Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

Replace logic board or buy new MacBook Pro?

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 15in and it has that GPU panic issue. I took it to Apple care and they said the only way to fix it was to replace the logic board, which is £600. A new MacBook Pro 2015 15in today is £1,749.

If I replace the logic board, is there any chance that this GPU panic issue will come back?

So here is my dilemma: Have the logic board replaced OR buy a new MacBook that is £1,149 more expensive than having the logic board replaced?

What do you guys think is worthy?

In my opinion it should have been included in both the class action law suit and ensuing

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

I wouldn't take it to Apple for the repair as the problem was theirs in the first place but they were so unethical as to not admit it or fix it. Of course they say they know exactly what it is. Why would you trust these guys with doing the repair? They don't plan to fix it but sell you a new logic board and the labor and charge you through the nose for it. That'll fix it even if it is just a $1.00 fuse and they don't have to even think to do it. And your warranty? 60 days. What a peachy deal! Then in2018 they're going to tell you its a "legacy machine" and they aren't allowed to even work on it.

First let's not trust what Apple told you as far as what's wrong with it. Did you get it writing? Did they charge you for the diagnostic? What exactly did they say failed and why did it fail?

Let's do our own diagnostic. Please tell us what is happening with it.

UPDATE

It's Apple Part # 661-6491

Here's how to install it:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 Logic Board Replacement

The problem is that because of supply and demand (so many failures of their board) they are in short supply.

I'll do some research on this today to see if I can find a competent company that will do a repair on this board and replacement of the chip. This best person to look at will be Louis Rossman. I'll get back to you.

The MacBook was completely dead, it wasn't switching on at all. I took it to Apple care, they ran a test on it and discovered that it's a GPU Panic issue. So they sent me the quote with a diagnostic included. The diagnostic stated that it's a GPU panic issue. For the Mid 2012 models, the GPU, as far as I am aware, is attached on the logic board and the only way to have it working again is to replace the logic board. They also said that the replacement program was ended in December, 2016 :(

Bruno will be eternally grateful.