Released September 16, 2016. Models A1661, A1784, and A1785. Available in 32, 128, or 256 GB configurations in Rose gold, gold, silver, black, jet black, and (Product)Red.

Earpiece does not work after screen replacement

After replacing the screen on my customers iPhone 7 plus everything appear to be working except form the earpiece (When making phone calls I can not hear anyone). I have checked the camera flex and it is in perfect condition with n o sign of damage.

I have reset the settings already. I am in the process of backing up and restoring the phone.

The customers is in urgent need on this phone so any help would be great :)

I have also same problem earpiece stop working after replaced screen any one fix this problem plz update

New front cam. There's fragile IC chips on the front cam flex. It was probably damaged when you took it off the old screen.

We've already tried cam flex, not the issue

any update? I am also having same issue. Tried using new flex cable and new ear piece speaker, does not seem to work at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Having the same issue with a customer. He is the worst, a refrigerator repair guy that thinks a phone is the same a fridge.

We have done 5 of them all the same problem

Do you see the little black square near the ear speaker hole? (Well it's supposed to stay on the prox sensor). On the 7+ for whatever reason it stays stuck to the screen most of the time. It must be transferred over or you will end up with problems as the prox is shorting out. We beat are head against the wall for weeks over this issue and finally this so simple answer, that we were missing solved our problems.

do you mean black double side tape on the left? i am not sure if this is it. i have it on the proxy flex all the time

double sidetape which is next to earpiece rubber? that tape is supposed to be on the cable?

Thanks for the solution but i did take that little square to the new screen and i did change flex cabel and new earpiece and still the same issue

Yes we had massive issues and once we realized we were missing that piece of tape we haven't had another single issue.

Had another issue today, thought we had solved the problem but now not so sure. Hard to say if these are just super fragile or if it's something else. I'm about to just build in the cost of a new prox to the cost of the repair.

Most Helpful Answer

Funny solution. I was !#^&@@ of as it was not working do i came back to it a couple days later and it was working so i rebuild and sealed and it stopped working. then disconnected battery then reconnected now working agian.

This customer came back after 3 months saying no ear peice !

I got some kapton tape as did not have the old screen to hand and put it where the black tape should be (as expalined in the chosen answer above) and now it is all working as should.

OK, just going to post a full answer because we have a piecemeal selection and it is all partly correct. The first time we ran across the problem was when the phone first came out. We did a screen repair but the tech couldn't get the ear speaker to work. Ordered a new ear speaker and new flex cable but same problem with multiple parts. So we slapped the broken screen back on, had the customer remove the icloud, and drove it up to apple. Well they just swapped the screen out and it worked perfectly. That told us that either apple had put some sort of syncing software like they have with the fingerprint scanner, or it actually was the flex cable. The tech admitted he unplugged the flex before disconnecting the battery, and we spoke to another local store owner who had come across the same problem and reached the same conclusion. So we paid extra attention and didn't have a problem for months. We did come across an issue with a boot loop, and that was fixed when we noticed the square piece of tape was missing. The ear speaker mesh has some metal in it so that accounts for the short that causes the boot loop. Anyway, fast forward to today and I had the same no sound problem with one I repaired. I know that I unplugged the battery first so that was ruled out as a cause. The black adhesive had moved over so that was ruled out as a cause. I tried everything I could think of aside from replacing the flex because I didn't have one. Finally I gave up and decided to disect the flex cable. I heated up the solder and separated the camera side from the prox sensor side. Once I inspected it under the microscope I found that one of the pads from the prox sensor side had torn. The copper in the flex is so microscopic that even a small bend can tear it inside the coating. I think what is confusing people is that they are moving the tape over and when they press it back on it is sticking the circuit back together and it just happens to work (for now). I got a new flex cable from another iphone and put it in and it worked perfectly. The problem is people are getting aftermarket flex cables that aren't soldered together well so sometimes a new flex won't work because it's a faulty flex. We used to have a similar problem with I think the iphone 5 camera flex when it first came out because it was two separate parts soldered together poorly, but eventually they improved and there was no problems after that.

TL;DR version: you damaged the camera flex, dont skimp out on the cheapest replacement part you can get. Buy high quality from a reputable vendor, and if all else fails then just pull one from another iphone.

I've done about 5 of these iPhone 7 Plus' now. Never ran into a problem besides the last one.

After putting the screen back together, customer reported ear speaker not working. I took it out, realigned it, put the flex back in, still nothing. I ended up ordering a flex front camera flex.

I took out the old flex, put in the new flex, and this time, I tried a different technique of inserting the flex connector, similar to the iPhone 6 digitizer flex. If you angle the connector, slightly angled down on the side of the flex cable, and the other side slightly angled up, then press in and connect it, you will get a proper snap in sound. After I turned it on, the ear speaker was working.

For me, i'm not sure if getting a new flex was the answer, or just the connector wasn't being placed down correctly.

On the next 7 Plus that comes in, I am going to test the old flex with my technique, and see if the ear speaker works. I'll report back after some time.

so you test the old flex my friend? i have the same issue i am ordering a new speaker and flex

insulation tape on back of the solder joints and swap over the original earpiece rubber, it seems to have more metal in it, better earth maybe? this solved it.

Did an IPhone 7 plus today. Removed flex cable very carefully and used the little black ear piece rubber that holds speaker in & still nothing. Camera both front and facing work but no audio in earpiece. Took it out 3-4x and tried to realign it to make sure little gold dots were all touching & still no audio. I found it strange that the cameras worked but no audio-this led me to believe the flex cable is perfectly fine. Earpiece worked prior to my repair. I repaired Phone in complete and exact factory repair-I did it it all gentle as I've done 3 IPhone 7 plus before & never had this happen during the swap---and BOOM no audio in ear but touch screen & home button etc all in excellent repair. I cannot figure out why the speaker ear box is out-do these little ear speakers blow out from something ? Or more likely the flex cable or it's just not lined up? I know how to put flex cable on little bumps on screen so I know it's in place..

Anyway I ordered a new flex cable and new speaker box-so we shall see

replace screen all good (ip7 +) except ear speaker was not working. tried new speaker and flex same, tried again same. software 11.0.2, updated to 11.3 still same issue. advised customer of the weird issue and he said he require mobile for an urgent overseas trip and is happy to leave on the new lcd i installed. so i put back together restarted and put customers sim in and it was back to normal and ear speaker working perfectly. we still cannot workout how it started working when customer collected but i suspect apple has a booby trap via software so it has to go back to apple. i may try this as an option with dead home button in future as theirs definetley some trap that prevents an end repair forcing customer back to apple. my 16yrs experience is telling me that theirs more to this in today's tech to make us look bad. today's repairs with issue like this post must be preformed with the thinking outside the repair as its right in front of you. hope this helps.

ACMECO

sagolder will be eternally grateful.