Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

568 Questions View all

Replace upper case - part no.661-5481 keep original components

Hi ifixit,

I have a dent in the corner of a mid 2010 MacBook pro, it's only affecting the upper case part no. 661-5481, I have seen these retail for $299, but have seen some parts on eBay with water damage that are a lot cheaper.

Can the smaller components like trackpad keyboard, power button etc be removed from a fully working but dented upper case and have a new home in a water damaged case?

Apple have said this is not possible, although I'm thinking that it is simply not worth their while.

Thanks for your time.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment
Spread Fixmas Cheer
Get $12 off your purchase of $50 or more with code FIXMAS12
Spread Fixmas Cheer
Get $12 off your purchase of $50 or more with code FIXMAS12

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

It is possible, but, in my opinion, it is not worth the cost of purchasing a part and then the time to completely disassemble your laptop, then reassemble just to fix a dent. It does not sound like dent is causing any functionality problems, it just doesn't look nice.

But if the cost and time and effort is worth it to you to fix a dent, then by all means get a replacement upper case and do the swap. It is possible to swap all those parts over to a replacement upper case.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0


Thanks for the reply!

This is the thing the weigh up of cost/time/effort

A water damaged part is around $79 which seems very reasonable,

although I think apple will not be willing to do the work, I touch it, it loose the warranty.

So I'm pretty stuck,

Thanks again.


Add a comment

Add your answer

Alex Stedall will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 2,131