Any possibility to replace Homebutton AND have Touch ID still working?

I do a lot of phone repairs and I have some customers who tried replacing the screen on their iPhones by themself and brokr their home button (mostly the flex cable).

Is there any possibility to get Touch ID working again without getting it repaired or replaced by Apple?

It is possible but only apple center can do that and I did replace my customer screen and home button at apple store and it worked after they replaced that. it needs to be repair after replace it but don't know how.

Does anybody know how much a home button replacement costs at the Apple center? And is Apple Care specifically required for the replacement?

Most Helpful Answer

Not that I have found and I've for sure tried. Best I can figure out is there is a chip in the Touch ID button that is paired with the logic board at the factory. That information is stored somewhere at board level, since a wipe/restore doesn't reset it.

Touch ID is pretty freaking solid security. I'll give Apple a win on this one.

That may only apply to iPhone 5s. iPhone 6 home button has only one chip, the sensor chip itself.

There has to be something storing the identifier.

Doesn't there?

I mean...its not stored on unicorn farts. There has to be something that stores the identifier of the home button, or swapping home buttons would be possible.

Right?

Yes. The iPhone 5s button has 2 parts, the sensor chip behind the crystal and the controller chip on the flex, also the other end of the chain would be the A7 CPU. However starting with iPhone 6, Apple started using a one-chip solution, the sensor chip and the controller chip are one and only.

I've heard people fixing home button flexes by splicing broken ends together, replacing malfunctioning caps/chokes/resistors on it, or even migrating the controller chip for iPhone 5s (not confirmed) but chip migration would not be possible for home buttons on iPhone 6 and above because there is only one chip and it is not possible to pull it off the crystal.

is it glued to the crystal? As I have a home button which has small cracks but works i.e. TOUCH ID etc. had to replace screen and got a new home button with the new screen. Need to replace the button only does not look good with the cracked button, please help.

Literally not possible if you replace the button.

It is possible to splice the broken home button back together if you have the skills. However there is no "chip" on an iPhone 6 home button. The only chip is the sensor chip fused to the sapphire face of the button, it is not possible to remove the chip from the button or extract any data from it.

Thanks very much for the info' bro

Unfortunately not (that I'm aware of). It is linked to the processor with a unique ID, so if both do not match, touch ID will not work. Apple did this for security reasons.

I heard that there is a method with soldering(?) the chip from the flex or something like that.. And wouldn't it be possible to get to know the unique ID of the processor and change it on the homebutton?

How nerdy do you want me to get? I have a pretty good understanding of how it works, I just don't know how to explain it in a simple manner.

In theory, yes. If you could read the ID of the processor, and had software to change the ID on the chip on the home button, you could. As far as I know, this hasn't been done yet.

It might be done in future, but as Josh says, Apple is very tight with their security. To put it this way, still cannot find a way to reprogram SMC chips from MacBooks made years ago, so I can't buy them new and instead have to pull them from broken boards...

@joshw Please try to explain :)

This is my logic:

Apple does not make the Touch ID scanner and logic board together but you cannot use non matching parts, so at some point they are paired. The Touch ID does have an IC and the phone has its ICs, so at some point the two are paired together through programming. It would only make sense that when the software is loaded on the phone, it finds the Touch ID identifier and creates a unique internal code. If either of those parts are swapped, the code doesn't check and Touch ID fails.

Since no amount of of software hacking has been able to decode or encode this, its almost certainly a one time event that can't be redone without using whatever method is used at the factory. I am used to Android programming, so in my mind its some sort of MD5 check.

There is a way to keep the touch ID when reparing a iPhone home button. I refurbish phones and sell then on eBay. I have a bunch of home buttons and mixed them up and needed to find the right home button for the phone I was working on. I called Apple and they told me it could be done, but never got to tell me how, because I had to hang up and really I just thought the representative didn't know what she was talking about.

Well, that night I was fixing a phone with a black screen and just grab any button to test it and I put the phone in recovery mode and after I started to set it up the finger scan didn't fail and I was able to use the Touch ID. The they was I had used a white button and the Touch ID was working and it couldn't have been the original since my screen was a black screen. I called Apple again and was told that yes it should work. What the rep explained to me was that some companies don't put the correct hardware on the home buttons they sell to save money, but if you purchase a quality one it will be able to reset the Touch ID to work by doing a full system restore in DFU mode. So who knew you can restore the Touch ID it just depends on the home button you purchased. They did say that the Apple Store and Best Buy can repare it for you and keep your Touch ID.

That white home button, was it original Apple home button, just from other iPhone?

I am not sure but the Apple rep said it has to be high quality. My guess is would have to be Apple. I would call the iPhone help line every time I call they are very helpful.

I can't confirm what Richard said. After your post I was very curious if this method would work, so I put two iPhones apart and tried the Homebutton from the one iPhone on the other one, but also after a normal reset and a reset in DFU mode the phone still gives me a touch ID error...

I am pretty sure it happened maybe a lucky one which I doubt. I read if that it can be done with jailbreak. If this is true then this to me is the most likely reason. I read if you jailbreak it then even if you go back to Apples firmware button stays linked. I tried to also duplicate what happened to me and it hasnt worked again. I took buttons with original buttons put them on another phones and nothing. I called apple again they again told me it can be done. I started to feel like they were trying to get me to go change the screen and button at the apple store. They said that definitely works. I dont know if that is true. Thinking of going to app store with a phone with nonworking home button and getting screen and button replaced. This way I will know if they are just switching the button pretending to program it but I have spoken to 4 Apple reps on the phone and all of them practically quaranteed to me it could be done. I will research jailbreak method. I think I can have a better chance that way.

Jailbreaking will not work, the security pairing works below the OS level. There is a pairing routine in the firmware but requires Apple server signing the request like when you update the system. Unlike system updating, this server is usually not available to the public. Maybe a glitch happened so somehow you actually reached it and it signed the request for you.

I actually got a new one to work , I first disconnected the battery , disconnected the lcd , battery back on let it start up connected to a computer so you know when it has started up , then disconnect battery again , on the lcd disconnect the home button , then reattach the lcd , let it start up then shut it down again , connect the home button again and start up , then shut down and restore in dfu mode , then it will work , it basically rewrites the the code for the home button , I have done this on many many phones now with 100% success , hope it helps

Did you tried it with original Apple home button from other device or with some replacement part?

I tried your method and in my case on iPhone 6S wont work

Can you retype what you said plz I can’t really understand what your saying

was it a home button from Apple, very interesting

How do you identify an Apple original home button. I have about 20 Apple original screens and none have a home button with an apple on it.

i have ip6s 64gb MKQP2J/A, i check that must be silver 64gb, but my iphone are GOLD with gold ring around the home, touch id workss fine! strange enough huh? any idea what s going on with my iphone?

Where did you find the info (ip6s 64gb MKQP2J/A)?

If it was in your settings, you maybe have another mainboard and Homebutton than the one your iPhone was produced.

hi, I have the same problem to. But there's no sense in paring the original touch button with CPU since the fingerprint info is located somewhere in the logic board.

With some internet search, I've been able to find some solutions, just entering in DFU mode and reset the iphone, or disconnect the power to flush it.

Could be luck or not but since they did it, it worth a try.

Why to make things complicated, my Ipad works with the finger print of my Wife,s Finger, so every time want to use this Ipad Touch ID , she should be there for me ,???

You can actually add more than one finger print for TouchID access or disable TouchID and use a 4-digit or 6-digit passcode instead.

Not possible, iOS is so clever it can tell if the prints are the same person or not ;) :)

If anyone happen to come across my situation, do let me know whats the best way to solve my situation. i really have problems regarding with my iphone 6 home button where specifically it's completely spoilt. And i remember having a spare of an iphone 6 but only its motherboard(internally) damaged. No damages externally. Mainly, the reason to why i wanted to do this only because of my spoilt touch id and the other spare iphone 6's touch id works perfectly fine. is there any possibility of replacing my current motherboard to the spare one so i can have my phone work complete fine with working touch id, functioning motherboard and other relatable parts that is function, specifically works like a brand new iphone 6.

U said the other board was damaged...

My phone is iphone 5s. what if i get the working home botton of iphone 5s and i tranfer it into another iphone 5s.can i used the touch id again

No touchid is unique

NO, the touch ID will not work.

130 euros or phone replacement or in the worst situation just 20euros for nothing (here in Cyprus)

What if you transfer original home button from other iPhone 6, will touch ID work?

No. It has been tired countless times.

If you transfer the original home button it will definitely work. So if you take it to a store to fix the screen make sure you tell them to switch the home button, so you can keep your touch assist

just to let you know how.. My Home button on my iPhone 6S cracked, and I needed to buy another one. I got one from eBay, for around 5$. Have installed it, and its working just fine. Except Touch ID. I tried with restore in DFU mode, as some users here suggested, but had no luck to get Touch ID to work. Maybe its possible just with original home button from Apple. If someone found the way to get Touch ID to work after home button replacement, please let me know.

I replaced screen on my iPhone 5s Touch ID failed luckily had the flex of original fingerprint scanner put that back on the phone Viola was working again, can definitely say it’s chip pairing with logic board. Got a iPhone 6 Plus to try on next will let you know the results soon

ppalfinger will be eternally grateful.