0

Sydney Meyer
11

Can we replace/clean the Fans?

As of the other macs and macbook the fans get dusty so that the machine cant cool down itself anymore.

Can we replace or clean the fan of the first generation 27'' iMacs?

Where could we buy fans for this model?

Has somebody, apart from the apple stores, done this?

What would be necessary to do this?

Edited by: Walter Galan ( ) , Sydney Meyer ( )

Why do you think you need to clean the fans?

mayer,

because the macs get pretty hot even under low load. the fans start working harder and harder. and you could feel almost no airfow anymore.

Sydney Meyer,

2

Skippy722
3k

You could, but I don't know whether or not that would void your warranty... If you have a warranty on it I'd take it in and say the machine is running too hot and needs to be cleaned. I don't know where you would be able to buy the fans for it, as I couldn't locate any.... If you really want you *could* do it yourself, it's just like cleaning the dust out of any normal PC

thanks skippy, i think i give the cleaning it myself method a shot, read a few time now that this could help.. if it doesn't work out, i have to look further, because, obviously every time ##@! hits the fan, i have no warranty anymore.. but thanks anyway and your probably right.. a mac is a computer like every other too, no rocket science, i hope.

Sydney Meyer,

Keep yourself grounded, to prevent static, and when you clean the fans, hold them so they don't move (if you're using compressed air or that air in a can stuff). Just a friendly reminder, and I'm assuming you already know how to open that beast up?

Skippy722,

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

I just set up a brand new one and it gets pretty hot. After feeling your machine, go down to Best Buy and feeI theirs. I would be more concerned as to where it's getting hot. If it gets hot on the upper portion of the back of the screen, I feel this is normal. Look at the teardown of the machine, the position of the hard drive and processor. If it gets hot in those areas I would be concerned. After only a year of use it's hard to imagine that it would need cleaning out. If you have the suction cups to remove the outer glass, you can unscrew the screen and peek inside at the fan without having to remove any cables. The dirtiest machines come from homes that leave the computer on and get vacuumed a lot. The vacuum cleaner kicks dust up into the air and the computer sucks it in.

Heavy-Duty Suction Cups (Pair)

Heavy-Duty Suction Cups (Pair)

Two 2.25" diameter suction cups used for lifting display glass off Aluminum iMacs. A must-have tool when repairing or replacing broken, cracked, or shattered iMac screens. — 50+ available at 14.95 each.