Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Why does my SSD crash my computer

Hi there fellow humans,

I recently installed a SSD (internally) as a startup disk in my Mac Pro (Early 2009). Unfortunately it often crashes - at random times - and the only way to get my computer functioning again is to hold down the power button. This problem even happens when I go back to using my old hard drive as the Startup Disk.

The SSD is a Mercury Electra 3G 480GB drive from OWC.

I'm rather perplexed...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ta,

Seb

Well it shouldn't. I'm running a 512 SSD in mine with no issues. How was it formatted? Do you have a secondary standard boot drive installed and does it crash when using that one? What operating system are you running? Was there an update or upgrade you've done recently?

Hi Mayer,

Thanks for your response.

My SSD is formatted as Journaled, with a GUID Partition Map.

I recently upgraded my operating system from 10.8 to El Capitan (10.11.4), but I was having problems with the old OS X too.

I have a secondary startup disk (on my Mac's original hard drive) and the SSD crashes that too when it suddenly seems to eject itself.

I thought I may have had a faulty drive, but I tried another one (the same kind - Mercury Electra) and that one also disappears from view and crashes my system.

Any thoughts...?

Cheers,

Seb

Since it does it with the old drive, I don't think the issue is the drive. Are you getting a Kernel panic on your crash? Have you changed the RAM configuration?

FYI - if your get the problem solved and want to go to Sierra, here's how I did it: EFI and Firmware update from 4,1 to 5,1 for Sierra Upgrade Solved

Seb will be eternally grateful.