Late 2011 model, A1278 / 2.4 GHz i5 or 2.8 GHz i7 processor.

Unreliable keyboard - repair or replace?

BACKGROUND: Altho nearly 8 years old, my MBP does everything I need it to as I’ve upgraded it with 8GB RAM, an SSD and a 750GB hard drive. The battery, which I replaced a couple of years ago (it was swollen and affected the trackpad) holds a charge pretty well, but the system report says it needs service. I manage with ‘Keyboard viewer’ and a bluetooth keyboard , but it’s not ideal. Nothing has been spilled in or on this Mac, and I recently removed the bottom and everything inside looks good to me.

SYMPTOMS: The first keys to become unreliable were 1, 2, 3, slowly spreading to 9. Lately the ‘E’ key only works if I hit it hard. The keyboard seems to work better when the device is cold.

QUESTION: before undertaking the ‘difficult’ Top Case replacement, I just want to check whether there are other things I should check.

Here’s a video on how to replace your keyboard. The part should be about $25.

A small electric screw driver really helps on this one. Time required for a novice should be about 2 to 2.5 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz7qt53G...

Most Helpful Answer

too hard to repair - very cheap to replace - the reason ———— replace

P.S. NO NEED TO REPLACE TOP CASE - just keyboard for about £15!!

It is not difficult to replace the keyboard. The link below is a keyboard that should work for your MBP model. If you need help putting it on post here and i will try and respond quickly. (You can copy and paste the link into your URL Bar at the top and it should take you to the keyboard aforementioned on amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/Padarsey-Replacem...

thank you, Crazy!

You’re welcome Dagnew.

dagnew will be eternally grateful.