A1706 / EMC 3071—Released in November 2016, this 13" Macbook Pro introduces the OLED Touch Bar. Features a dual-core "Skylake" Intel Core i5 CPU and four Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Horizontal lines on top and bottom screen

Hi i have huge horizontal semi transparent lines on top and bottom of my 2016 touchbar retina macbook pro 13inch.

Other symptoms includes No audio devices found(cant play sound)

Is there any possible reasons for this? I highly doubt is a software problem.

I have the same issue. lines suddenly appeared in menu bar. And i’m out of warranty.

Did they gave you warranty exception?

Did you find out how to fix it or get anywhere with this, as I'm having the same problem.

Did anyone get this issue fixed under warranty or an explanation as to the cause? My 2017 13” MBP (TB) is now having the same issue at the bottom of the display.

I have the same problem as well

Same problem here. Anyone with the solution?

Looks like you also have the same problem as black bar at the bottom screen!

Sadly your screen is failing! You’ll need to see if Apple will cover it under an extended warranty exception!

Hi Derek and Dan, thanks for replying. thats really disappointing for apple products quality. Apple told me to come in and have a check. Too bad my Applecare expired.

I think the problem caused by loose connection of display to logic board due to heat issues as mentioned by Dan. My mac usually got kept in my car trunk, and i live in a tropical place, temperatures are quite high and humid.

@jason12 - Just to clarify the issue is the diffuser sheets within the screen have curled up in your case the heat did it being stored in the trunk of your car. But I won't tell Apple that ;-} Take a look here MacBook Pro Retina Display Teardown checkout Step 12 which shows the defuser sheets.

I think you can get is fixed under extended warranty! Thats when a defect is found beyond the normal warranty period. Ask the authorized Apple center for a warranty exception I think they will give it to you.

Most Helpful Answer

HI Jason,

Indeed this is likely not a software issue, but it can also have multiple source causes. For the 2016 models, this is unfortunately a common problem.

In most cases, I would suggest possibly a failing GPU which likely means that Apple would have to replace the logic board, or a bad connection with the display port cable, and re-seating it could possibly help.

But from what I was able to gather from the official apple.com forum, is that many people have had this issue, some specifically say it would happen during cold weather.

No solutions found as far as a replaceable part that fails, they blame it on quality. I would take that with a grain of salt as someone might have the answer to the root cause of the horizontal lines issue on the 2016 retina 13” MBP.

Thanks alot for the response, can you share with me the links on apple forums that you went through. I'm contacting apple support too.

I've seen two with this problem and both needed new screens luckily they were under AppleCare+

Other than liquid or heat damage nothing you could have done would cause this. Basically it's a defective part from the get go.

Sorry for late reply Jason, here is the apple forum thread I had read through: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/783...

UPDATE: It's now known as a T-CON board issue. The design of this series places part of the displays logic within the main case placed just above the heat transfer fins of the heat sink. So when the system is running hard the heat can boil up cooking the T-CON board. Sometimes dust buildup within the fans and fins block proper cooling. If you are just getting the static lines you want to make sure you get your system cleaned and reduce the processing load. Also make sure your rear area is clear of any blockage as well.

I strongly recommend installing a good thermal monitoring app like TG Pro as it can offer you a means to ramp up the fans (Turbo) as well as log your thermals so you can follow over time when you need to go back in to clean your system.

This seems to be either torn display flex cable or Components out of specs due to age or thermal cycle. Ether way it’s a hardware issue and likely requiring the replacement of the entire clamshell assembly.

@tomchai - So far heat is the only thing that I can equate to this failure. Basically, the defuser sheets become unglued on the back along the bottom and/or top edge so the amount of light is lessoned going outwards though the LCD panel. The two I've seen had the systems cooking in a car and a boat.

Apples efforts to cut thickness with the keyboard and now the display is coming back to haunt them! Between the ribbon cable failures and now the de-lamination of the sheets.

Interesting, first time seeing an optical issue on Macs. Apple really messed up on recent Mac models, problems everywhere.

There is two issues!

The first is the delimitation of the defuser sheets when the system has been cooked by the sun in a car as an example.

The second issue which is the issue in this question is an issue with the T-CON board. The design of this series places part of the displays logic within the main case placed just above the heat transfer fins of the heat sink. So when the system is running hard the heat can boil up cooking the T-CON board. Sometimes dust buildup within the fans and fins block proper cooling. If you are just getting the static lines you want to make sure you get your system cleaned and reduce the processing load. Also make sure your rear area is clear of any blockage as well.

hey guys an update on my issue, i never went for a fix, the problem went away after i left it to rest for a few days, i believe its an overheat issue. my screen has been working fine for the past few months since reporting this. Not sure it will come back, but this is definitely a faulty hardware, and Apple is not admitting it!

Affected model: 2016 Macbook Pro touch bar

Thanks Jason, I believe you may be onto something there. If I shutdown my MacBook and don't use it for a couple of days when I first turn it on there are no lines either.

Unfortunately I use it for many hours most days so the issue has persisted, I also live in a relatively hot climate. The MacBook is often quite warm for the entire duration of its use.

It's a shame that they cannot seem to get adequate heat management on these MacBooks and they seem to have persistent design flaws in this current iteration, it is my first MacBook and probably my last due to this, despite how much I enjoy Mac OS.

Didn't touch my macbook over the weekend since this problem has been upsetting me lately. Lines are now taking much longer to appear and aren't as dark as they were before. From the beginning, leaving my computer to rest for a couple hours always made lines disappear for a while. Strangely, typing and touching the trackpad make them flicker. The angle of the screen does not seem to influence anything, at least in my case. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Please someone share actual solutions without Apple care services, as my MacBook is out of warranty. I’m having same issues from past 1 week.

UPDATE The issue has finally been identified! There is in fact two different issues! The first is the de-lamination of the defuser caused by people leaving their systems in a hot car these are solid grey areas at the top and bottom edges. Time for a new display assembly.

The second is when you see the discreet scan lines these are caused by the T-CON board failing from the heat from the heat sink fins boiling up cooking it.

In some cases cleaning the fans and fins of dust build up (as well as the rest of the system) for better cooling as well as not blocking the exhaust area in the back. Sadly if cleaning doesn’t solve things you’ll need to replace the display assembly.

i am also having same problem from yesterday. This is so disappointing. I am unable to manage repair cost on the other side i am just stuck on my iOS development.

If there is any solution without full display replacement may b i can manage that cost and continue my study. This is so disappointing :(

Macbook Pro 13" 2017

My MP 2017 is fixed by (unofficial) local store, they spend a lot of time to investigate, and they find out the root cause, I remember they said they just replaced a wire somewhere connect to monitor (hmm, I can’t remember exactly, but the point is “a wire cause this issue”). So I don’t have to replace any hardware else.

This is my screen before repair (horizontal line at the top edge and bottom edge):

Is it the same issue as the flexgate? Did they change the flex cable of the LCD?

Even though what we have is a different issue where we have black lines across the screen instead of the backlight being disabled in Flexgate.

https://ifixit.org/blog/13979/apples-201...

how much is the cost to replace the wire? i’m currently having the same problem. most people took their laptops to apple and they were told to replace the whole screen which gonna cost a fortune.

Hi Khang. Are you in HCMC? Did laptopvang solve that problem for you?

I am in HN and got the same problem but I don't know and where to fix it. Thank you.

cuong - Sorry to tell you this is not a wire issue its a de-lamination of the defuser and polarizer sheets from the backside of the display. The only way to fix this is to replace the full lid assembly.

UPDATE The issue has finally been identified! There is in fact two different issues!

The first is the de-lamination of the defuser caused by people leaving their systems in a hot car these are solid grey areas at the top and bottom edges. Time for a new display assembly.

The second is when you see the discreet scan lines these are caused by the T-CON board failing from the heat from the heat sink fins boiling up cooking it. In some cases cleaning the fans and fins of dust build up (as well as the rest of the system) for better cooling as well as not blocking the exhaust area in the back. Sadly if cleaning doesn’t solve things you’ll need to replace the display assembly.

Thanks Dan. How much do you have to pay for it? I am very upset now...

Recorded my display misbehaving today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FficHt...

At least in my case, these lines only appear after a while (~30 min or more). If I shutdown the computer and turn it back on right after, lines will still be there. However, if I wait a couple minutes before turning it back on, they won’t be there. The angle of the display doesn’t matter at all. Leaving the macbook on for long periods of time does make the problem worse. In this case, lines get darker and sometimes appear at the bottom as well. Ventilation seems to be working just fine and I can hear the fans kicking in during intensive tasks. Today when the lines appeared I placed my macbook in front of an AC unit and the lines faded slowly, so the problem is most likely heat related.

Well, in my case the problem solved itself (knock on wood). It's been more than a month since the lines last appeared. The only thing different that I did was to ditch the external monitor. Nothing else. Let's see how long this lasts. Got a quote for R$3500 to replace the display in an authorised service provider, but wasn't entirely sure the display was to blame so I didn't go ahead with the repair.

Well, strangely enough the lines on my macbook pro didn’t appear in the past few days, even with very heavy usage. The only thing different that I did that I can think of is that I built a new PC so the external monitor I used to plug to my macbook is now being used on the new machine. Thinking back, the problem may have first appeared when I started using an external monitor.

I live in Brazil and the cost of a new display assembly is R$3500,00 (~1000USD) according to Apple. I chose not to have the screen replaced as I’m not fully confident this is a display problem.

I have the same issue and I have narrowed it down to the dGPU. Every time the dGPU is active (external monitor, any app that uses dGPU), these lines appear.

If I remove the event causing dGPU use (disconnect monitor, exit apps using dGPU), the lines disappear quite quickly. I can reliably replicate this and monitor GPU usage in iStat menu.

Strangely, the external monitor itself doesn't show these lines, which is weird. I would have that a failing GPU would output glitches to all displays its driving.

Luckily, I have extended warranty and will take it to the Apple store for repairs.

Hello Gustavo,

I am also from Brazil and I am having the same issue with my MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar. Did you manage to fix the problem?

Regards.

Gustavo, Your T-CON board is likely overheating. This is the part which the ribbon cables connect to from the display under the bottom plate. just above the heat fins of the heat sink the fan blows the air across to cool the system. You might only need to clean the fins and fans fo dust build up as well as make sure the back area is not blocked as the heat build up will effect the T-CON board. If allowed to cook it could need replacing (full display assembly) which you really don't want to do.

My problem is also as same as yours Gustavo

Macbook Pro 13" 2017

So I had the exact same problem on my 2016 15” macbook pro and got it fixed for free.

If it was a 13” it would be covered by the https://support.apple.com/en-gb/13-inch-... , if not read the rest of this.

In my case i started noticing this within one month of the repair of my keyboard under the keyboard service program formac notebooks https://support.apple.com/en-gb/keyboard...

So, I went back to the mac service partner, said it started to appear after the repair, and they repaired it under Apple Quality Program(this is what was written on the repair report)!

I’m almost sure you already experienced sticky keys on your keyboard or double typing of some keys, if you didn’t it will happen soon, and i think they will only repair it within 4 years from the purchase date (btw i bought my Macbook pro second handed in Malaysia and i don’t have the proof of purchase but it was serviced without problems in Portugal).

What i suggest if you do not have warranty is to go to a service center and complain first about the keyboard.

They will replace it under the Keyboard Service Program available for several macbooks and after some time go back and complain about the screen and see what happens!

PS with my keyboard replacement i also got a new battery as it is glued to the top case :D

You where very lucky!

The backlight ribbon cable failure is a different issue, but it sounds like you had a double whammy so they could fix both!

yeah, and everyone can be lucky like me :)

My problem looked exactly like the one @jason12 posted in the first place above!

@danj I read the repair report of my screen again and I was wrong: they didn't repair under any warranty, because the report stated I had no warranty (the report had "no warranty"written on it). They wrote that it was repaired under "Apple Quality Program" I already edited my answer here :) so maybe is good news for everybody with this problem

Do you think if I take my MacBook and complain about both problems at once, they will fix it?

I have the same screen problem and i didn’t change the keyboard yet

I'm guessing they will. Doesn't hurt to try :)

Many people live the same problem. but the Apple doesn't offer a solution at all. 2 months after the end of the warranty.

When you see the discreet scan lines these are caused by the T-CON board failing from the heat from the heat sink fins boiling up cooking it.

In some cases cleaning the fans and fins of dust build up (as well as the rest of the system) for better cooling as well as not blocking the exhaust area in the back.

Sadly if cleaning doesn’t solve things you’ll need to replace the display assembly.

Hi! Same problem here. Happened 6 months out of warranty. Unfortunately, no Apple employee would acknowledge this.

I replaced the thermal compound and avoided doing anything intense on the CPU. Its been two months and the black bars don't seem to appear.

I'm pretty sure Dan's answer was the best since from what I found, it has nothing to do with any cabling in the display but rather some layer in the screen itself.

Hi Guys,

If your macbook pro is the 13” 2016 touchbar model, you can take advantage of this:

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-ma...

Just tell Apple that you got an intermittent backlight issue and I got my screen replaced for free.

Tried that too, Apple Service Center didn't even considered this issue to be back light problem, and asked fo $600 for screen replacement.

How did you convince them that it is backlight problem??

No need to show any photo. Just tell them that it’s intermittent. They will do a serial number check and if it’s eligible they will take in for repair for free.

Did your problem get resolved after you turned on Apple? @JLKS

@efcribeiro Yes, issue resolved after apple replaced the display

@JLKS tks for information

Same problem for me, mostly happens when MacBook is heating up. When I start using it there is no issue but after like 20-40 minutes it appears. I hope there will be a service program at some point.

2017 MacBook Pro

hi! i got the same problem and replaced for free, check my post above:

Re: Horizontal lines on top and bottom screen

Same problem with my MBP 13-inch 2017.

same problem here

Apple store told me that I can get my display replaced with the coating issue service program. This should fix the problem. I will try this. Possible within 4 years after purchase.

Simon Hausdorf, if your display replaced with the coating issue service program then let us know when you receive your MacBook

Same here.

You can see the mouse cursor rolling on the screen

this happens after somes hours using. If i shutdown and wait for an hour, it disappears.

Anyone know if i have to change the whole display or there some kind of fix.

Thnks

Thats exactly what happens to mine too. The lines appears some minutes after boot. It tends to get worst, now I have many more lines and they appears much faster.

SOLVED: As I mentioned above, my MacBook Pro 2017 13” had the same issue. This week I scheduled a repair in a AASP so they checked my model was in a quality program (recall) for both screen and keyboard. My warranty has past 6 months but they covered the replace of both lid and top case (with battery) anyway with no cost. Now I'm waiting for my almost brand new MacBook Pro comming from repair. I suggest everyone with the same issue to find a AASP as soon as possible. For those who already paid for the repair, I suggest to try a refund from Apple.

@edimach thank you for the informations. what quality program are you talking about? refers to the link below:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/13-inch-...

Can you walk me through the way you opened the support call on apple?

Tks

Hey, mine is 2017. On the program they put just the 2016. Is that a problem on the store?

This "recall" seems to be a little secret by now, I don't think you will find much information out of this post. But I can assure the momement I arrive in the AASP and told the issue they indentified as a common thing and quickly directed to the "Quality Program". I thought my laptop model was not included but it is.

@efcribeiro you need to bring your laptop to a Genius Bar or AASP (in my case was iPlace here in Brazil). You need to schedule in Apple site: https://getsupport.apple.com/. Select Mac >Hardware Issues > Repair... So on. Something like this. Don't waste your time on phone call with them, I tried and didnt worked.

Great Edimach. Im from brazil too. Which store did you go?

Is this is the issue with my macbook pro 14,1(mid-2017) too?

Nishant - Your T-CON board has failed! You'll need a new display assembly to get this fixed

TL;DR SOLVED: read my last post.

Same. 4 months after the end of warranty. I contacted Apple Support to claim a warranty exception so they said this problem is not one which Apple will consider an exception. They also said in future Apple can consider a refund if they confirm the range of the problem, for now the only thing I can do is repairing for myself and spend a lot of money.

Which country are you located in?

I'm in Brazil

I'm in Brazil as well and my macbook has the same problem. Did you get a quote on how much the repair would cost?

Gustavo, boa noite. Você resolveu o problema no seu MBPs? Caso positivo, poderia me dar uma dica de como resolveu esse caso? Obrigado.

Você consegui resolver o problema no seu MBPs? @edimach

I had warranty left (since I bought my MBP 2016) from JBHifi Australia and proceeded to get it repaired when I had this problem. Took about 7 weeks to repair for me and luckily it was under warranty, otherwise the parts used totalled $523.75AUD. I’ve been using it again for another month now and these lines has began to appear again. So I honestly don’t know what to do, repair seems to do absolutely nothing and I’m too poor to either get a new MBP (for editing purposes) or get another repair.

Same here :’(( macbook pro touchbar 2017. Really need help

It's now known as a T-CON board issue. The design of this series places part of the displays logic within the main case placed just above the heat transfer fins of the heat sink. So when the system is running hard the heat can boil up cooking the T-CON board. Sometimes dust buildup within the fans and fins block proper cooling. If you are just getting the static lines you want to make sure you get your system cleaned and reduce the processing load. Also make sure your rear area is clear of any blockage as well.

As your system is encountering it at the boot up the T-COM board is damaged and you'll need to get the display assembly replaced to fix it.

Happening on my MacBook 15” Retina mid 2016 and when i stopped using it for a few weeks when i went on vacation, when i returned the problem did not appear for a few days. Then it came back again after I used the computer heavily and has not stopped happening since. I think its related to thermals and appears when the computer runs hot.

I hope Apple acknowledges this problem and creates a service/recall or extended warranty program. They need to know that there are already a lot of units affected. This is also happing on my 2 friends MBPs - a Retina 13” and a 15”.

Is there any way to make this happen?

To make the issue happen? I think when the computer runs how by running a lot of apps or running heavy performing tasks

It's now known as a T-CON board issue. The design of this series places part of the displays logic within the main case placed just above the heat transfer fins of the heat sink. So when the system is running hard the heat can boil up cooking the T-CON board.

Sometimes dust buildup within the fans and fins block proper cooling. If you are just getting the static lines you want to make sure you get your system cleaned and reduce the processing load. Also make sure your rear area is clear of any blockage as well.

Same trash here with a THIRD replacement screen for my A1398 2013.

What da **** is that?! It’s THIRD failed replacement in tree months! ;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAzId2a...

do you still have warranty? Did you had to pay for the replacement?

No warranty. I paid for the replacement

Same problem here. 2017 MBP13 inch Touch Bar. 6 months out of warranty

Exactly the same issue I had. Read my last post and good luck!

Go get a replacement for "coating issue". It's within their service program. They will replace the whole screen which should fix the problem.

Apple replaced the screen for free, I just updated to Catalina, my MBP started to has some thermal issues management, I am worried about habiendo the same problem with the screen.

I have solution, you can try to install fan mac control. this software is customizer prm on your macbook. I think its not flexgate. Its overheating issue.

for me, fan mac control make the shadow is gone ..

how do you calibrate the fans?

Really try to get your Macbook into the quality program for topcase fix. As @edimach has mentioned earlier, the quality program is in most cases free. If you’re repairing within warranty, it is free. In my case, screen replacement wasn’t necessary, but replacing the topcase (including battery) did wonders. I think it’s a combined issue of overheating and certain components being really sensitive to overheating (overheating might have originated from battery in my case). My macbook is completely functional again. :) Hope it helps.

Edit: never mind, the lines have started to show up again. Going back to the Apple Store tomorrow.

As far as solution I've been using Mac fan control. I jack the fans up to the max when I'm working and the screen hasn't messed up since, it's been about 2 months since I've had it fixed. This will proberly reduce the lifespan of the fans but they are cheap to replace compared to the screen.

Jason will be eternally grateful.