A1708 / EMC 2978 — Released October 2016, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar). The function key version packs an Intel Core i5 and two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Keyboard 'B' key double hit problem

I recently got a new Macbbook Pro. Problbem is what you're exactly seeing here and it's specific to the bb key.

I touch it once and it puts two b characters for me most of the time, but not always. This key is much looser and more sensitive than the others.

Any ideas?

———

Suggested by @pydev, I removed the key cap. It does work flawlessly without the key cap. But when I put it back, same old story.

Have you spilled anything on it or has it has an impact?

No, not at all @mayer.

I'm experiencing this issue as well!

I'm experiencing this very thing. I noticed that when I tested it out in Microsoft word, I just typed in B again and again until it doubled.

I tried to press the button with the same intensity each time, and sure enough, after the 3rd try b bb << (Second attempt there) it automatically populated as double-b... I'm not sure how to explain this in CPU terms. But it seems to be a key that is out of whack in general throughout the OS.

Would love to hear if there's a solution and how customers can update our CPU's.

Cheers,

thomasbunn - You'll need to bring your system in to an Apple Store for them to replace the keyboard. There is a known issue within the first gen units.

As far as upgrading the CPU sorry guy no can do! Apple uses soldered CPU's & RAM in all of their current laptops, you can't swap it out.

Most Helpful Answer

Try removing the key , checking the bb typo without it and if thats ok add it carefully and try again

Now that I removed the key cap, it has no problem; see: b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b

Thanks for the giving me the clue.

I am exactly having same issue with 'b' key for past 2days. I am using macbbookpro 15'inch with touch bar.

I took phone support and they asked me to perform some test like nvram.. etc

Then he said it might bbbe hardware issue.. Asked me to take to service centre.

P.S: While I type my reply here.. few double entry came. I didn't correct it purposefully.

Ah, weird that it's the bb key for you, too! That'd be organized conspiracy!

I'm currently living in a US-sactioned country; Iran and thus I don't have easy access to Apple service center. Please do me a favor and update me about the results, if you decided to go down that way.

I googled and found many people facing similar issue. Apple have replaced their keyboard's logic board.

I have apple care covered for 3years.. So I planned to visit the service center in 10days. Will surely update the status here.

I am experiencing this issue as well, it is not all the time but every now and then, so freakin' annoying! Why the B key in particular?

I gave my macbookpro for service and i will be getting it back in 2 or 3 days. Then i will post more information.

@ Johan Lindqvist : This issue exist since they launch the new macbookpro 2016.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/...

I also had this problem same key "b", but by busting big B button beyond abode button behavior be back! i.e. I removed the button and then replaced it. It didn't seem dirty. Must have been out of alignment or something.

I had the same problem. Brought to the Apple Store, they ran a software diagnosis after hearing complaint (I also had problems w/ space bar being "dead" and the f&w keys not working intermittently), they found an additional problem w/ the right shift key linked to up arrow so they took it as it is under apple care ( thank goodness as it otherwise would have been out of warrantee). Receipt claimed $800 "flat fee" for parts (covered by warranty) and 100 for labor(also covered)?

I'll write back when it is returned....

P.s. They said it was a good thing I didn't try to remove keys to clean, I gave them crap for issuing keyboards that were not user maintainable unlike every other keyboard on the planet, that just made him uncomfortable....

Have you all done the new update? I know the new Update fixed a lot of problems with that. Also might want to try a can of air and try to blow out under the button. sounds like it is a keyboard problem many people are having. Keep eyes open for a recall.

Go to the Apple Store its a free repair

I have the same issue as well. I got my b char typed double, but it is not always. Somehow if I try to focus on typing the sentence the b is not double. But when I just type as usual it will be keep in double.

Here I am trying to type:

bb b b b b b b b b b b bb b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b bb b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b

So as you can see the double b typed 3 times.

You'll need to visit an AppleStore to get this repaired.

Did you get your system repair? Its a free repair!

No, I think it will take a week or so to get it repaired. I am still using it for work.

Has anyone tried to repair it? How long it takes?

Best to visit them ASAP so you get it noted, you don't want to loose out on the warranty coverage.

Even if you don't leave it that day they will be able to give you an idea how long. Different service centers have different times, so what I get may not be what you get.

I went to apple store today with my problem, and I got a new computer for warranty.

I'm havinng the same issue but with "N" Key ... wich is nnext to B. Have you received any response from Apple about a defect in the keyboard specifically in that area?

Apple has a extended warranty for keyboard issues. You'll need to visit an Apple Store to get the system repaired. Its a free repair!

Oh thanks for your answer Dan! I'll visit the store.

I got my keyboard replaced under warranty.

Sepehr Lajevardi will be eternally grateful.