Any possibility to replace Homebutton AND have Touch ID still working?

I do a lot of phone repairs and I have some customers who tried replacing the screen on their iPhones by themself and brokr their home button (mostly the flex cable).

Is there any possibility to get Touch ID working again without getting it repaired or replaced by Apple?

It is possible but only apple center can do that and I did replace my customer screen and home button at apple store and it worked after they replaced that. it needs to be repair after replace it but don't know how.

Does anybody know how much a home button replacement costs at the Apple center? And is Apple Care specifically required for the replacement?

Most Helpful Answer

Not that I have found and I've for sure tried. Best I can figure out is there is a chip in the Touch ID button that is paired with the logic board at the factory. That information is stored somewhere at board level, since a wipe/restore doesn't reset it.

Touch ID is pretty freaking solid security. I'll give Apple a win on this one.

That may only apply to iPhone 5s. iPhone 6 home button has only one chip, the sensor chip itself.

There has to be something storing the identifier.

Doesn't there?

I mean...its not stored on unicorn farts. There has to be something that stores the identifier of the home button, or swapping home buttons would be possible.

Right?

Yes. The iPhone 5s button has 2 parts, the sensor chip behind the crystal and the controller chip on the flex, also the other end of the chain would be the A7 CPU. However starting with iPhone 6, Apple started using a one-chip solution, the sensor chip and the controller chip are one and only.

I've heard people fixing home button flexes by splicing broken ends together, replacing malfunctioning caps/chokes/resistors on it, or even migrating the controller chip for iPhone 5s (not confirmed) but chip migration would not be possible for home buttons on iPhone 6 and above because there is only one chip and it is not possible to pull it off the crystal.

is it glued to the crystal? As I have a home button which has small cracks but works i.e. TOUCH ID etc. had to replace screen and got a new home button with the new screen. Need to replace the button only does not look good with the cracked button, please help.

Unfortunately not (that I'm aware of). It is linked to the processor with a unique ID, so if both do not match, touch ID will not work. Apple did this for security reasons.

I heard that there is a method with soldering(?) the chip from the flex or something like that.. And wouldn't it be possible to get to know the unique ID of the processor and change it on the homebutton?

How nerdy do you want me to get? I have a pretty good understanding of how it works, I just don't know how to explain it in a simple manner.

In theory, yes. If you could read the ID of the processor, and had software to change the ID on the chip on the home button, you could. As far as I know, this hasn't been done yet.

It might be done in future, but as Josh says, Apple is very tight with their security. To put it this way, still cannot find a way to reprogram SMC chips from MacBooks made years ago, so I can't buy them new and instead have to pull them from broken boards...

@joshw Please try to explain :)

This is my logic:

Apple does not make the Touch ID scanner and logic board together but you cannot use non matching parts, so at some point they are paired. The Touch ID does have an IC and the phone has its ICs, so at some point the two are paired together through programming. It would only make sense that when the software is loaded on the phone, it finds the Touch ID identifier and creates a unique internal code. If either of those parts are swapped, the code doesn't check and Touch ID fails.

Since no amount of of software hacking has been able to decode or encode this, its almost certainly a one time event that can't be redone without using whatever method is used at the factory. I am used to Android programming, so in my mind its some sort of MD5 check.

Literally not possible if you replace the button.

It is possible to splice the broken home button back together if you have the skills. However there is no "chip" on an iPhone 6 home button. The only chip is the sensor chip fused to the sapphire face of the button, it is not possible to remove the chip from the button or extract any data from it.

Thanks very much for the info' bro

i have ip6s 64gb MKQP2J/A, i check that must be silver 64gb, but my iphone are GOLD with gold ring around the home, touch id workss fine! strange enough huh? any idea what s going on with my iphone?

hi, I have the same problem to. But there's no sense in paring the original touch button with CPU since the fingerprint info is located somewhere in the logic board.

With some internet search, I've been able to find some solutions, just entering in DFU mode and reset the iphone, or disconnect the power to flush it.

Could be luck or not but since they did it, it worth a try.

Why to make things complicated, my Ipad works with the finger print of my Wife,s Finger, so every time want to use this Ipad Touch ID , she should be there for me ,???

If anyone happen to come across my situation, do let me know whats the best way to solve my situation. i really have problems regarding with my iphone 6 home button where specifically it's completely spoilt. And i remember having a spare of an iphone 6 but only its motherboard(internally) damaged. No damages externally. Mainly, the reason to why i wanted to do this only because of my spoilt touch id and the other spare iphone 6's touch id works perfectly fine. is there any possibility of replacing my current motherboard to the spare one so i can have my phone work complete fine with working touch id, functioning motherboard and other relatable parts that is function, specifically works like a brand new iphone 6.

ppalfinger will be eternally grateful.