Fourth generation wireless keyboard made by Apple. Released in October 2015. Model A1644.

Certain keystrokes producing multiple characters

My keyboard has started malfunctioning where every time I press certain keys, I get two characters instead of the single character it ought to be. Here are the character sets being affected

For example, when I press '5', it produces '56', and the same when I press '6'. It too produces '56'. Same for the whole list above.

Note too the apparent pattern down the keyboard with the '56', 'ty', 'gh', and 'bn' combos.

I've checked battery level. It's nearly full charge. I've tried using while plugged in and charging. I've tried gently lifting affected keys and blowing out any possible dust, particles, etc. None of this has helped.

Have you checked your keyboard settings to see if there is a replacement set for those keys? It seems strange that both 5 and 6 will change to 56. Some people will add replacements like this as a prank, so check in the "Text" tab of the "Keyboard" section of system preferences.

Also, have you tried the keyboard on another device, and if so, did the problem persist?

geoffhusa will be eternally grateful.