes every year, but yes it can be done. You will need to match the year up to get the right SSD or use the model number to make sure you are buying the right one.

To open the laptop, you will need a P5 Pentalobe screwdriver.

P5 Pentalobe Screwdriver Retina MacBook Pro and Air Image

I erased my comment as it was wrong. You still get the upvote but I'll bet he has the new 1.7 i5 MacBook Air.

Another alternative, to give you some of the benefits of an SSD and still retain the size capabilities or a disk drive, would be the Seagate Momentus XT.

Reviews have been very good, just don't expect it to be an absolute speed demon. You will certainly notice a big difference between it and the stock hard drive, but transfer rates do not come close to even a base line SSD.

Score -1

He already has a SSD. Getting a hybrid drive would actually be a downgrade.

I think I'll stock here until buying a Time Capsule. Thanks for your recommendation Majesty.

Hence the "another alternative" statement. Downgrade for speed, upgrade for space.

heh, heh! Would be great a Time Capsule with a 3TB SSD. Maybe we are not to far from that. :) Can you imagine? Speed, Space and Wireless.

"Another Alternative"? LOL You are suggesting a downgrade and not only that, but the "alternative" you are offering doesn't even fit in a Macbook Air. LOL

ThunderMBA will be eternally grateful.