Model A1225 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2.4, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Weird Display Issues - Graphics Card?

My iMac doesn't boot up completely it plays the startup sound, it takes me to a screen with lines and the apple logo then it takes me to a blue startup screen, it later takes me to a screen with blue boxes and a mouse cursor.

For anyone who helps it is much appreciated!

Most Helpful Answer

First hook it up to an external monitor. If you get the same thing you will know you have a bad GPU card. This can be replaced or reworked with a hot air work station with high expectations of a successful fix.

How would I "rework" the graphics card?

Hey @mayer , could you possibly bake it or use a blow dryer at the high heat setting?

Bake it? If you have something like a $3000 dental lab porcelain oven that has an exact temperature adjustment and know the melting temperature of the solder, yes. If you don't, definitely not!

With a hot air gun you can see exactly when the solder flows and know when to take the heat off to avoid melting all the solders on the board.

A hair dryer could possibly work if you can choke down the output to about the size of a quarter.

The link about gets you a cheap solution, you can use it and then resell it on eBay and maybe it costs you $10 plus shipping.

Hey @mayer I went ahead and used a old toaster oven (since there are toxic chemicals in the chip) and baked it at 385 degrees F for 8 min. and left it to cool for 15 min. I then put it into the iMac, reassembled it and voila it worked! After it siting in my office for about 2-3 years, I had finally brought it back from the dead. It was still on macOS 10.5.8 (aka Leopard), and I had the snow leopard disk so I installed that which gave me access to the Mac App Store to update to El Capitan. I have installed new versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote and Office 2016, everything works great!! I was thinking of replacing the current Airport Extreme card to a newer Broadcom chip with Bluetooth 4.0 LE capabilities and newer 802.11 Wi-Fi modes. This chip also enables Continuity, Handoff, Airdrop, etc. I wanted to ask for your opinion on which card I should get and if it's worth the time. Thank you for your time!

Elias S will be eternally grateful.