Parts & Tools

The April 2014 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features refreshed dual-core i5 and i7 processors, plus slightly increased battery performance.

Mac not turning on... (Again!)

An Usual, day before yesterday morning, while I opened my 2.5 year old MBA 13' A1466 (Early-2014) (Opened in the sense, I opened the lid. I usually don't shut it down, ). It wasn't turning on.

In those 2.5 years, I never had a single problem, be it battery life or performance.

My Mac's condition:

• 98 cycles completed. Battery health 98-100% (istat menus' reading)
  • It's always kept on charge and at 100 %. (This is how its been from past 2 years, except for once a month , intended battery drain to below 50%)
  • Neither has the mac ever been dropped nor has water spilled on or in it. It has been handled with utmost care, and also, it hasn't traveled much.
  • It's up to date (macOS 12.2.2)

So, day before yesterday I kept trying by pressing the power button again and again, tried doing SMC reset, then after a while like an half-hour so, It started. I used it the whole day, no problems at all and before I went to bed I just closed the lid (as usual).

Next day when I opened (Like after, 8 hours or so) It didn't turn on. I tried everything present on this and other forums, apple communities etc.., no matter how ridiculous they were (banging, shaking), it all went in vain.

Problem:

• Mac isn't turning on. Appears to be "dead".
  • Neither does the fan start and nor does it make any noise when I press the power button. (I in fact, used a stethoscope to check, if it makes any teeny-tiny squeaky noise and NO, it doesn't).

Here are the things I tried:

• Did SMC reset.
  • Even discharged it a bit by charging mobile device through Mac's usb port. and did SMC reset again.
  • Sightly banged its four corners
  • Shake mac, like I mean it

Finally, in the evening decided to open it up and disconnect the battery. The moment I started to unscrew it, I removed one screw, and just thought of checking once more, before I unscrew all. I pressed power button and BAM! it turned on. I instantly did SMC and PRAM reset, ran the diagnostic tool (no problems were found).

There were slight hiccups though, while doing resets, at time it was not turning on after reset, but may be after 5-10 min or so it turned on.

I then restarted and shut down mac several times, and it went all smooth. There was an OS update to 12.2.2 and I updated.

Same thing I did yesterday night, closed the lid and today morning when I opened it, It isn't turning on.

Do you think there may be any sort of hardware issue?

Please tell me is there anything else I should try. I'm not in a state to goto apple store, as the nearest one is 160 miles away and I have exams to study for and all my notes are in it.

Please Help!!

P.S : Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make everything clear.

Can you feel if it's overheating with your hand?

No, It's not. Its charging fine and there's no over heat.

If you plug it in, what color is the magsafe light?

Well, last night it turned on for a few hours, and at that time charge was 1%, but the magsafe was showing amber. But then after I charged it to 100% it turned green

@iamansar - Mohammed - It looks like the anti-spammer bot the better of you ;-{

Hopefully things will be fixed soon. Hang in there!

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Open, remove and clean the logic board for liquid damage. Likely there will be corrosion on the bottom of the board.

Intermittent issues (as you described in the comments of @pccheese answer, is usually caused by liquid. This has probably affected some of the soldered components as well.

Check the I/O cable and trackpad cable (both ends) for liquid too, for good measure :)

And hey, it has turned on after quite a few hiccups. And its been since then, like 5+ hours. It behaves like as if, nothing has ever happened.

This is whats been happening from past 3 days, I'm going through agony the whole day and late in the evening it starts. I even shut it down and also restarted it quite a few times and it was fine, just like before, but i gotta feeling tomorrow morning I'm gonna go through the same agony.

and No, I haven't spilled any liquid on it, not even on top or bottom outer surface of Mac.

Also , When it booted up, it woke up like it was in sleep, all opened apps and files intact.

I too thought of cleaning the logic board, I saw some tutorial on it, and that made me scared. What if mess up something more? I have already messed up the bottom outer lid pretty badly, while opening it, had to drill out two screws.

Try disconnecting the keyboard from the trackpad, and plugging the charger in (this will turn the Macbook on, if you disconnect and reconnect the battery beforehand). Could be shorting PP3V42_G3H to ground intermittently. Leave it running with the keyboard disconnecting overnight or something, to see if it is fine. What light is the charger when it goes dead?

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but I get a lot of my customers claiming it has never been liquid damaged, but I see corrosion on it. Check the whole logic board for any liquid damage (will be blue/green corrosion).

If you live in a humid environment you can get condensation Vs a true drink spill. A wet case from rain or snow can also be the source.

Disconnecting the keyboard cable directly from the trackpad is a hassle to do for testing purposes.

It's probably better to just unplug the trackpad connector as that as the keyboard cable is plugged into the trackpad connector board.

Otherwise if you really want to unplug the keyboard cable the screwed in battery has to be removed to get to it.

When it works fine all the keys to work fine right?

Hmm could it be corrupted OS in a way? Anyway try holding alt when you turn on the MacBook it should display a boot menu (The one usually with a hard drive icon and a internet recovery icon, the recovery icon sometimes does not pop up or takes time to pop up but anyway one of those icons should appear). Leave it on that screen and see if it shuts off by itself.

If it doesn't then we can rule out the OS or the Solid State Drive which has the Mac OS X operating system on it being at fault.

Hello Mohammed,

I have been looking up the internet for someone having the same issue as I do, and after a lot of searching, I found you ! I felt like I was alone with this issue. I have exactly the same one, I’m going crazy. I have the same Macbook as you as well.

I wanted to know if you found a solution to this issue ? Did you bring it to an Apple Store?

Regards,

Sarah

The same problem is occurring with my MacBook Air I have given it to the service centres twice they have checked it thoroughly and says there are no issues ABSOLUTELY with the Mac

It will not turn on for a day and next day starts working again like nothing happened

same story here ,

i shutdown my macbook pro (latest one) and i opened it after 2 days. it not working. i waited for a day and today i am going to apple store to give this. i dont know whats wrong with this laptop. this is the only peoblem i had ever face.

same issue with my Mac book Air. doesn’t turn on someday and like the user said after some time say 15mins or someday 30mins it suddenly turns on. Local service centers says no issue with power button or anything and unable to help.

What's your OS ?

I found out my issue was because of the APFS format of my SSD that caused the slow boot. So I downgraded to Sierra with a HFS+ (Mac os extended) and it's now booting in 20s!

If you do have a SSD with apfs, you could try enabling TRIM first to see if it changes something. When I did, it went from 10 or + mn to 3 mn.

Hi Sarah ,

Can you guide me with the steps t do it

I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro with the similar issues described here.

Wouldn’t power on at all. Took it to a authorised repair centre. They opened it up, blew some air in, dis/reconnected a few things (unfortunately not sure exactly what), and it started working again. I took it home, worked perfectly. The next day, dead again. Took it back to the store, they couldn’t get it working for several hours, about to give up then it came to life again. They ran diagnostics on it for 24 hours and could find nothing wrong.

They said when it wasn’t working, they tried booting via the onboard power terminals and that still didn’t work, so they thing it’s logic board related rater than the top case.

Kept it in the store a few more days. I’ve just picked up again, and ‘seems’ to be fine. Will see what happens next… would love to know if anyone found out the cause.

This happened to me too. My macbook air refuses to power on, after two days break works perfectly fine then off again. I dont know what to do, it powers on when it wants to!

Same scenario here. Seems to be a common problem but the pattern is difficult to discern. I've seen answers all over the place: from using a blow dryer on the battery for a couple of minutes, to unplugging the battery, to holding power button, removing mag safe, etc. etc. but nothing seems to work longterm for anyone. Let me kow if anyone actually gets a solution!

my macbook air stops powering on suddenly so what i did was visit a local tech who opened my mac, jumpstart the battery and it started working again. however it was again not powering on after a week so what i did was i bought tools and opened it myself. i disconnect and reconnect the battery, which fixed it temporarily. this is what i do every time it wont power on.

today i faced with this problem and the are two scenerios i have experienced;

1 when i unplugged battery cable, leave it like that, then plugged the magsafe adapter -> power button worked every time. (being able to use a mac only with cable. no thanks)

2 when i unplugged battery cable then plugged then plugged the magsafe adapter -> power button worked only one time. after i shutdown the mac didnt workout again.

this means keyboard and battery works. but there is a problem. its so we weird that many people faced with that and still no decent solution :/

ps. : when i reboot everything is fine. this happens only i shut down the mac from os or power button.

Its not operating system related because I blew away the Mac OS and installed a new one (Linux). It still is doing the same thing. Sometimes it will power on right away, usually right after its shut down or it wont power on at all and could take minutes hours or days before it starts again. This is only happening on Mac book air. Never had a laptop do this before and no liquids have ever been spilled on it.

Battery health 1 of 2:

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0

native-path: BAT0

vendor: SMP

model: bq20z451

power supply: yes

updated: Sun 28 Jul 2019 09:19:58 AM EDT (81 seconds ago)

has history: yes

has statistics: yes

battery

present: yes

rechargeable: yes

state: discharging

warning-level: none

energy: 25.1636 Wh

energy-empty: 0 Wh

energy-full: 52.2728 Wh

energy-full-design: 54.34 Wh

energy-rate: 13.5964 W

voltage: 7.53 V

time to empty: 1.9 hours

percentage: 47%

temperature: 34.8 degrees C

capacity: 94.7972%

technology: lithium-ion

icon-name: 'battery-good-symbolic'

Did you check the battery?

the battery is behaving like it always has. I charges and holds a charge. Is there something else about the battery you are referring to.

Install this app CoconutBattery post a snapshot of the main window here for us to see Adding images to an existing answer

I am running linux so coconutbattery not compatible. I will post battery health in next comment. Note that issue also happens when laptop plugged in.

GZ - How about creating a bootable macOS flash drive with CoconutBattery on it as it will be a lot easier figure out your problem. Linux doesn't offer the same level of information. You might want to look for a Linux app which is designed to access the mac battery API's.

I am having the exact same issue with my MacBook Air. Extremely frustrating.

Same here. No consistent answer. Don't even know if anyone has solved it long term.

Hi all! Same issue here with my MBA Early 2014. Running macOS 10.14.16 Mojave version and experiencing the same behavior as described.

I thought that every time I drained the battery the powering on did not work until I disconnected the battery… yes after unscrewing 10 bolts etc :)

Did any of you find a proper solution for this issue?

proper solution is to replace the motherboard says the technician but it cost me at least 100usd so i didnt go with it. what i do is open the MBA everyday so it wont play up and i will not need to open it.

I have the exact same problem. 2 battery replacements. Completely intermittent. I can’t even discern the pattern (close it, open it, etc. etc.). Seems to be a common problem. I was told by tech ‘probably the logicboard’ but that’s an expensive repair. I didn’t have this problem until I replaced the battery. It sometimes seems to fix it when I unscrew back and replace. Or take out battery and replace.

Any new answers anyone? Did cleaning the logic board work? replacing it? Thanks very much. Driving me nuts.

If you need to disconnect the battery and replug it to power on the macbook air, replace the trackpad… Had a few MacBook airs with the same problem. Changing the trackpad did the trick every time.

Hello!

I’ve had this issue multiple times!! I disassembled my entire MacBook Pro and cleaned it with 99.9% alcohol (including the logic board) there is zero corrosion or water damage, no dust and i had brought a brand new battery with 0 charge cycles! Always seems to happen when streaming videos on Disney+, Youtube or Netflix.

I have a Macbook Pro Early 2015 13” and only in the past 1.5 years this has occurred.

My macbook will stay dead for about 2 days and then boot back up like nothing happened for about 2 months before it happens again!

Jake's problem is exactly my problem, too. Same MacBook as well... An Apple Service provider told me it could be because of a damaged logicboard. If I dont touch my MacBook for 1 or two days, it is able to boot. After some hours, ist crashes and freezes during the restart. In verbose mode, I can see a kernel panic...

Hello, I decided that it was time to buy myself a new logic board for £205 which i replaced myself! Since the replacement i’ve had zero problems including no over heating. So the logic board was the issue. However i managed to sell my faulty board on eBay for £105 so was very happy! Hope this helps you too!!

Thanks for your answer! I have no experience with opening and reparing MacBooks... And on eBay, the MBP Early 2015 logicboards are offered for over 300 USD... Will have to think about it

I had my MacBook Air for over 2 and a half years and I’ve recently had the exact same issues. Never had any issues before with the laptop but it just stopped working one day. It cost me £467 to get the motherboard replaced and now the laptop won’t make it past the loading bar!

I am facing the same issue…. in 2020… it stopped turning on and after a week turned on as if nothing happened. Any one found any solution?

Replacing the logic board fixed the problem!

Mohammed Ansar will be eternally grateful.