MacBook Core Duo

Mid 2006 / model number A1181 / black or white case / 1.83 or 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor.

Optical Combo Drive Variation

I want to replace the Optical drive in my 1.83 duo Core Macbook 1,1 machine. I understand it to be a APAPI Matshita CD-RW CW-8221 drive. But when I look it up for replacements I see CW-8221-A and CW-8221-C drives. Are these compatible?

Any number of drives will work for you. What's important is the 9.5 mm height. I even use drives out of the iMac G5 machines because they are plentiful. There are variations in speed and DVD write abilities. Here's some that iFixit sells:

MacBook/MacBook Pro 15" 6x SuperDrive

MacBook/MacBook Pro 15" 6x SuperDrive

MacBook/MacBook Pro 15" 8x SuperDrive

MacBook/MacBook Pro 15" 8x SuperDrive

MacBook 8x SuperDrive (Used)

MacBook 8x SuperDrive

Combo drives and Superdrives are significantly different. You'll often see Combo drives referred to as DVD/CD-RW drives in the Windows world; that's to tell you that it can only read one format, but can read and write the other. Superdrives are usually DVD-R or DVD-RW drives in conventional terminology.

bill will be eternally grateful.