Why is it rebooting and only turning on when on the charger

I just got the guts to try and revive this phone it would always reboot and turn off when disconnected with the charger I’m going to try a new battery and screen I believe I had pry damage that was the reason why? But just seeing if anyone can confirm this and how can I fix it

@djholley yes you do want to start with a new battery. Take a good look at the board once you have the phone apart to double check for pry-damage. Possible but not an exclusive cause. Follow the guides from here iPhone 5 Repair for the repair and get the parts from here as well. You may get parts cheaper somewhere else but definitely not better than at iFixit ;-)

iPhone 5 Replacement Battery

iPhone 5 LCD Screen and Digitizer Full Assembly

iPhone 5 Replacement Battery Image
iPhone 5 LCD Screen and Digitizer Full Assembly Image

dj holley will be eternally grateful.