DeWalt DW997 1/2" 18 V VSR Cordless Drill

Why is there a burning smell coming from my drill?

When I turn on and use my drill it has a burning smell coming from it. What can I do to stop the smell from happening?

Check your drill vents to see if there is anything stuck in them. If there is, clear it out before turning it back on. If not, it's probably your carbon brushes wearing out. Check the vents to see if there are sparks when you turn the drill on. Sparks means you're good, no sparks means the brushes need to be replaced. Check the troubleshooting page for more info: Troubleshooting

Most Helpful Answer

Kevin, as Katie was suggesting could be caused by dirt/dust in drill, if you have access to compressed air and blow gun, blow air through the rear air vent louvers to blow out dust and debris and try drill.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

@lpfaff1 Watch out for these kinds of questions and check the OP and the answer. They are school projects.

mayer, thanks for the heads up.

Kevin will be eternally grateful.