Released by Samsung in March 2016. Model SM-G930V.

Why does my screen go black when the phone is too cold?

This started back in November, My phone would get too cold and would have a flickering screen. I tried many factory resets but no such luck. I switched to another phone for a while but am back to the S7. If the phone temperature is too cold the phone screen goes completely black and I can’t see. I literally have to place my phone a heater in order for the screen to light back up. Everything else is still functional I just can see what I am doing when the phones internal temperature is too cold. (was in the 60’s this week and it still was too cold or the screen to work)

What can I replace for this to work?

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @akeyes ,

When the screen is black, is there still are display visible if you shine a torch at an angle close to the screen? I’m not quite sure from your question if there is or not.

If there is then there is a screen backlight problem.

Cold contracts, heat expands.

if the screen backlight fails in the cold in may be a backlight power supply problem on the motherboard, (faulty soldered connection perhaps), a display flex cable connection problem at the motherboard end or in the screen itself

Here’s a link to the ifixit Samsung Galaxy S7 Screen Replacement guide, which may be of some help in checking the motherboard and flex cable motherboard connection for any obvious problems.

As a DIY repair you may have to install a new display to determine where the problem is, either in the display or back in the motherboard.

@jayeff There is a flickering until the phone goes black. Additionally the top half inch of the screen stays at the normal lighting while the rest of the screen flickers and goes black. So I can literally only see the top notification bar and nothing else.

Hi @akeyes ,

It does seem like a faulty backlight connection in the LCD screen.

Can you see if the display is still there when using a torch, it will be very faint? You didn't say.

As I said you may have to replace the LCD screen to prove where the problem is.

Amy Keyes will be eternally grateful.