GPS navigator released in May 2013. Equipped with top of the line features including free lifetime map updates and traffic alerts.

Can't update my device

keep connecting the gps to my computer but nothing happens

Magellan needs to honor the labeled advertisement “Lifetime Updates” on the outside of the box that the updates are good only for three years and not for a lifetime, very, very deceptive/shotty/poor sells practice.  I will never buy another Magellan device again and will pass the word along.  Hopefully they go out of business for not honoring the label “Lifetime Map Updates”

all they have to do is create an executable file that owners can download to their computers and run/install the update, very poor programming on their part, pi$$ing off customers is apparently their customer satisfaction motto. The first update program was horrible, almost never worked because they didn't have an adequate server to manage the connections, consistantely kicked out because too busy... Had to leave one of my GPS connected for two days to get it to update (using the old program) and now they force you to use a particular browser plugin to do the updates (very cheesy indeed), and that doesn't work as well. A history of bad programming on their part... Too bad I purchase two devices and lifetime updates for one that didn't have the service available with it and now they are basically junk…..

While being fully registered and connected, I have tried for months to update my RM5632T-LM. The tech continually tells me that the site is being updated and asks for my patience. It has been at least six months. Now they don't even respond to my requests for news on the readiness of the update site. This GPS is a good product, but the update service is horrible. I would never have bought it if I would have known.

Same here. i'll never buy a Magellan gps again...

3 hrs trying to update 5235T to no avail !! tried every suggestion and instructions given by web site !! giving up !!!! just plain ridicilous !!!!

OPEN ALL THE TABS

RAM Upgrade Kits for Mac

Shop Kits

Enough RAM
For All The Tabs

Shop Kits

Most Helpful Answer

Check out the below steps to get Magellan GPS Update?

• Provide a power source to the GPS unit so as to charge the battery level and ensure a smooth update.
  • Install Magellan content Manager from the main official website of Magellan and launch the same using your account information.
  • In case you have not created a personal account on the main website, create one right away. The main page will help you to create an account with step by step directions.
  • Link your computer and GPS unit using a USB cable and turn on on the GPS unit manually if it does not automatically turn on.
  • Subsequently, right click upon the content manager icon located in the system tray in your Windows. Choose OS X and check out the update now. In case any Magellan GPS Update available for your GPS unit, they will be prompted right here on your screen.
  • Install the update in your GPS unit at once the installation is completed, disconnect the device right away.
  • The GPS unit shall restart automatically on its own.

I plugged Magellan GPS in for a while after several years of dormant ,no activity. Now when I plug in screen lights up but no words or icons symbols. So now what?

Your device may not be registered to receive updates. You can register your device at http://www.smartgpseco.com/#sign/sign_in. After registering , you can plug your GPS into the computer to receive updates. Be sure that the computer and GPS are responding to being connected, otherwise this may suggest that the USB connector cable is faulty and should be replaced. If you are still having difficulties, you should contact Magellan directly for support for this issue.

Maybe so it could

You might want to check for a secure connection in the USB ports. The one for your GPS might have stopped working properly. Your computer might be messed up as well.

Hi I made  Content Manager work for my new Magellan RoadMate (Sept. 2018) by following his method in Windows 10. When Windows Installer gives you the option, install to C:/Magellan (so you can find the contents later). Go to that folder in Windows file explorer. Right click the file with the iconm titled mngContentManger (it is a plug-in and not a program), select option of run as administrator. Double left click the same file. Now go to the latest version of Chrome browser. Visit the website www.smartgpseco.com and log-in. Bingo, after a short spell, your computer should recognize your plugged in RoadMate and you can start the map update process. Note that you will need to eject the gps device when completed. If you want to revisit the update site for some reason, you will need to reboot and go through the process again. Worked like a charm for me after two days of tearing my hair out. Frank in Canada

Correction typo: First line, that's 'this method.' 3rd line the word is icon. I also confirmed by repeat trials that this method works and the RoadMate performs well. Frank

This is how I resolved the issue on Magellan RM 5202-LM.

1. Use only Google Chrome browser (for Windows)
  2. Register your product and account
  3. Plug in your device to the computer using the USB cable provided
  4. Login at https://www.smartgpseco.com/#sign/sign_i...
  5. After login you might see “No device detected” at left bottom corner (I did)
  6. Click “Update” tab on top left side
  7. You might see a notification to download a “Plugin” , click to download, note the location folder of the download
  8. Log off from smartgpscom.com.
  9. Close all the browser windows (very important)
  10. Do not detach the GPS unit from the computer
  11. Double click the downloaded plugin file to install (follow the steps suggested by the installation program)
  12. Open the browser and re-login https://www.smartgpseco.com/#sign/sign_i...
  13. Now you should be able to see your device in left bottom corner
  14. If your date of purchase is within three years, you should be able to update the maps
  15. (Life time map upgrade is valid only up to three years from the date of purchase. Darn, I did not know this).

when i purchased the two devices, no where on the box or container did it state the three year validity, out-right fraud, you should refund all who purchased the device when it clearly stated on the box LIFETIME upgrades...

This is the response that I got from Magellan tech support for my 1700 RoadMate:

“Please note that your unit has the latest map version 61 installed. Due to that, there will be no longer map update available for your unit. This is due to the technological advances in mapping data over that past few years. The size of the mapping data is too great to be handled by the older hardware.

We suggest purchasing a brand-new Magellan device that has all the latest technological advances, map updates, and full one-year warranty. You may visit our online store for more details. You may click on the link below:

https://www.magellangps.com/store/”

Hi Felix, try connecting your GPS to an older version of Windows. Probably Windows 7. A lot of drivers were not integrated into Windows 8/Windows 10. Its both Magellan’s and Windows fault. There are still lots of computers out there running older O/S systems. Any operating system will work. Just not Windows 8 or Windows 10. Good luck! I found this fix as a last desperate attempt to fix the time and out dated maps on my Magellan 5520.

Strangely…no internet web sites gave this solution and neither did the Magellan techs know either. By the way. The Windows ‘compatibility’ thing is useless. Don’t even try it. Find yourself an older system out there…run everything like you have been doing. It should work. Let me know.

Garmin Express is a user-friendly application that allows you to monitor the devices on your computer. It can be used for registration of a new product, store all the fitness data, synchronization of the remote device data and much more. Garmin Express Updater provides you with the latest updates for maps and Garmin devices, and also provides solutions to errors on these products. In addition to that, it is compatible with Windows and Mac. Download it for free here Garmin Express Updater.

Here are the steps to update Magellan Maps for free:

• The moment you start with the Magellan map download and update for free, make sure the device is fully charged so that there is no disturbance while updating.
  • After this, go to their official website to download and install the content manager.
  • After you have successfully install Magellan Content Manager, launch it and log in using the Magellan account credentials. If you do not have an account, then you need to set one up using the information followed on-screen.
  • After this step, you need to connect your smart navigation device to your computer through a USB cable. The unit must turn on automatically. If it doesn’t then there is a problem and you need to call our technical experts for help.

Felix Muwanguzi will be eternally grateful.