The Xbox 7MN-0001 Wireless Controller, was manufactured by Microsoft Corporation. It is the first generation Xbox One controller released, but has since been discontinued. This controller has since been superseded by Models 1697/1698 and Model 1708. While this controller is commonly used with the Xbox One, it can also be used for PC gaming.

My right joystick is slightly moving up

I've recently bought this used controller, everything else but my right analog stick is fine.It must've been dropped that the stick has to be pulled up if pressed down. While it's stuck down my game is slightly moving up (Example: while the thumbstick is stuck in place, as I'm playing a first-person shooter, the character starts to look up.) Anyone know if I either have to change the thumbstick or there's something inside that's broken?

I have the exact same problem, but I don’t know how to fix it

-TheEight

i have this problem too on both sticks

This will not Void the warranty. Opening the controler WILL. Best thing is get several Q-Tips and alcohol. Soak in AL then push down in the opening of the JS. Do it several times and getting that alcohol in there. Move your JS back and for a lot. Repeat. Keep doing that for about 4-5 Q-Tips . Remembering to move the JS all around right after the AL goes into the JS. Alcohol evaporates quickly, so let air dry for a little bit and that should help. If it doesn't, but it is better, then do it all over again until it fixes it. If it doesn't help at all you will either need a new controller or to open up the control and cleaning and fixing that way. But, opening the control Voids warranties. So if still under warranty, do not open. ASK FOR replacement. Hope this helps.

Do you think nail polish remover would work to?

Every controller stick has what's called a "dead zone" and that's the area that the controllers position is registered as 0, or no movement.

Over time and with use, the sticks idle position will drift out of the dead zone, an indicator of this is if it seems loose and moves easily, and will seem to move position on it's own because the hardware detects the stick is out of the dead zone.

There are all kinds of novel solutions, like super gluing elastic bands to the inside to counter the drift and hitting them straight down with a hammer... I don't recommend.

Unfortunately, the only real solution is to replace the stick and it's board level hardware, you'll need a soldering iron.

Fortunately, they're quite cheap I couldn't recommend this particular product because I've never bought one myself, and I reckon you could shop around and get a bargain somewhere.

well i just smashed it in with the handle of a screwdriver and that worked

Did it really work?

to complicated... my head hurts :(

I used my hand. Actually works.

I purchased from Mouser (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/688...). The coloring is different and there are tiny little plastic nubs on the bottom that prevent the assembly from sitting flush. Clip off the nubs, solder the new one in place and the controller works again. I found that downloading the "Game Controller Tester" from the Microsoft app store was helpful as well to test the dead zone. On mine, the pot which had the problem had score marks for some reason on the resistive track inside that caused the controller to drift up. Not sure what caused it, but now I have 4 more replacements when my other controllers go bad. Smashing with hammers or screwdrivers would not replace the missing resistive inside the pot. Find a friend that knows how to desolder and solder. It's an easy through hole replacement. You also need a T8 security Torx bit, which comes in the ifixit precision 64 bit screwdriver set.

I went to my device and accessories settings and tapped on "configure controller" and swapped sticks then swapped them back to normal and it seemed to work just fine for me. I'm guessing the system needed to refresh it's memory and detect the right controls when reconfiguring the controller and setting it back to normal.

Thanks that worked for me

Worked for me as well. Thx man.

wow! thnx man! :D

This is a common issue with the joysticks on the controllers. Over time and from use there is a little clip in there that wears down and you start to get stick drift. I have it on 2 different ones, only both are in the left stick for me. Always upwards though.

There are some supposed ways to try to fix this posted online, but none of them fixed mine (anything from pressing hard and moving in full circles to alcohol & cotton swabs to remove oils & dirt - none of which solve the underlying problem).

You can try to take the controller apart with a T-8 bit and spudger and see if anything is broken, but it may or may not be something you want ot get into.

you can check to see if this works. im going to try it tonight with my controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moEjjFJI...

Here’s a simple solution.

https://youtu.be/_LePBsn3vkA

Booce Biggings will be eternally grateful.