Parts & Tools

{A1706 / EMC 3071}—Released in June 2017, this 13" Macbook Pro features Kaby Lake processors up to 3.5 GHz Core i7 with Turbo Boost up to 4.0 GHz.

black bar at the bottom screen

So I got this weird black bar that appears on the bottom of the bar only after using the laptop for a period of time, and it just getting higher since the first time it appeared!

Did you get your system wet or have it sitting in strong sunlight at anytime?

hmm… Never got it wet and always use this system under the roof. The only thing that I think of that maybe the culprit is I’m using a third party USB-C dongle to connect to VGA second monitor (since the original from Apple is way too expensive) and this dongle has a very hard time to show the right resolution on the external screen, sometimes it also Interferes with my WiFi killing it.

nope i have same problem .. i'm 100% convinced thar is caused by heat..

when the computer is super cold.. or off for a few days.. it goes away .. as soon as it star to warm up .. the dar bar shows.. .. it heat damage..

The problem is likely with the TCON board which is part of the Display Assembly.

Going on why you think it might be your 3rd party dongle, when you disconnect it does the display issue go away? If not then it's not related.

I've had this problem as well on a 2017 13" MacBook Pro. It appeared that the issue was due to the display cable (being a flat ribbon-type cable) got folded at quite an extreme angle. I opened up the MacBook and changed the extreme fold angle of the cable into a more 'humane' one. It got rid of the problem ever since.

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

The backlight diffuser sheets are coming loose from the back side of the panel at the bottom so the backlight is not illuminating that section. You’ll need a new display assembly. There is nothing repairable here as the display is sealed tightly.

You’ll need to bring it into an Apple Store or authorized service center as this should be covered under a warranty exception! If you have AppleCare+ you’re golden!

Oh…

The problem is nearest authorized service center is out of the town. Is there any chance this problem will expand? I mean getting higher from the current position (since I’m quite not sure if the height is increasing, since it always vary depend on the time I turn it on)

Will it get worse and be maybe sometime in the future around the half of the screen?

You know you can ship your system to Apple as well. The think is its about getting it repaired for free or paying out $800 US once the warranty expires. I wouldn't wait! Call Apple support and arrange for a shipping box be sent to you to get it serviced.

will the black bar increases to the point it will not be usable?

Hey dan, sorry to kind of hijack this thread but, I wanna ask if you're sure this is an lcd display issue?

I have the same exact issue and it happens and gets worse with heat (if say I play a game), but I'm not sure whether it's the display or the gpu?

I tried plugging into my tv, and the tv works perfectly fine. it's only the macbook that has this ever rising black bar at the bottom.

I'm asking cause I have a warranty on the display cause I replaced it recently, but the guy that replaced it assures me that he tried a different monitor and the problem persisted.

Due to our history I was inclined to believe him, but now I'm thinking he's a lying sack of horse stuff, so can I confront him with confidence?

There are two distinct issues here:

The first is when someone cooks their system, like leaving it exposed in a car so the diffuser sheets melt. This requires a new display assembly.

The second which is becoming more prevalent is overheating of the T-CON board which is physically attached to the LCD within the lid via ribbon cables. Sadly, you can't replace one without the other. Look at the picture above.

Clearly, your system was not fixed properly. You also maybe pushing your system too hard! Mac's are not online gaming boxes. So once you get your system properly fixed reduce your gamer play.

Not a Touch Bar model, but is this the same problem? 2016 MacBook Pro, approx 5mm black bar across the entire base of screen only noticed in recent days…

For what it’s worth… I took mine (MBP 13” 2016) with this issue into Apple and it was replaced under warranty.

May I ask about the warranty? Is it under some extended free warranty or it was bc of your apple care ?

Thanks,

How did you get it fixed under warranty ? You had apple care purchased ?

and getting bigger :( what should I do? My warranty is out, and this device I use for work, so it will be very troublesome for me if I have to bring it to the service center

Is the external monitor clean?

Yours is a bit different than what I've seen. In your case its a black bar not a grayish bar (see the other postings here)

Your ribbon cable maybe damaged. In any case you'll need a new display assembly. Sorry ;-{

I tried it on an external monitor and there was no problem ... I thought the problem was only on my screen ...

Black bar depends on what is displayed on the screen, if it displays black, the longer it will turn black, if it displays white it will turn white but most will be gray.

I asked at the unofficial service center, I had to replace the entire display, and it cost around $593 :( Almost as much as the second MD101 in my country (Indonesia).

But does this problem potentially occur on all newer Touch Bar MacBook Pro 2017?

So far all of the 2016 onward systems appear to be effected both 13" & 15".

There are two distinct issues cooking the system in a car causing the defuser & polarizer sheets to curl.

The second is the TCON board which sits within the main chassis is failing likely do to its placement near the heat fins of the heat sink.

It really makes no difference ;-{ In both cases it will require a new display as the LCD and the TCON board are bonded together and can't be replaced independently. Which is why its so expensive!

so I just bought this device about 2 weeks ago, second condition, I never left it in a car or a very hot room though. So far, the heavy work on this laptop has only run Android Studio and Xcode applications simultaneously, so that the engine is running up to hot conditions, after 10 days suddenly this problem appears and has worsened until now ..

if later on if I have changed the entire display, and still do my habits on this laptop, this problem will potentially occur again?

As you just bought it used, I would see if the store you bought the system will take it back for a refund or get it fixed under their warranty.

I’ve had this problem before. The black bars appeared after a period of usage and will get thicker the longer I use it.

It turns out that the issue was never with the display itself (screen) however it was the display cable connecting the motherboard to the display.

I fixed my MacBook Pro 13” 2017 with TouchBar just by fixing the position of the cable (previously folded in a harsh angle) into being folded without resulting a crease.

I don’t know if your MacBook needs a display cable replacement or just a simple fix like I did. If you do need a replacement, IFIXIT sells one for around $25 here.

MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Touch Bar, Late 2016-2017) Display Cable Image

Product

MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Touch Bar, Late 2016-2017) Display Cable

$24.99

Hello Ghazali,

I have visited the Apple Store for this issue, and their suggestion is replacing the display. The black bar got worse by time, now both at the bottom and the top, and if I use my computer for hours, the whole screen goes messed up.

I'd love to try your suggestion, is it easy to change that cable ?

I believe it's not that simple, but it's not rocket science. The motherboard does need removing due to the part of the cable that's connected to the motherboard being located behind it (from the fixer's perspective). There are videos on YouTube that show the steps to taking apart a MacBook Pro. Pause it in just the part after the guy successfully removed the motherboard. Watch the video backward if you got stuck in putting it back together. Note that the part of the display cable that's connected to the body has to be unplugged first. If this is your first time taking apart a Mac, be sure to use the correct screwdriver (size and type) and screw and unscrew them correctly to avoid stripping the screw head (been there before, cost me additional cash to get new ones).

Is it worth all the hassle? Yes—very much.

Hi Ghazali,

How do you fix the position of the cable? Could you detail it step-by-step? Thank you.

To fix the cable position (according to what I did), just open the bottom lid and remove the two brackets holding the cable. After that you can freely reposition the bends on the cable. Just fixing the position on the cable doesn't require you to take off the motherboard. I believe you should try this before deciding to buy a replacement.

Note that the lines on your screen may not be because of the same reason as mine (which is the display cable). It may me because of an overheating T-Con board as many people has pointed out.

If you're inexperienced, make sure you use the exact screwdriver for the screw, you hold the screwdriver up straight (90 degrees), and you don't put the screw back on too hard. You may strip them like I did in my first time.

Please explain more fully about the "warranty exception" This "bug" sounds like it is totally of Apple's making. I have this problem also and was told by tech support I would need to send it to an Apple service center, (as I am too remote on the island of Molokai, Hawaii to take it too an Apple store), with $500(!!) up-front, none of which would probably get credited back to me. My MacBook Air isn't even 4 years old, and I very painfully paid a bundle for it. I had my previous Dell desktop for nearly 10(!!) years. It had its problems here and there, but especially by allowing me to extend my service contract 3 times over, I was able to keep it going for that long of a time. This is my first Apple product---and it could very well be my last☹️.

To start with you appear to have a MacBook Air not a MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar system. So your issue while likely the same still is different as your system is much older - four years? Vs this system which is around a year old. So I doubt Apple would even offer warranty for it in any case.

Being in beautiful Hawaii does have its drawbacks, it is often humid and a fair amount of rain and it can be very hot! These environmental aspects is hard on computer gear!

While I understand your anger I don't see Apple offering much here other than replacing the display assembly as a standard repair.

I had a similar problem however the lines were appearing at the top. However I noticed a few things it started happening on my MacBook Pro 2017 13” model after the Mojave update also it only happens when I have a black color themed application or a movie with black bars at the top and bottom is played for existing amount of time.

The solution I found was shut down the Mac for about an hour or switch to an application which has a complete white or any other color Interface for about an hour then it slowly goes away. Further, I took a screenshot shot on that the normal color apprears. It's an interesting issue.

I am not sure what the underlying cause is I have a feeling it could be something to do with both hardware and software.

brother i have same problem at top of the screen from yesterday. same model as yours pro 13" 2017. but what should i do? it appears after 15mins of using my macbook..and then i sleep it for 5 mins,, then again everything ok when i turn it on.. but after 15mins it again disturbs

Same problem here with 2017 13" MacBook pro. Never exposed to heat, always sitting on my desk, under roof. Does it get any worse?

I was asked for 450$+taxes for a replacement at the Apple store today and it is hard to believe it is user error. It's been less than 2 yrs, and it is sure to say that Apple is now making and selling trash.

how to fix this issue ? Any idea ?

It seems changing the screen is the only solution (and a very expensive one). I cleaned the fan, installed TG pro but didn't help. It disappears when shut down, and comes back in 5 mins after starting it.

So I had the exact same problem on my 2016 15” macbook pro and got it fixed for free.

If it was a 13” it would be covered by the https://support.apple.com/en-gb/13-inch-... , if not read the rest of this.

In my case i started noticing this within one month of the repair of my keyboard under the https://support.apple.com/en-gb/keyboard...

So, I went back to the mac service partner, said it started to appear after the repair, and they repaired it under the 3 months warranty given by the keyboard repair!

I’m almost sure you already experienced sticky keys on your keyboard or double typing of some keys, if you didn’t it will happen soon, and i think they will only repair it within 4 years from the purchase date (btw i bought my Macbook pro second handed in Malaysia and i don’t have the proof of purchase but it was serviced without problems in Portugal).

What i suggest if you do not have warranty is to go to a service center and complain first about the keyboard.

They will replace it under the Keyboard Service Program available for several macbooks and after some time go back and complain about the screen and see what happens!

PS with my keyboard replacement i also got a new battery as it is glued to the top case :D

I have the exact same problem on a late 2016 Macbook pro 15” touch bar but only after it went to replace the keyboard!

I think it gets worse if you use a dark theme app

Hey, that reference to the dark theme is curious. Just change my dark theme to dark 3days ago and the stripe started to be more visible.

I thought the dark theme would heat less/loose less energy... but I guess it heats more then

Any other thoughts on this?

Install fan mac control, and this issue is gone !!!

Muhammad Taufik: My problem has been getting progressively worse, it began to show up about 3 months ago. I installed Mac Fan speed control yesterday and made a custom setting to keep the graphics card sensor cool. What custom setting if any did you use to make the problem go away?

@stillwater21 - You shouldn't need to use a third party fan control app. But it might help you identify the cause!

Max the fan out did the bar disappear? If not then you have a failed T-CON board. If it did then you may want to open the system up and clean the dust within the fans and heat sink so the systems cooling is more effective.

Lastly make sure you don't block the air vents! Both the side and rear areas. Not suffocating the system of its needed airflow is also important!

Thanks Dan. FYI, it is a mid-2017 13".

With mine the bar at the bottom begins as gray and later becomes completely black. It has gotten as high as 2 inches above the bottom. Maxing out the fans does not make it go away. Turning it off for several hours does make it disappear, but as time goes by each time I turn it back on the bars come back sooner, and go higher, esp. when used for hours at a time.

Where are the main vents located, so I can monitor whether I usually am blocking them or not? It typically sits on my lap while in use, not on a desk and it possible I have been blocking the vents too much. It has been running quite hot. I will pay more attention to temps now of course. I do live in Costa Rica where ambient temps in the house are in the 90's most of the time (we keep the fans on rather than use the A/C).

One last question: I have installed full clad covers on the machine, also screen, keyboard, and trackpad covers/protectors. Do any of those affect airflow? Thanks.

Fan mac control didn't help me much, I cleaned my already super clean fans as well but those black bars are getting worse, it even messes the whole display after a couple of hours.

Has anyone received any happy/satisfying explanation from Apple about this issue?

I have the exact same issue and I can’t get it repaired at the moment. Does anyone know what will happen if I just let it be? Will the monitor eventually just burn out?

It really doesn't matter, you need to replace the assembly anyway so you can use your system until you can't see any image. If you are handy it's not that difficult a task to replace the part on your own. Review this guide: MacBook Pro 13" Touch Bar 2017 Screen Replacement

Got the same issue. Good thing I have AppleCare. Bringing it to the service center to get it repaired. I believe it is caused by overheating. I play guitar and just started to use MainStage 3 and Logic Pro. These applications run the CPU hard enough for heat build up.

This really puts a damper on playing music. Was really promising but with this, it’s back to a real amp and pedals.

Tony will be eternally grateful.