Replacement heatsink hold-down pins?

I need replacement heatsink hold-down pins (spring loaded plastic pins) for the CPU heatsink on my A1176. On the second CPU upgrade the one-way ends (under the logic board) snapped off two pins despite careful handling.

I don't want to buy a whole $100 dysfunctional mini on eBay just to get heatsink pins! I came up empty with Digi-Key and other component suppliers. Anyone have any ideas?

Others have had the same problem and the solution they found was to use nylon screws, washers and nuts in the place of the pins.

They discovered that a one inch 4-40 nylon screw was the correct size to replace the pin. In fact, they say they have replaced all four pins with these nylon screws. You need to trim the screws using a pin as a guide for length and allow for the washer. Hope this helps. Ralph

That's an excellent suggestion, thanks. Though I'm a little worried about the performance of the nylon screws under constant load -- is there some reason to not use metal?

Possibility of shorting something. Ralph

McMaster Carr part numbers:

3/4" 4-40 white nylon screw: 93135A278

4-40 white nylon hex nut: 94812A200

Bear in mind this is for 100 of each. Approximate cost for both $11 USD.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting the part numbers. I ordered them and they fit perfectly,

Awesome! Glad that helped.

McMaster-Carr sells nylon socket-head cap screws in 4-40 and a huge variety of lengths. Measuring from under the head of the original nylon pin to the bottom of the solid portion gives exactly 11/16, while I get 25/32 to the bottom of the pointed one-way part below the solid part. So 11/16 or 3/4 should be the correct length. With a cap screw no washer *should* be necessary -- I guess I'll find out!

I've ordered a couple of bags and when I get it set up just right I'll post the part numbers here.

Did you ever get the part numbers?

Thanos

Since the resurrected motherboard I have is going into a cube case and was missing the original heat sink, this alternate was held in place with zip ties.

I just used small zip ties about 3-4 inches long. Ran one down from the top then back up from the bottom... and used a second one to bridge across. Add two more for the other set of holes. Not spring loaded, but holds it on there with no problem.

Thor Simon will be eternally grateful.