Model A1419 / EMC 3070 / Mid 2017 / 3.4, 3.5 or 3.8 GHz Core i5 or 4.2 GHz Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor / Retina 5K display

The New iMac 27" 2017 model can upgrade ram and ssd?

Hi, just wondering the new iMac 27" 2017 model can easy upgrade the ram and ssd hard drive? Think the get the lowest specs and upgrade myself. Got any issue from fusion drive to SSD? Thanks for advice.

But the main point I need the OS & software run it faster instead of need a largest storage. Just wondering is easy to change it to SSD if the specs is Fusion Drive not. Or get the SSD specs is better, so if need to upgrade in future is still feasible.

Sorry Simon didn't see your post.

Then you want the largest PCIe SSD model you can afford. It will be the fastest! Great for running your OS & App's and hosting the OS & Apps cache & paging files. Then use an external Thunderbolt HD or install your own internal SATA drive (dual drive config).

While a Fusion Drive is in truth a dual drive setup, Apple does not offer a very large SSD so it may not offer the speed you are looking for and even if you broke the Fusion Drive set to be discreet drives you might find the limited space of the SSD won't be enough to hold your OS, Apps as well as what the OS & Apps need for cache & page files.

Thanks Dan!! Appreciate your reply and the answer is helpful :)

The new 27" iMac's do have the same access door in the back as the last model, as seen here: iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display RAM Replacement.

Upgrading the PCIe SSD requires almost completely tearing down the system as seen here: iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display SSD Replacement. So far we don't know if you buy a HDD mode only if the PCIe SSD slot and the sundry parts are even present as Apple has in the past has not populated the logic board. This is the case in the 21.5" model as you can see here in the IFIXIT teardown:: iMac Intel 21.5" Retina 4K Display 2017 Teardown

So I would recommend you get the PCIe SSD based system and I also recommend you get the largest SSD you can get as Apple is still the only source for their custom SSD..

Then if you want to add more storage (HDD or SSD). You can then add in the SATA drive later.

Just keep in mind these 'Thin Series' systems are a bear to open so make sure you follow the IFIXIT guides to the letter and use the correct tools as you can easily damage the display in the process of taking the display assembly off which would be a very expensive opps!

The term 'Hard Drive' is passé, instead we use terms HDD or HD for the older traditional spinning disk drives or SSD for the solid state drives. If you don't know which then just use the term 'drive'.

So yes, its best to get the SSD only model or the Fusion Drive model which has both a HDD and SSD fused together as one logical volume (two drives seen as one).

As to the PCIe SSD its self, Apple does not sell it as spare (only as an exchange of the same size) and the parts houses which buy compete systems and tear them apart for the parts charge premium prices! So get the largest PCIe SSD you can afford now.

As I stated if you got the PCIe SSD only system you would still have a spare SATA drive bay (3.5" is what we expect here until IFIXIT does the teardown to verify) which will allow you to add in your own drive which could be a HDD or SSD. But! It's still a bit of work as you'll need to get the proper SATA/Power cable harness from Apple and as you are putting your own drive in you'll need this: OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor for Hard Drive Upgrade for 27" iMacs 2012 and Later as unlike the custom Apple HD drives you need to add in a thermal sensor for the system to work properly.

If you get a Fusion Drive'd model you will have a dual drive system so you would need to swap out the SATA drive to a larger one if that was your direction later on.

Frankly, Apple is really making it harder to do any drive upgrades these days with the 'Thin Series' iMac's. If you can, get what you want now for drive storage.

Given the risks of damage and the amount of work to even get into the system it's not something I recommend for someone who has not opened one of these newer 'Thin Series' systems before.

Thanks for advice! So if I place order is better to get the SSD hard drive instead of fusion drive right? By the way, as you mention you recommended to get the largest SSD from Apple, so is better like don't upgrade ourself? The upgrade SSD price from Apple is reasonable?

Correct get the SSD only model and get the largest SSD you can afford now.

Apple's SSD is custom and very expensive if you try getting one on the open market as they can only be gotten from a parts system. Don't even think of doing the blade SSD upgrade later its just not worth the risks. I wouldn't waste my money buying q the Fusion Drive system either as the you'll end up with a very small blade SSD (128 GB) the straight PCIe NVMe blade SSD will give you much better performance.

If you need gobs of storage go with an external Thunderbolt RAID 0 drive it will be faster than the internal SATA III HD. While adding a HD is possible, I would wait till the warranty period has ended as Apple has refused servicing systems which are not factory. Then if you really want an internal drive do it then. I think you'll find the external RAID drive will be superior.

Just for the record, I got the 27in with the 512GB SSD and it is blazing fast (think NVMe speeds). I would recommend the SSD over the Fusion Drive as you can't (or shouldn't due to Apple Care concerns) upgrade the internal system drive after purchase.

Thanks Jack!!

Agreed! A straight SSD model is faster than a Fusion Drive model.

At this point its easier to just buy an external 4tb drive and just use that via Thunderbolt 3 than go thru the hassle to upgrade the HDD.

Up to a point I do agree with you!

Sadly, a traditional SATA III HD within a TB3 enclosure won't be as fast as the PCIe mounted SSD. You would need to RAID the drives and ideally you would want SSD's in the external enclosure.

So having the internal SSD hosting your OS, Apps and cache/paging files, then have your RAID'ed external drive for your bulky data makes the best sense! That way you leverage the best storage by usage.

I'm sorry...I don't speak english very well and If I understand well, for a future upgrade, it is better to buy the SSD version instead of the one with FusionDrive. Right?

Just like Simon:

Get the SSD only model and get the largest SSD you can afford now.

If you need gobs of storage go with an external Thunderbolt RAID 0 drive it will be faster than the internal SATA III HD. While adding a HD is possible, I would wait till the warranty period has ended as Apple has refused servicing systems which are not factory.

Hi Dan. I just wanted to ask, if i buy the fusion drive model, can i add a SSD later on? I mean does 2017 Imac support double disk drives? In this particular case an SSD plus a Fusion drive?

I don't think is work. should be can put 1 HD in iMac only. If you planning to upgrade SSD, follow the public answer you should get a SSD version instead of Fusion drive. And received a news from Mac rumors the New Apple File System Coming in macOS High Sierra Won't Work With Fusion Drives too

@fabulous no one is genius here especially got a idiot scolded people stupid.

So, as I see this, could be synonymous but a Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB, M.2 function. It also has PCIe 3.0 x4 and NVMe memory. It is extremely fast and inexpensive. Am I wrong?

Sorry @dukemax - While the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 drive is a great drive, it won't fit into the custom Apple SSD connector. Your only choice presently is using an Apple PCIe NVMe x4 blade SSD or install a slower SATA III (6.0 Gb/s) 2.5" SSD replacing the HDD.

Agree with getting an Apple SSD to start, it's the fastest. The SSD in the Fusion drives is NOT as fast as the SSD only models. I have a late 2013 model that started as Fusion, replaced the HD with SSD myself, not much difference in speed gain at all. The PCIe/NVMe connection is a game changer in speed.

Just ordered a loaded 2017 iMac, except I will be adding the RAM myself. This one has the 1TB Apple SSD and NO Fusion this time.

From personal experience and my buddy's iMac:

Mine is a loaded late '13 27" iMac....I installed a Crucial 2TB SSD.....i7 3.5 and 32 GB RAM.

My buddy has a refurbished late 2015 27" iMac, i5 3.2 and 16 GB RAM.

I use a lot of Lightroom, Photoshop & FinalCut Pro daily for work. Tested a bunch of stuff on his and it's faster than mine without lag. For example, in Lightroom, 8 large RAW images export to Photoshop in exactly 1/2 the time on his than mine. On the Black Magic test, his is 3 times faster than mine. In practice, his is twice as fast and adjustments in Lightroom happen in real time instead of a second or two lag.

So true! It's the drives I/O that's the killer when working on large projects like RAW images. RAM is important too here.

Simon Yong will be eternally grateful.