The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Screen Discoloration, color distortion, help deciding what to replace

I want to know if I need to replace the whole LCD or if I can replace an Inverter or a different display component or possibly do some cleaning. I have some photos of the broken mac next to a fully functional mac as well as some pics of the back side of the screen. I know that I probably need to replace the LCD but I am trying to stay cheap. This mac is a MacBook 2,1 2.16 GHz

It is definitely not a display setting, I have tried all of those and the screen is distorted even at the initial boot up.

What does it do if you hook it up to an external monitor?

How Do I Fix my MacBook Air with Discolor to the Screen? I can't see my FaceTime. Help?

There's corrosion on your LCD electronic board, on the LVDS connector/socket and also signs of electric shorts (black spots). I guess liquid was spilled in this area. You can begin by cleaning the corrosion with isopropyl alcohol and a small brush but IMHO the LCD will have to be replaced. Let us know if the cleaning job was enough to restore a normal video. Good luck.

Thank you for the great idea. I used a little rubbing alcohol on some q-tips to clean the dirty spots and the display is as good as new. I saved $100 instead of buying a new LCD.

Hey, that's good news Shawn. It seems that the black spots were not signs of electric shorts and only the corrosion altered the video signal. Great !! Thanks for accepting my answer (-:

+ Nice answer lemerise - Those black spots are/were shorts. _______________+ Shawn GREAT presentation of your problem. I wish everyone posting their problem here would put that kind of effort into it.

This could be caused by a few different problems, that you should try ruling out. First, try connecting it to an external monitor. If it works normally, then you have a problem with the LCD panel/LVDS cable. If it still displays abnormally, then you have a logic board problem. (More specifically, a problem with the integrated graphics chip) The only way to repair this is to reflow the GPU, or replace the logic board all together.

Shawn will be eternally grateful.