Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

Ripped one of the cables on LCD, but what is it exactly?

Hi!

I have disassembled an iPhone 7 but when taking of the screen one of the two flex cables from the lcd screen got ripped. The cable that got ripped runs upwards under the LCD part, to the top. The LCD and touch still work. (fun to know that the LCD and Touch both go through one flex cable). But it disabled the home button from working. I am trying to understand how the part that I broke runs underneath the hood and what I can do to solve it. Can somebody explain it to me with pictures where the cable runs to and how it works?

Most Helpful Answer

Remember the separate home connector cable on the 6 and 6 plus you could replace apart from the screen? This ran from the connector on the board, underneath the metal plate and to the home button flex itself. I'm assuming this is just that. Simply connects your home flex to the board itself.

I've assumed that it was an Touch ID extension cable. I am just curious how it runs underneath the frame. I also can't seem to find a replacement part even though the ribbon cable was very easy to rip. Even Forbes ripped it; http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/...

On iPhone 6s/7, Touch ID cable is built into the 3D Touch panel. There is no way to replace just the cable, backlight plate or entire screen replacement is required.

That is the home button and 3D Touch cable.

There is nothing you can do to connect it back, but you can replace the entire display to make it work.

Currently there is a standing issue that some replacement screens do not work due to some issues of this cable/connector, but if you are careful and lucky enough, the replacement will work just fine.

Also,

DO NOT REPLACE THE HOME BUTTON.

USE ONLY THE ORIGINAL HOME BUTTON THAT CAME WITH YOUR PHONE

Hi, this one is Touch ID cable, it can be replaced with complete backlight module and cost about $30

Here is a link to this unit on eBay

In this video I´m showing how to swap the backlight of an iPhone 7.

I had to do this repair because of the same problem,.... the cable was brocken.

VIDEO: iPhone 7 - Backlight, Home button, 3D touch repair

That cable appears to be the back light/home button flex. the back light has adhesive around the edges and can be carefully separated from the LCD and replaced but you will need to unsolder the contacts on the remaining flex cable to remove the old back light flex cable.

Anthony will be eternally grateful.