Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

Cant install MacOS High Sierra BETA on RAID 0 SSD setup

MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2012 2.6GHz A1286

Why Can't install MacOS High Sierra BETA on RAID 0 SSD setup ???

Here's my MacBook config:

Pretty impressive config! Max RAM & 4 TB RAID'ed SSD of storage!

Here's the full run down on the systems specs: MacBook Pro 15" i7" 2.6 GHz (Mid-2012) - MacBookPro9,1

@danj Is he going to run into problems setting up a RAID with that 2TB EVO being formatted MS-DOS FAT32?

@mayer - Are you looking at the very bottom EFI volume? Thats MS-DOS FAT32 for compatibility with Intel's EFI code. Note the size is 210 MB not 2 TB.

sorry guys im kinda lost and im still noob in this thing...mind to explain?

I had a thought! If you have a full backup lets give this a try:

High Sierra offers a new file system APFS which is better for SSD's. It also could be the answer here. But, to get there we'll need to break the drive set so you can reformat the drives with APFS. Once you get both drives redone using an external boot drive go into Core Storage command line to recreate the RAID set. Then do an OS install. That should do it.

Just remember! As @mayer stated this shouldn't be your primary system. As if this fails you'll need to roll things back!

maybe i can try that ...already back up/cloned my primary raid drives on 2 units 4tb external hdd & 1tb external hdd which i already cloned & install High Sierra Public Beta 3...

Just tried this with 10.13 beta 5. Still getting "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install

Most Helpful Answer

Probably a bug in it. That's what betas are for is to find these bugs and report them before a general release. See if there is an APP in your utility folder for reporting it to Apple. I also highly advise not using a beta version on anything other than a secondary drive - never replace your primary system with a BETA VERSION!

khaidir77 - Did you post a beta report? If you haven't you need to so it gets visibility! This is the type of testing Apple fails to do fully as they just don't see what the heavy weight pro's do in pushing their laptops!

You might also make note on why you need a large RAID 0. I'm guessing you're doing video editing in the field.

I've posted a bug report on 07/15/2017 but I have not been asked for any additional information.

I seldom got a response to a bug report. I think they let them pile up and take care of the most reported bugs first.

Tried this on Beta 5. Created an APFS RAID 0; started the install; error off with "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install."

khaidir77 will be eternally grateful.