Model A1181: 1.83, 2, 2.1, 2.13, 2.16, 2.2, or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Display goes dead when lid is opened

When I open the computer lid fully, the display goes out, but works properly when it is closed somewhat, about a 90° angle to the keyboard. I'm assuming that the display ribbon cable is compromised. Is there a manual/teardown that shows the process for troubleshooting/replacing this?

Start with ID Your Mac. Proceed from there.

Remember to return and mark accepted the answer that best solves your problem.

Good luck,

Sounds more like the inverter cable. If you can see a faint image when the display is "out", it's definitely the inverter cable. And the more A1181s like this I deal with, the more I find that the inverter cable isn't even damaged -- it's just crimped under the left hinge cover/bracket. If you remove the bracket (the piece with 3 screws), then shift the inverter cable slightly forward to a better position, chances are you'll be fine. What happens is that over time or due to a bad repair, the inverter cable gets crimped in the hinge, and so moving the hinge causes the display to go "out". Most often, like I mentioned, it just needs to be adjusted, and replacement is unnecessary.

Honestly I can't think of a single time I needed to replace a video cable on an A1181, so looking at that is definitely going the wrong direction.

johnpanning will be eternally grateful.