0

rebis
13

Convert Magic mouse to wired?

Is it possible to convert the apple wireless magic mouse to a wired usb type?

1

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

You wireless mouse is worth a lot more than a wired mouse. I would sell it on eBay and get enough to buy three wired mice. Besides, trying to convert this without a degree in electrical engineering would prove very difficult. Even with the degree you might not be able to do it.

1

rebis
13

The point of the exercise is to keep the touch superior sensitive function of the magic mouse, while getting rid of the battery problem and the blue tooth RF. RF is a big problem for increasing numbers of people. The old mighty mouse, which I have gone back to is better than it was. The were problems with the tiny roller ball quitting which seem to have been resolved, but it is no where near as nice to use as the magic mouse, which I have two of. For me the perfect mouse would be a corded magic mouse, my quest continues.............

0

andrew
1

not really

there is a very tight fitting bluetooth interface that would be quite difficult to re purpose to usb

and if you did then have to drill into the aluminum base so the cord could go through.

if your computer has no usb radio, there are usb attachable bluetooth interfaces.

if you were to do this on a non apple computer (almost all of them have bluetooth preinstalled) you would need to search for the drivers online

0

rab777hp

You can certainly try, basically, you're gonna have to take it apart, find the bluetooth board, disconnect the input, then buy a USB board, solder the input to there, and hope that all works.

It's a lot more difficult than it sounds, as mayer said, but if you google around you may find some guides that could help you taking it apart and stuff like that. You may very likely damage the mouse, but good luck anyways.

May I ask why you want to do this though?

0

William Mullaney
1

Everyone is making this way too difficult. The easiest solution would be to keep the bluetooth functionality, and wire a usb cable's power wires into the battery compartment with a regulator or appropriate resistor. If your computer doesn't have bluetooth you can get a dongle for a couple buck on ebay. People have done it with the magic trackpad. Good luck!

0

Timothy Slybo
1

I totally agree with you. The RF is a major problem for me. I have just bought a new iMac and its built to be used with the trackpad which is only available in magic (wireless). I want to do the same with the trackpad, so if anyone has an idea let me know. Money is no object for me, so I'm going to figure it out sooner or later. In the meantime, I suggest you use a top of the range apple laptop and plug into a large monitor. Also, find and delete the bluetooth software as otherwise it keeps turning itself on all the time!...

Good luck brother seeker!

0

Jeff Johnson
1

I've quit using magic mice on my Mac Pro. I just can't get reliable bluetooth function without erratic mouse behavior. I've gone through Express Lane support, two mice and and external USB bluetooth adapter. I'm back to using the good old Logitech Corded multi-button mouse. I love the touch features of the magic mouse. If I could get one with the cord I would buy it in a second.

0

ccallister
1

While I, too, would love it if we had a corded version just so I don't have to switch batteries, I see that many people here are having problems because of bluetooth performance. I thought I would add my experience that I've recently been using several wifi routers with DD-WRT and Tomato firmware on them, and they allow you to enable 'Bluetooth Co-Existence' mode on the wifi router. In at least one example, this solved a problem where my magic mouse's behavior had been terrible until I made that change. Otherwise the mouse has worked great for me in several scenarios. I would love it if someone figured out a hack, though, that fed it power through a USB cable..

0

Stuart
1

Love the trackpad action on the Magic Mouse, but now 4 dead out of 4. Usually mouse movements stop - trackpad function still good.

Usual life 18 to 24 months.

Comeon Apple, give us a reliable Magic. or a wired one, no problem!

Anybody repair Magics?

0

Cristina
1

Since there doesn't seem to be an easy fix, I'm asking Apple to sell a USB wired Magic Mouse! Please join me by signing my petition: https://www.change.org/p/apple-sell-a-wi...

0

Louis
1

I am also looking for a wired magic mouse.

In my quest I found photos of the internal :

Magic Mouse Teardown

You can see the bluetooth chip to replace :

Broadcom PCM2042

This chip is an all integrated HUD bluetooth device from broadcom.

So there could be three solutions :

- there is a test mode on the chip which allows to plug on it wires with a kind of standard format which can be then treated in an arduino configured as hud device for the computer

- remove the chip, and plug the inputs directly to the arduino configured as hud device

- remove the chip, move it to an external case with wires, put a bluetooth receptor to usb in this external case and shield completely the case from HF

I hope this bit of information could serve as motivation for someone.